NWI INGO General Thread #27 - Fresh Pink Air On US-30 smells like...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'll watch these later to see what exactly he says. I've watched a few of his other videos before and he's usually OK but he seems to mostly deal in cheap Chinese crap. Midland is an American company but a lot of their radios are Chinese.
    He seems to focus on:

BTech (Baofeng)
    Wouxun
    Midland

His reviews of the Wouxun seem to be the most glowing, but they generally are also on the expensive side of the spectrum. Most (maybe all) are superheterodyne construction, while the BTech and Midland are radio on a chip designs. BTech radios seem to generally have more bleed over between channels than the either Midland or Wouxun in his reviews. He suggests Midland is built like a tank, Wouxun is build very well, Btech not so much.

If I had to guess, I think he probably favors Wouxun over Midland.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Back from daughters concert at the middle school tonight. Gotta travel to Kankakee Valley this weekend for her ISSMA competition. 45 minute drive each way for roughly a 7-10 minute performance, but it's around lunchtime so anyone know of any good restaurants in the area of the school down there?

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Back from daughters concert at the middle school tonight. Gotta travel to Kankakee Valley this weekend for her ISSMA competition. 45 minute drive each way for roughly a 7-10 minute performance, but it's around lunchtime so anyone know of any good restaurants in the area of the school down there?
    Boundry Waters is my parents go to restaurant, that is in DeMotte. Yesteryears is always good, that is a little butcher that makes great lunches. If you go to Yesteryears, I suggest the italian beef and have them dip it. Best in the region. There used to be a bunch of places to eat around Kankakee Valley, but Covid did a lot of them in.
    There is also Marcalla's right across the street from Kankakee Valley. Pizza there used to be pretty good, but I heard there are new owners.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I usually eat at SP19, but that's at Sandy Pines golf course. Boundary Waters is about all that I can remember.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So what are these actually used for? Just a hobby or is there real usefulness?
    HAM is useful when the other civilized networks go down. Most people think of end of the world type stuff but more often scenarios is when the big telecom can't handle the traffic.

Best scenario jedi has is very large gatherings especially around indy when they had the colts game/concert.

Cellphone towers were down due to huge demand on network traffic. So peeps could not get a call out or text msg since tower's were overloaded with traffic.

Those that had ham radios could communicate with their parties no issues.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    @melensdad

In a real shtf HAM with or without a license will be the way to go. FCC is not going to hunt you down for not having a license when the shtf.

Plus having a HAM radio you can always listen in on stuff even if you never transmit.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    My grandson and granddaughter will be there also for middle school orchestra competition.

Top Bottom