Not open for further replies.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.

Seen Chitty Chitty Bang Bang there with the family as a mere tyke. You be talkin' bout my stompin' grounds.
    Lots of movies watched at the drive-in.

Max&Ed's on Ridge had great onion rings and beer battered fish. Pizza burgers from Park-Mor (Culver's is there now). My wife grew up right around there. Many trips to the DQ on Ridge with softball teams we coached before it was modernized.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland

I was also knee high to a grasshopper when my uncle would take me to Millikan sport shop downtown Ham Bone. That place was cool. Used to be all kind of mom and pop hunting/fishing stores. Highland sports was downtown for a short while which is now a wedding dress store. Hansen's had an indoor range at Ridge and Kleinman. Building is still there and vacant. Wonder if the range is still upstairs. Can't remember the name of the one on Chicago Ave. The owner's wife was killed during one robbery then the husband was also killed a few years later.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    R u sure about that zayers building?

The Cline Ave plaza had a Zayer then it became Venture then it became Kmart.

The other location (current griffith/Gary menards) had an Ultra foods and something else before it became menards.
    Negative. Venture was where Kmart was most recently, Zayre was in the current menards building. It was ultra or whatever between zayre and menards.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    You could go to service merchandise if you didn't like Venture. Buy your stuff and then wait for it to come down the conveyor.
    :faint:

Grandma would take us there and never understood why they did that. Why we had to wait so long to get our stuff.

Plus their toy selection sucked. It was a store for grownups. But hey at least they had no cloths so we would not be in there for hours unlike the malls.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom