Not open for further replies.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Anyone know if I can use debit or credit card at the Lake County government complex for property taxes?
    I believe you can, but there is a fee. It's more online than it is if you pay in person. Go to this page and click on Tax Search and Payment and you can pay them online. If you don't want to do it online, I would call the Treasurer's Office and ask what the charge is to pay in person. I want to say it's 3 or 4 percent.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just paid online.
    Didn't feel like searching for checkbook, and it was due today.

Thanks for telling me about online.
    Only paid them myself once before, and that was in person

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I came from a DeWalt family, but now have Craftsman for most of my power tools. Everything except the drill works fine for general carpentry in the field in my experience. I actually prefer the Craftsman impactor to the DeWalt one, as it seems to have more torque and control. The only impactor I liked better was a 24v Kobalt.

Some other brands I've seen in the field are Makita, Hilti, and in one case someone had a Snap-On impactor.
    I have a Makita drill, an old one that is 14.4 Volt NiCd. I only use it for hobby stuff, working on vintage stereo receivers and speakers and stuff like that because I want it to last forever. It has the BEST trigger - perfect control so I don't booger up any screws or anything.

For harder working tools I use DeWalt 20 Volt Lithium and they have not let me down.

ETA - I corrected that to 20 Volts, not 18

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    What makes Milwaukee better for work and rigid for home just curious if there is reasoning or an observation you’ve made because I do see a TON of Milwaukee with the tradesmen. Probably so they can steal each others batteries lol
    People often use what they are familiar with.
    Go to work and everyone has a brand, and recommends it, you're more likely to then invest in that.

On the other hand, the first battery we had in our shop was Milwaukee, and it SUCKED.
    Probably just because the battery models were new and being worked out.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    So what makes for the best bang for your buck kit for things like replacing door jams, locks, building shelving. And then prolly never used again for like a year or so?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So what makes for the best bang for your buck kit for things like replacing door jams, locks, building shelving. And then prolly never used again for like a year or so?
    Something that DOESN'T use NiCad batteries.
    Those don't like to be left on the charger.
    But, not being on the charger means they won't be ready.

Li-Ion batteries like to be on the charger.
    You run into problems if you leave those off the charger for a year.
    Over time, the charger gets lower.
    And if it gets low enough, the "smart" charger thinks the battery is bad.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Freshly stolen from the interwebs.
    What's to explain, he's leaving thugland to explore where the normal people live :D
    View attachment 275214
    JEDI NNNNNNNNNNEEEEEDDDDDDSSSSS THIS!

just image how much quicker the commute into chiraqi would be. No more traffic to worry about.

CTC would agree with this either u gtfo of the way or u become a pancake. :woot:

:)
    Suspect the gasoline consumption would be crazy!

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I'm at the point where I am starting to put stuff away in the new house, and finding all the minor broken things... Guess it is time to buy a drill. What is a good one these days?

I have had good luck with the DeWalt series, as sold at Home Depot. It helps that I have other DeWalt battery powered tools. I believe it's called the flex volt series. Interchangeable battery system from handheld tools to bigger stuff like leaf blowers and chainsaws. Congrats with the progress on the new house!

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Anyone have experience with the Sig 365 series pistols? I handled a 365x the other day at Blythe's in Valpo. It felt real good. I'm trying to accumulate a few different options for concealed carry, and sort out what works best for myself and the wife.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    What makes Milwaukee better for work and rigid for home just curious if there is reasoning or an observation you’ve made because I do see a TON of Milwaukee with the tradesmen. Probably so they can steal each others batteries lol
    I've had almost all my milwaukee stuff for years at work. Years... Beat the **** out of it.

The rigid I feel is best for at home, I've had that stuff for years too but it would never ever hold up to daily abuse...

There is a reason ALL 3 of my tools trucks sell milwaukee.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Something like this

Looks like the Ryobi is only $20 cheaper, so I would pass on that.

Tools are like guns with people's recommendations.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom