Not open for further replies.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Drove by Westforth's last week. The building is for sale.

Blythe's is a remnant of what it once was.

There are no more cool gun shops left in the area. The only old school gunshop around
    is Gauntlet out in Kouts.

Maybe Pelcher's in Lansing.
    South County in Schererville is my go-to. Nice guys and good selection.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI

There are no more cool gun shops left in the area. The only old school gunshop around

Gauntlet is nice, and not in the ghetto, but not a great turnover for guns as I remember it. Copper Customs is about as close to the old Blythe's as you can get. But it is north of 30, so it is still in the ghetto.

I'm pretty lucky to have a nice gun shop here in Kokomo. They actually pay their staff decently, but that means higher used gun prices, sometimes I can talk them down.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    South County in Schererville is my go-to. Nice guys and good selection.
    They are nice and sometimes have cool old things which is what I like anymore. Nobody is giving up the interesting old
    ones and when they do ask ridiculous prices. Can't find anymore "targets of opportunity". The ones you think about
    but never search for and then see it at a great deal out of the blue. Picked up many that way, like a mint Marlin 39a from
    1952 for $300 that is pre micro groove.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    :(

When did Westforth close?
    Is that the one that was by or in Gary?

It was in the ghetto. Went there once or twice. Nice place especially for it's location. They prolly just could not fight all the legal battles of straw purchases anymore.
    The stench of marijuana usually made me turn around and walk back out

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I bought my first gun at Westforth's. Almost didn't. It was a .357 LCR. Used but in good shape with night sights. I was looking at it and a Gary cop who may have been security or may have just been hanging around, noticed it and took an interest, asking to see it while I was looking at it. I asked if he could wait until I was finished looking. He gave a subtle nod to the salesman, who then said, "I'm sorry, ma'am, this one is sold." I turned to the cop and said "Playing dirty and taking advantage of a woman? I hope your mama's proud." I walked out with the gun. I also drove home very carefully.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Westforth's used to have a younger short brunette working the counter. When I asked her if they had a Colt series 70
    1911 she said all 1911's are series 70. :nuts: I walked out. I think she was there to attract customers and went to the interview
    with a mattress on her back.

Having said that they were good before they built the new building and the brothers worked the counter. I bought my favorite
    carry 1911 there along with a nice Browning Hi-Power that I sent to Novak's for some work.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point

when did blythes or westforth ever qualify as a "cool" gun store?

armory 219
    copper custom
    south county
    sheepdog (both cp and dyer, even though they are unrelated)

all would qualify as good shops in the area to me

FYI: there's a new shop coming soon to cedar lake on morse, can't recall the name at the moment.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    There actually was a gun store downtown Highland for a short time. Waaaay back when there was Milikan's in Hammond.
    Another really cool one was on Chicago Ave in north Hammond. Both owners, husband and wife, were killed at separate times
    in robberies. Hansen's was on Ridge and Kleinmann in Highland.

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    On the gun store topic, went and visited the girl child down in Terrible Haute. 'Top Gun' on the South end of 41 is pretty legit if anyone is traveling passed. Has a pizza restaurant, rock climbing area, ice cream shop and had a setup for a live band. Pretty cool store for a college town.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    On the gun store topic, went and visited the girl child down in Terrible Haute. 'Top Gun' on the South end of 41 is pretty legit if anyone is traveling passed. Has a pizza restaurant, rock climbing area, ice cream shop and had a setup for a live band. Pretty cool store for a college town.
    jedi has passed it a few time but never stopped in. Pizza and guns. Yummy

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I stop at Top Gun every time I'm within 20 miles of it. Bought a few guns there. Decent deals, they had a huge amount of used guns last time I was there.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    There actually was a gun store downtown Highland for a short time. Waaaay back when there was Milikan's in Hammond.
    Another really cool one was on Chicago Ave in north Hammond. Both owners, husband and wife, were killed at separate times
    in robberies. Hansen's was on Ridge and Kleinmann in Highland.
    ya know I forgot about Shema's in merrilliville too, Jim was a great guy (and a great shot) https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Marksman+is+on-target+with+armed+robbers.-a0125957133

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    The best gun I let get away was at Shema's. I asked about old lever guns and he went to the back room. Pulled out
    a very nice original Winchester 1873 in an old, maybe original, wooden box with some accessories. Asking price
    was $3500. I was young at the time and didn't have the money. That would have been well worth long time
    interest on a credit card. I regret passing on that one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom