• Status
    Not open for further replies.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I have to be careful of how I speak about some RMs and their BS perceived power. Lots of great men and women, too, but man, sometimes it's like dealing with the VP of the Homeowners' Association (those of you in the know, you feel me).

Most of the time, the guys at Kingsbury are top notch. They run a pretty tight ship. This guy was the opposite. I had 5 lanes in the handgun range going.....me, my close friend, and some young new shooters. We probably unloaded about 500 rounds in 30 minutes. Everyone swept up when we were done and put their brass in the buckets. I took the two buckets by our stations and sat them on the table and started sorting through the brass. 90% of what was in the bucket was mine. I was moslty concerned with my .45acp. As I was sifting through the brass, the douche came up to me and said...."sir, you are only allowed to take your brass. The other brass the is the property of the range." I said that I reload and It is important that I leave with approx what I came with. I told him that I wasn't looking to scavenge, just to replace what I shot. He goes on to basically repeat himself. I say,well, I don't engrave all my brass so I can't be 100% sure. Then he says "you can't walk down the line and scavenge for brass." That's when I lost it. I say in a harsh tone...."I'M NOT.......NOW STOP REPEATING YOURSELF AND LEAVE ME ALONE." The guy finally walked away and left me alone. Later on, I saw him snagging a guys .308 brass that was flinging around. He was obviously a brass scavenger himself. Oh well......end of rant.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    @groovatron
    I just did a google image search for "bad dog".
    On page 4 of that search I found the image.
    bad dog - Google Search

FYI if you type in just bad dog the first page is not going to be "NR-17" rated. There is a bit of semi-adlut content that google is bringing up (no nudity). Even with the "safe search" mode one.

I was going to use this image:
    Bad%20Boy%20Dog.jpg

but it was a bit to girly cute.

Now in terms of the "brass" issue I don't reload so brass = steel casing is all the same to me. (I mainly shoot .22 or 7.62x39mm [steel casing]).

Does the range not want you "scavaging" becuase they do something with the brass you leave behind? I know at our MEET & SHOOTs at Winamac we have never had an issue with the RO. Heck he only comes out once to make sure we all signed the card and that is it.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    You never can have enough brass.... you normally have to purchase the lead, primers, and powder, but the brass that's just a left over from your adventure in bullet let down....

Some how that all sounds dirty, sorry....

Cute naughty dog... my wife's behind me trying to type here....

By th way, the real scavenger days were before the RO's and the gates at most of the ranges, because we would get out there about 10 oclock at night and setup a screened sifter and dig the sand off the hill and sift it for the bullets and copper left overs, and then use buckets to put the sand back up at the top of the hill... Then the copper went off to the recycling plant and the brass went in the reloader, and the lead turned into slugs and lead bullets over the smelter... those were the days....

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    By th way, the real scavenger days were before the RO's and the gates at most of the ranges, because we would get out there about 10 oclock at night and setup a screened sifter and dig the sand off the hill and sift it for the bullets and copper left overs, and then use buckets to put the sand back up at the top of the hill... Then the copper went off to the recycling plant and the brass went in the reloader, and the lead turned into slugs and lead bullets over the smelter... those were the days....

Now that sounds like a lot of fun.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    I know blythes sells to precision. They get the brass credit and but a few cases of ammo then sell it for about $8 higher then what I pay for it... all on everyone elses dime...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I know blythes sells to precision. They get the brass credit and but a few cases of ammo then sell it for about $8 higher then what I pay for it... all on everyone elses dime...

Well they do have to make a living you know. Besides you get to use their state of the art indoor well ventilated range for almost free. So leaving your brass behind is your donation to keeping that fine establishment going. You are keeping the economy going. :faint:

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I've never understood why people consistently bash Blythes. Except for one or two occasions I've had nothing but good experiences with them. I deal pretty much exclusively with Les at Valpo and Roger at Griffith. Both have been more than fair over the years and are ALWAYS willing to deal. Mike at the Valpo store is a good guy as well, but doesn't move quite as much on price as Les does. As far as the gun range goes, THEY CAN'T RUN IT FOR FREE! If you don't want to pay to shoot, build your own range or drive an hour to JP. Sure they might sell brass to precision ( I don't know this to be fact but can believe it ) but why not? If people are too lazy to pick up their brass what do you want them to do with it, throw it away? That makes no sense at all. And yes, I'm sure they mark up their ammo they sell too, just like everything else. PROFIT IS NOT A DIRTY WORD! Anyway, I'm a firm believer in good customer service, and I always recieve it from Blythes. I can't remember the last time I bought a gun that wasn't from them short of a private sale. Usually I hit up a gun show looking for something just to visit Blythes later that day and buy it cheaper anyway.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I have to second that sentiment on Blythe's. God forbid someone try to make any money nowadays. Don't even think about not offering someone a fortune for Grandpa's old Damascus-barreled shotgun with the twin hammers that don't function. I like the place, the people have been knowledgeable, more that fair with me, and yes, they have always been open to dealing. I guess it's unfortunate that I've only had good experiences there, I've been lulled into a false sense of security.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    :chillout:

Wow, one minute were talking about brass, the next thing I know, folks are getting deffensive.

@IndianaSlim.......Who is bashing Blythes?:dunno:

As far as my :twocents: on Blythes, I have no problem. I prefer their range to Deb's. I don't have an issue paying. I have bought several firearms there. I have brought them alot of business through friends. If given a choice, I will support a local business any day of the week rather than a big box store. Their ammo is generally on the higher priced end of things, but they always have hadr to find ammo when others don't. Sometimes, they will run a "hard to pass up" ammo sale. I will pay a bit more at Blythes if it means not going to Cabelas. But if it's a huge difference, then I go where I save the most.

So back to the brass thing. If I'm shooting next to a stranger that isn't keeping their brass, I will always ask them if they mind if I pick it up. I even offer to sweep for them and they are usually much obliged. It often turns into a discussion about reloading and the seed is planted in their brain. Blythes has never complained about my brass scavenging. I have no gripe here.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well they do have to make a living you know. Besides you get to use their state of the art indoor well ventilated range for almost free. So leaving your brass behind is your donation to keeping that fine establishment going. You are keeping the economy going. :faint:

I've never understood why people consistently bash Blythes. Except for one or two occasions I've had nothing but good experiences with them./quote]

:chillout:

Wow, one minute were talking about brass, the next thing I know, folks are getting deffensive.

@IndianaSlim.......Who is bashing Blythes?:dunno:

As far as my :twocents: on Blythes, I have no problem. I prefer their range to Deb's. I don't have an issue paying. I have bought several firearms there. I have brought them alot of business through friends.

He might be referring to my comment which was in PURPLE but being that s/he is new s/he might not understand what purple means and or that I was joking with Clif45 since I know him (as in I have talked with him in person & not just these web boards).

PURPLE is meant for sarcasam and is the "unoffical" color on the boards when using sarcasam/joking around. Other like PINK.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I know very well what purple means, but thanks. It just seems like every time you read a thread involving gun stores and somebody brings up Blythes, it's in a negative way. Not just in this thread, I guess I'd just had enough of it at that point. I apologize if I offended anybody, just sticking up for a top notch gun shop!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    No need to apologize I did not take any offense to it. Are you in "da region" IndianaSlim? We have our next MEET & EAT tomorrow BTW. Now if you are not in "da region" then I don't think we can be friends. LOL!!! Melensdad is feeling lonely today so he might need some new friends. =p

---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS
    Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

The next MEET & EAT is on 28 AUG 10 (sign up!)
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ngo_meet_and_eat_oc_cc_-_sat_28_aug_10_a.html

The next MEET & SHOOT is on 18 SEP 10 (sign up!)
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._ingo_meet_and_shoot_-_sat_18_sep_2010_a.html

Appleseed for NWI
    Need help on finding a location see here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d_for_nwi_lake_porter_county.html#post1216426

Ranges in NWI
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-3.html#post1252132

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I know very well what purple means, but thanks. It just seems like every time you read a thread involving gun stores and somebody brings up Blythes, it's in a negative way. Not just in this thread, I guess I'd just had enough of it at that point. I apologize if I offended anybody, just sticking up for a top notch gun shop!

It's all good......no offense taken.:D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom