• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I'd also like to point out the incredible irony that has transcribed over the past few posts....

lonehoosier, you stated you do not own a bump stock, don't intend to, and you claimed it was technique that gave the weapon an auto-like rate of fire. You appear to know nothing on the subject, YET you defended it because you FELT or FEEL like YOUR RIGHTS are being infringed upon even though you apparently know not what you're defending.

Reasoning? Not one more inch. You FEEL as though your rights are being threatened. Emotional response.

You then proceeded to tell me that I was giving you an emotional scenario to try and say, support? My case, if that's what we should call it. In fact I was just stating a real life posdible scenario not based on anything emotional at all and just wanted to see if you saw the logic behind that.

The old, put your self in the other guy's shoes kind of thinking.

I am then told that that's trying to play on emotions, when emotions are what's eliciting your response from the get go.

If anyone is studying psychology this would be a great place to obsrrve why people think they do what they do without actually thinking through it.

If you take a minute and read everything you wrote do you see what I'm referring to? Do you see how it looks like you're acting on fear of the possibility of having your gun rights taken away when that isn't being proposed, actually you proposed banning magazines in your post.

Nothing intellectual ever follows "what's next?" I'm sure you can think of some comical classics.

I really just wanted you to go back and read what you wrote. The irony is unreal.

Thanks. I'm not trying to single you iut I just wanted you to realize the irony in how things transpired.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    If this was a long-standing feature of the rifle, something we've had for a couple decades... I'd be worked up. Since it's a modern addon created to skirt the NFA rules... I'm far less worked up. I don't like NFA, I don't like compromising anything to them... but I'm absolutely not going to stand like a brick wall of defiance for a tool that was made to cheat the system.

This sums it up....this was a device presented to the BATF initially to aid the disabled. Really? Just like my radar detector actually helps me drive safer, not faster. The problem faced in the reality of regulations in light the Las Vegas is that this add-on makes a semi-auto function as if it where full auto. It just doesn't pass the "duck" test.

"Not one more inch" is a valid position; but we long ago lost the ability for full automatics weapons to be owned with the simplicity of a single shot shotgun. The NRA and the Republicans are going to use this to solidify their position that they will support "common sense" gun laws and that enforcing current laws is the route to go; not creating new gun regulations that are ineffective. Bump Fire = Full Auto = NFA.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    This sums it up....this was a device presented to the BATF initially to aid the disabled. Really? Just like my radar detector actually helps me drive safer, not faster. The problem faced in the reality of regulations in light the Las Vegas is that this add-on makes a semi-auto function as if it where full auto. It just doesn't pass the "duck" test.

"Not one more inch" is a valid position; but we long ago lost the ability for full automatics weapons to be owned with the simplicity of a single shot shotgun. The NRA and the Republicans are going to use this to solidify their position that they will support "common sense" gun laws and that enforcing current laws is the route to go; not creating new gun regulations that are ineffective. Bump Fire = Full Auto = NFA.

Woah, logic.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    These things are not alike in the slightest.

A tool was created to enable you to break the law (or at least save tens of thousands of dollars). That's a very dark gray area to be getting "not one inch" about.

"But we wanna do that thing we aren't allowed to do! Hmph!"

I hate giving anything up, but Hickok45 is right on this one. It's absolutely not the right thing to get worked up over.

You want to make the gun do something it wasn't meant to do. That's different from magazines and blah blah blah that people are bringing up.

This is a tool made to cheat the system. You'll find very little sympathy among realists.

Well let's go ahead throw SIG braces and Tannerite too? More "System cheaters" I guess? WTF! I can't believe how so many here have gone **** up. The situation in Las Vegas is F,ing horrible but "One guy" did it, not the rest of law abiding America.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I bet if it were the other way around, say an officer having to confront someone with a bump fire, or you, an innocent bystander, you'd be wishing they didn't have it and at worst have a semi-auto rifle.

You surely wouldn't be thinking "Not one more inch!"

pretty easy to say from the comfort of your keyboard.

It has nothing to do with bump stocks, and everything to do with letting them take one thing and the others that follow. Look at Fiensteins bill she has presented, it doesnt just call for a ban on bump stocks, but crank triggers and any device that can create a higher rate of fire. So its not just bumpstocks, it can be your 3.5# giessele trigger! Clearly you're on the wrong side and probably go join Moms Demand Action!

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    It has nothing to do with bump stocks, and everything to do with letting them take one thing and the others that follow. Look at Fiensteins bill she has presented, it doesnt just call for a ban on bump stocks, but crank triggers and any device that can create a higher rate of fire. So its not just bumpstocks, it can be your 3.5# giessele trigger! Clearly you're on the wrong side and probably go join Moms Demand Action!

Clearly you're emitional and not thinking clearly, as you're telling me what to do.

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I looked into bump stock prices tonight after seeing the article regarding the NRA position. Prices for these $99 items are going through the roof. There are some on Gun broker for over $700...

All you need to do is mention a potential ban and the prices sky rocket. The manufacturers are not taking orders due to the demand.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well let's go ahead throw SIG braces and Tannerite too? More "System cheaters" I guess? WTF! I can't believe how so many here have gone **** up. The situation in Las Vegas is F,ing horrible but "One guy" did it, not the rest of law abiding America.

Braces don't make a weapon significantly more effective. I know the slippery slope argument is applicable here, and I'm aware of it. I'm also a realist, and I can see when defending something like this is futile.

Trust me, I want no compromise with anything gun-related... but we can't win this one. The stuff is literally made to get around NFA. We can't win this fight.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    These things are not alike in the slightest.

A tool was created to enable you to break the law (or at least save tens of thousands of dollars). That's a very dark gray area to be getting "not one inch" about.

"But we wanna do that thing we aren't allowed to do! Hmph!"

I hate giving anything up, but Hickok45 is right on this one. It's absolutely not the right thing to get worked up over.

You want to make the gun do something it wasn't meant to do. That's different from magazines and blah blah blah that people are bringing up.

This is a tool made to cheat the system. You'll find very little sympathy among realists.

Once again if you look at Fiensteins bill you will see there is some precarious wording that could lead to banning of drop in triggers. I believe Lonehoosiers whole point is if we give an inch they are gonna go for the mile!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Once again if you look at Fiensteins bill you will see there is some precarious wording that could lead to banning of drop in triggers. I believe Lonehoosiers whole point is if we give an inch they are gonna go for the mile!

I don't disagree. If any legislation is put forward, it needs to be precise and accurate, or not exist at all. Feinstein is the last person that should be doing meaningful legislation on guns.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Braces don't make a weapon significantly more effective. I know the slippery slope argument is applicable here, and I'm aware of it. I'm also a realist, and I can see when defending something like this is futile.

Trust me, I want no compromise with anything gun-related... but we can't win this one. The stuff is literally made to get around NFA. We can't win this fight.

You do agree that braces circumvent the NFA though? I'm just saying that any step backwards is like giving a school bully your lunch money once. Think he'll come back again?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    A fairly cogent argument was posted on the Las Vegas thread. I copied it here since it fit so well. Apologies to PaulF

Q. Does having reduced or restricted access to "bump-fire" stocks infringe my right to keep and bear arms?
    A. No.

Q: Does banning a non-essential add-on accessory that modifies the behavior of a firearm limit my ability to effectively keep and bear arms?
    A: I don't think so, but I'd love to hear a cogent argument otherwise.

I don't think there is a court in the world that would find that a bumpstock is factually an arm in and of itself, and thereby worthy of protection under the 2A. Banning bumpstocks simply does not effect our ability to keep, bear, or utilize arms in any reasonably arguable way.

I guess what I'm getting at is this: taking action against a product or service that has a negative effect over the public good, when that product is not itself a functioning arm and thereby excluded under the 2A, is perfectly within the established purview of the Federal Government. They don't need to bargain with us, they can simply declare the device unfit for sale in the us without running afoul of the constitution...

...and I fully expect they will.

SteelersFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Muncie

The NFA defines a machine gun as “any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger." There is multiple trigger pulls with the bump stock so its not a machine gun and why the ATF approved it in the first place.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I see the leftists are excited that we are all on their side now pushing for common sense gun control.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So many statists amongst us ... so, so many.

This is insane. Gun owners are lauding the NRA calling for a bureaucratic agency to make a ruling on their rights! No mention of legislative process. Just let a bureaucrat in an office make a determination and presto! Another piece chipped away.

Dude, what was chipped away that we haven't had but for only a few years? Is everyone ignoring this piece was made to skirt laws? You see no moral wrong with that?

Top Bottom