NWI INGO General Thread #27 - Fresh Pink Air On US-30 smells like...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    How hard is it to get the gmrs license? Would you mind sharing what handhelps/truck rig looks like? Or brand?

Can you talk on channels without others dropping in like on a walkie or is anyone on that channel with you?
    You more or less just register on the FCC website and pay $35 for the GMRS

The truck rig is a Yaesu FTM300DR HAM radio modified to also go up to the GMRS bands. There is no privacy on radio. There are a long variety of "squelch tones" which are a setting in the radios that filters out other traffic from anybody else who might hop on unless they also have the same one set in their radio. Others can still hear you though.

I'll take a picture later when I decide to put on pants.

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    You more or less just register on the FCC website and pay $35 for the GMRS

The truck rig is a Yaesu FTM300DR HAM radio modified to also go up to the GMRS bands. There is no privacy on radio. There are a long variety of "squelch tones" which are a setting in the radios that filters out other traffic from anybody else who might hop on unless they also have the same one set in their radio. Others can still hear you though.

I'll take a picture later when I decide to put on pants.
    Gotcha on my handheld walkie i can go to a channel and then pick a “small” channel im assuming that is the squelch? When someone else keys in they disturb but we don’t hear them they can hear us even if we cannot hear them?

Sorry for my non technical terms…. Lol

It would be great if I could find a solution to talk from Morocco to crown point. Without cell

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Gotcha on my handheld walkie i can go to a channel and then pick a “small” channel im assuming that is the squelch? When someone else keys in they disturb but we don’t hear them they can hear us even if we cannot hear them?

Sorry for my non technical terms…. Lol

It would be great if I could find a solution to talk from Morocco to crown point. Without cell
    The regular squelch function is set a lot like a volume control. It filters signals based on power level. So you might have a far away station that's reaching you with just static so you adjust the squelch up to filter that out.

Squelch tones are often just called "tone" or broken down by the type of technology used to implement them. Tone or CTCSS uses a sub audible tone to signal to another radio set to the same tone setting to allow that traffic through. DCS is another one that uses digital voodoo to do the same thing.

Think of it like putting on a pair of colored lenses. You put on red lenses and you won't see yellow and blue but everyone else without lenses will still see the whole spectrum of colors.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Have that same stock on my 10/22 or very similar has adjustable comb too?? I love it
    With adjustable comb that's the Boyds "At One" stock. Have that one my 6.5 creedmoor.

The one iI posted above is the Boyds "Agility".

Here's the 6.5 in the Boyd's At One thumbhole.

20210224_185155.jpg
    And the daughters 10/22 wearing a Boyd's "Spike Camp" stock

20201005_190809.jpg

In case you can't tell I'm a fan of Boyd's products....lol

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    With adjustable comb that's the Boyds "At One" stock. Have that one my 6.5 creedmoor.

View attachment 338145

View attachment 338146

I have the Boyd's "At One" stock on my Savage MKII. It is amazing, so comfortable. I am a big fan of the Boyd's stocks.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012

View attachment 338145

View attachment 338146

Yep at one is right mine isn’t thumb hole though. It is very nice.

Never mind it is a thumb hole lol

Last edited:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    WTH is going on today!?

'2 vehicle’s shooting at each other , Lake County line and 6

One Vehicle was in the crossfire, window got shattered in the back

Black Chevy cruse as the suspect vehicle. Last seen NB on County Line. Another Suspect vehicles are green looking vehicle. no injuries

Victim at the Luke’s gas station"

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    WTH is going on today!?

'2 vehicle’s shooting at each other , Lake County line and 6

One Vehicle was in the crossfire, window got shattered in the back

Black Chevy cruse as the suspect vehicle. Last seen NB on County Line. Another Suspect vehicles are green looking vehicle. no injuries

Victim at the Luke’s gas station"

Those darn Amish people are running wild today

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Anyone been to Runnings? Looks like watseka and Michigan city are closest? Did they take over big r?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I know enough to know that you are not going to transmit from Morocco to Crown Point on GMRS unless there is a 'repeater' that covers both Morocco & Crown Point. Not sure if the Crete repeater does that. I've looked at the range of the Crete repeater on a map and don't think it reaches as far south as Morocco.

When repeaters are 'linked' they are connected by the internet, so dependent on the internet being up. From what I can tell from my investigations, they typically use the Zello app. Consequently not ideal in an emergency.

Theoretically its possible to simulcast from repeater to repeater to repeater that are linked over the airwaves instead of via the interwebs, but they (each of those repeaters) all have to be run specifically for that purpose and in range of each other. I'm not sure that any such system like that exists. I was exploring the possibility of communicating Lowell to Morocco to Kentland to Fowler to W.Lafayette via repeaters. Technically and theoretically possible, practically improbable. To do something like that you'd probably have to set up your own network of repeaters. Morocco to Crown Point, using 'consumer grade' repeaters, at roughly $1k for each, would require probably 3 25 watt (?) repeaters, properly spaced, with good enough antennas to cover that distance. That assumes you put those up yourself, on land or buildings with owners who let you do that. Tower companies charge big bucks to put your antenna on their tower.

GMRS is shared airwaves, linking repeaters multiplies the number of users with access to very limited number of available channels.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    It's on like a 300' tower so it has a huge footprint. Bigger than some of the local ham clubs' repeaters even.

Top Bottom