• ...and so much more!
  • OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    NSA Can Listen to Xbox Live, World of Warcraft Communications - IGN

[h=1]NSA Can Listen to Xbox Live, World of Warcraft Communications[/h] [h=2]The Guardian prepares to release new documents.[/h]
    by Luke Karmali
    December 9, 2013
    Submit Tweet Share +1 Share

New documents released by whistleblower Edward Snowden reveal US and UK spies have the ability to eavesdrop on conversations in Xbox Live, and have even placed agents in games including World of Warcraft and Second Life.
    Fresh information released by The Guardian reveals government agents on both sides of the Atlantic have been paying close attention to online gaming communities since at least 2008.

A September 2008 memo from the NSA's UK sister agency GCHQ reveals that the organisation had "successfully been able to get the discussions between different game players on Xbox Live," while agents were put in both World of Warcraft and Second Life in a bid to monitor users' "buddylists and interaction".
    While there's no evidence that such methods were successful in foiling any terrorist plots, an analyst apparently referred to them in a report as offering a "target-rich communications network" where potential threats could "hide in plain sight". It was apparently run out the Menwith Hill base in North Yorkshire.
    While Microsoft declined to comment on the report, World of Warcraft developer Blizzard told the paper it was "unaware of any surveillance taking place. If it was, it would have been done without our knowledge or permission." GCHQ, meanwhile, didn't confirm or deny the report, only adding the actions were carried out "in accordance with a strict legal and policy framework which ensures that its activities are authorised, necessary and proportionate, and there is rigorous oversight, including from the secretary of state, the interception and intelligence services commissioners and the Intelligence and Security Committee."

How many individuals' private communications and data were accessed isn't known.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I heard on shortwave radio that the NSA is monitoring our bedrooms at night, and they count how many farts escape into the atmosphere while we sleep. To combat this I have devised a newly patented set of aluminum foil adult diapers. If you are interested, let me know.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I heard on shortwave radio that the NSA is monitoring our bedrooms at night, and they count how many farts escape into the atmosphere while we sleep. To combat this I have devised a newly patented set of aluminum foil adult diapers. If you are interested, let me know.

Do you sell a reinforced model for Chili and taco night?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    <NSA agent scurries into the oval office>

"Mr. President, sir. During our undercover investigation of the Call of Duty terrorist ring, we have discovered that more than 300 teenagers have had consensual relations with my mother less than 24 hours prior to our interaction, and 172 plan to have non-consensual relations with me."

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    "It has come to our attention that cats haf apparently tayken ova da wurld..."

"This isn't how you spell 'world', Agent Smith"

"Ceiling cat iz watchin' yooz"

"I think we may need to recalibrate Agent Smith"

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound

"Mr. President, sir. During our undercover investigation of the Call of Duty terrorist ring, we have discovered that more than 300 teenagers have had consensual relations with my mother less than 24 hours prior to our interaction, and 172 plan to have non-consensual relations with me."

"God help us."

:):

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal

This is hilarious for those of us who do or have gamed!

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Gamers have nothing to worry about

b6d86361.jpg

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    This is great News! I need to apologize to my son; I told him he was wasting his time playing X-box all the time and not looking for a job. I guess he can apply to the NSA as a game spy. I hope he gets healthcare, but I bet he has to get Obamacare instead.

Top Bottom