• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    If I'm reading this right, they are charging the guy that got shot? That's ironic. He's lucky that it was only his arm and not his head or worse, the kid.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    He works at the same place as my neighbor who thinks the trees are great backstops. :ugh:

I'm so glad the child wasn't shot. Bad enough she was involved in this at all.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Good thing it was a .40. If it had been a .45, there wouldn't have been anything left of him.

My husband said the same thing. I'm just glad it was him and not some person next to them on the road that got shot. It could have been so much worse!

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    In his coveralls in the back seat of his vehicle.
    That kid went to a LOT of trouble to fish that gun out.
    Kids are far more industrious than they get credit for.
    You just cannot watch them enough.

This is just another example of why its a BAAD idea to put your kid in the back seat.
    You can't see them. You just can't watch the mirror enough.
    The whole airbag, kid in the back seat thing has always bugged me.
    This is why people go into work and leave their kid in the car.
    They are in the back seat and out of sight.
    Let's put the blame where it belongs in these cases.
    Kids in the back seat.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    In his coveralls in the back seat of his vehicle.
    That kid went to a LOT of trouble to fish that gun out.
    Kids are far more industrious than they get credit for.
    You just cannot watch them enough.

This is just another example of why its a BAAD idea to put your kid in the back seat.
    You can't see them. You just can't watch the mirror enough.
    The whole airbag, kid in the back seat thing has always bugged me.
    This is why people go into work and leave their kid in the car.
    They are in the back seat and out of sight.
    Let's put the blame where it belongs in these cases.
    Kids in the back seat.

I agree with you to an extent. However, he KNEW his gun was in those coveralls and he placed that child near enough to get access to it. He should have moved the coveralls or the gun to the front seat. As the adult in this situation, it was his responsibility to make sure his firearm was securely away from that child.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    FTA:
    Prosecuting attorney Chipman said the details of the case speak for themselves, adding that "I am also conflicted in my position as Prosecuting Attorney to see ways to maximize public safety in our own community. There has been a rash of incidents across the country where children have innocently gained access to loaded firearms and by clear accident discharged them severely wounding, and sometimes tragically killing, family members."

While I agree with charging the man with criminal negligence, this statement is demonstrably false. The rate of accidents due to negligent discharge of firearms is at an all-time low. The "rash" of such incidents currently is at or below the "rash" of such incidents historically.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    When my son was 3 yrs. old I remember waking up to the sound of the refrigerator door closing at 3:00 in the morning. When I walked in the kitchen my son was eating a slice of cheese. Surrounded by every single item that was in the fridge. He did not spill a drop of anything. He opened the fridge, grabbed a chair, and silently emptied the entire contents of our refrigerator and neatly positioned them on our kitchen floor. NEVER underestimate the resolve of a child. All they have is time, and obviously an overwhelming desire for cheese!!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hmm. I remember digging through my dad's flight jacket looking for TicTacs. All I found was a PPK. :(

Of course, I was old enough to know it wasn't a toy.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I agree with you to an extent. However, he KNEW his gun was in those coveralls and he placed that child near enough to get access to it. He should have moved the coveralls or the gun to the front seat. As the adult in this situation, it was his responsibility to make sure his firearm was securely away from that child.
    I agree that he was negligent.
    Totally.
    I am just think that the child being in the back seat, out of sight, exacerbated the problem.

If you forget your kid is in the car just because you can't see them, you've got bigger issues than where they sit.
    While I agree with the sentiment of your statement, I would propose that, if a study were done, the incidence of children being inadvertently left alone in a car has increased since children have been relegated to the back seat.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Training. If he had taken the time to teach this could have been avoided. No different than teaching them not to drink the drano.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    if you can not keep your firearm away from a child, how can you hope to keep it from someone TRYING to get it:(

Top Bottom