NRA Supports Bump Stock Regulation

Papa

Marksman
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Jul 20, 2012
North Central IN
So it just came out that the NRA is supporting higher regulation of bump stocks. It may be time to write the NRA and our local representatives.

Edit: It appears they are calling for the ATF to re-review the ATFs stance on the legality of bump stocks.

Here is the NRA's actual joint statement of Wayne LaPierre and Chris Cox.

https://home.nra.org/joint-statement/

NRA Joint Statement:

(FAIRFAX, VA) - The National Rifle Association today issued the following statement:

"In the aftermath of the evil and senseless attack in Las Vegas, the American people are looking for answers as to how future tragedies can be prevented. Unfortunately, the first response from some politicians has been to call for more gun control. Banning guns from law-abiding Americans based on the criminal act of a madman will do nothing to prevent future attacks. This is a fact that has been proven time and again in countries across the world. In Las Vegas, reports indicate that certain devices were used to modify the firearms involved. Despite the fact that the Obama administration approved the sale of bump fire stocks on at least two occasions, the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law. The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations. In an increasingly dangerous world, the NRA remains focused on our mission: strengthening Americans' Second Amendment freedom to defend themselves, their families and their communities. To that end, on behalf of our five million members across the country, we urge Congress to pass National Right-to-Carry reciprocity, which will allow law-abiding Americans to defend themselves and their families from acts of violence."

Last edited:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jan 12, 2009
Fort Wayne
Here is the NRA's actual joint statement of Wayne LaPierre and Chris Cox.

https://home.nra.org/joint-statement/

They're basically seeing that regulations are coming for bump stocks so are kindof getting on board with "something" without being specific, while at the same time pushing national reciprocity.

I'll need time to think about trading bump stocks for national reciprocity. My kneejerk reaction is mixed.

Regards,

Doug

openwell

Sharpshooter
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Mar 31, 2014
Carmel
Important points:
Obama BATF reviewed & approved bump fire stocks twice,
NRA is calling on BATF to review bump stocks for compliance,
Congress to pass National reciprocity so individuals can protect themselves.

historian

Master
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oct 15, 2009
Hoosier in Exile

They're basically seeing that regulations are coming for bump stocks so are kindof getting on board with "something" without being specific, while at the same time pushing national reciprocity.

I'll need time to think about trading bump stocks for national reciprocity. My kneejerk reaction is mixed.

Trading a worthless, but fun, toy in exchange for reciprocity is something I can get behind.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Mar 30, 2011
Huh.

Feels kinda like 1993.

Lying philanderer in the White House and all.

(The NRA withdrew support late in the game after "working" on a compromise.)

historian

Master
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oct 15, 2009
Hoosier in Exile
Important points:
Obama BATF reviewed & approved bump fire stocks twice,
NRA is calling on BATF to review bump stocks for compliance,
Congress to pass National reciprocity so individuals can protect themselves.

This. Calling for review. I'm calling for a review of something does not mean, "I want it banned.' Very vaguely worded and then a call for reciprocity.

They HAD to say something, so I'm really ok with it.

openwell

Sharpshooter
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Mar 31, 2014
Carmel
NRA is looking for BATF to look at bump fires.
Before this attack, I never heard of bump slide slocks.
Now, I have seen enough to question why BATF determined they were acceptable.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Mar 9, 2008
Lafayette, Indiana
Well, we're boned.

If we have to trade, how about complete re-write of the NFA with national reciprocity, SHARE Act and tax write offs for training and Kirk's Federal Gun Collector's License?

Excalibur

Expert
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
May 11, 2012
NWI
They aren't just after the bump fire stocks. They are after ALL devices that can simulate full auto and devices that "changes the fire rate of guns". That is so vague, they might as well ban the Echo and Binary triggers and polished aftermarket triggers

Cameramonkey

Grandmaster
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
May 12, 2013
Camby area
They aren't just after the bump fire stocks. They are after ALL devices that can simulate full auto and devices that "changes the fire rate of guns". That is so vague, they might as well ban the Echo and Binary triggers and polished aftermarket triggers

You'll use that gritty factory trigger and LIKE it mister!

VERT

Grandmaster
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Jan 4, 2009
Seymour
My knee jerk reaction is WTH NRA?! But I am of the opinion that bump fire stocks is not the political hill worth dying upon. National Recipcrocity is a mixed bag for me as well. Removing suppressors, SBRs and SBSs from the NFA and changing the ban of handguns from CoE properties needs to be top priority.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Mar 30, 2011
I remain convinced that we need to ride this out. Give no quarter on bump stocks (as much as I think they are silly) without dramatically better recompense on something else.

It isn't so much a hill worth dying on; it is more of a throwaway for negotiation. If we can receive something of value, then so be it. But it had better be good, and long-lasting.

Top Bottom