• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Anyone out there ever had any sinus surgery or any surgery to the nose?

I had a CT done on my sinuses which showed a deviated septum and a spurr. Surgery is in the forecast for me but I am such a coward. My doctor says I ahve had this for a long time and that I believe to be correct. I wish he could give me a better guarantee beside just saying hopefully this will help you to breathe easier. Hopefully is no the word I wanted to hear. I wanted to hear that it would help me to breathe easier and that I would not be as congested or even congested after the surgery and that it would help me to not get so many sinus infectiosn in the future.

Ok so if anyone wants to donate their experience I would really appreciate it.

MWCMT

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    South
    I had some bone removed from my nose a few years ago to help my snoring. My wife says it did not help.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    My sister, Kr_Treefrog2, is going under the knife for a nose job at the beginning of August. She had it broken as a kid, so they're re-breaking and repositioning it, as well as shaving off a bump on the top.

Maybe I can have her post a review of surgery when she's done. :D

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    My brother had to have surgery to correct his deviated septum and remove some bone. It was ok and he does seem to breath better now. He said the worst part was the removal of the yards of gauze a few days after the surgery! Go ahead and have it done.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Many years ago I broke my nose in an auto crash and required open reduction surgery to repair deviated septum. After the initial surgery, I had new nasal issues resulting from the scar tissue of repairing the trauma. A few years later, a second surgery to remove the excess scar tissue restored me back to 99%.

I'm very glad I went back and had the second surgery rather than just getting used to not breathing right. Not a pleasant recovery but short-lived and well worth it.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    My sister, Kr_Treefrog2, is going under the knife for a nose job at the beginning of August. She had it broken as a kid, so they're re-breaking and repositioning it, as well as shaving off a bump on the top.

Maybe I can have her post a review of surgery when she's done. :D

did you break it? :):

knifelady, i would get it done. better to have things like this at least attempted now while you still can. you never know whats around the corner. i dont put too much stuff off anymore in todays world.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    get a second opinion before having surgery, and use the best surgeon you can find. a poor surgeon will butcher you. a good one will improve your chances of success greatly

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I had sinus polyups, really bad. Every sinus cavity was 90% full and I was miserable. A couple of days recovery and I was up and around just like normal. The removal of the yard of gauze was not the best thing to go through. The doctor used some cocaine derivitive for anesthetic and I had a bad reaction to it. Knocked me out and I woke up on the floor with an ammonia capsule waved under my nose... my wife was freaking out a little.

I guess I will never be a cokehead.

Zombie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jun 14, 2009
    Danville
    I had deviated septum/turbinate reduction surgery a couple years ago. When they got in there, they said my nose was broken at some point (car wreck). The nurse said I would feel like I got hit by a truck-she was right!
    Morphine and lortabs helped...

You have to change the gauze "moustache" every hour or so and you don't much feel like eating. I went through a lot of Wendy's frosties and chili.
    I don't remember the yard of gauze, but they had these "butterfly" things in my nose that were HUGE when removed. That part sucked but was a big relief. The Doc also didn't want me to travel in case of complications-not that I felt like travelling anyway.
    I would say it helped, but not 100%.
    Hope everything goes well for you should you have it done and wish you a quick recovery:)

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I'm having the same thing next month

polyup removal (2)
    turbinate repairs (2)
    fix my broken nose (1)

I hope I end up looking much better after everything heals, but I doubt it.

beagle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    N.W. Indiana
    Each doctor does it a little different. I had mine done in april of this year. Best thing I ever did. Had the CT scan it showed that I had a couple of polyups and a deviated septum. The doctor told me upfront that each patient is different, and that each patient has different results.
    This doctor used a different approach. Instead of packing the nose with goobs of gauze, he used one small plastic type of material. He gave me a prescription for some pain relief but I did not use it. Breathing is now 90% better, and I have not has any sinus infections since the proceedure. Before that I was getting several sinus infections every year. Good luck to ya.....

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    I had 60% blockage in one side and 85% in they other. I had the septum done and the turbinate removed. It was by far one of the best decisions ever. I had the gauze removed the next morning and it wasn't even a big deal. It took the doc like 3 seconds to do it. Most doc's use a splint these days which is a clear piece of plastic that is shaped like a football and the size of a book of matches. You shouldn't have any swelling or bruising. The first couple days is a little uncomfortable, but after that,you will feel so much better. Especially when you sleep. Really, the sketchy part of the whole thing is trying not to sneeze for the first couple days.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    WOW!!!!! I had my surgery 11 years ago and remember it vividly cause it was horrible!!!!!! This post is not to scare you just to tell you my story.

I had a deviated septum and polips(sp?). The surgery went off without a hitch.... then I started to come to. The pain was like no other. the 1st thing I remember was having the tampon strings taped to my cheeks. This is how they get the gauze out, more on that later. I saw this in a window as we exited the hospital and Dr. was telling us what was next. Out we went with release papers and prescriptions, as we entered the car I heard something about splints as well... more on that as well later.

So now on teh car ride home I'm dripping all over the place. I mean all over the place. We couldnt change bandages fast enough AND the meds were wearing off.

I too was given the cocaine nose candy and because ofthe work I did had to have a **** load of paperwork for it so when and if I was randomly tested I wouldnt get the boot. The coke did NOTHING for the pain.

We get home and I start walking up the stairs and I start balling crying, the pain was like no other. I literaly had my live in call my mom and go get here cause I wanted to be with my mom, call me a puss... but thats who i wanted by my side.

At this point I'm still dripping all over the place and i can feel the gause in my throat, so I began to pick at the strings. My live in called the Dr.s office cause I was threatening to pull them out... teh B' over the phone with a smart ass mouth said go ahead, you'll bleed to death. F'in B'. I didint yank them out. So now I'm dopping up on as much Vicadin as I can and it aint working. I go to use the bathroom and pass the mirror and it looks like someone hit me in the face with a 2x4! My eyes were black and blue and I was swollen.

The next day I was to have the gause removed. The Dr. told me to pop a vicadin about 1 hr b4 I showed up. I took 3. Bad idea, more on that later. So I somehow drove MYSELF to Dr. I was feelin good and we go in to have the gause removed. The brutal guy puts his left hand on my forhead, and wraps both strings around his right hand, then looks at me and say. " On 3 OK!" 1, 2, .................. it was 10" of gause they packed in my nose. That's why I felt it in my throat. And I felt ALL 10" of that gause come out. So now I'm feeling like my nose and throat were just prison rapped and the Dr. Looks at me and says, OK, Great.... see you in 5 days to get the splints out! WTF??????? Seems that after a deviated septum surgery they put stints in your nose like braces to keep the cavity formed as you heel. Great... another visit.

So now I'm headed out of the building and guess what.... All 3 vicadins decide to kick in. Had to call the live in for a ride.

So now I'm still bleeding but not as bad and the pain is still killer but drugs make it bearable.

5 days later I go get the stints out, pop 2 V's and off I go... this time as a rider not driver. These things have spring loaded locks on them that required a set of pliers in my nose to release them. As they exited my nose they unfolded open and looked like a rolled up 2" diamer polypropele circle. On a scale of 1-10 for pain it was a 7 having them removed.

Afetr the week of hell, it was recover as normal. About 4 weeks after the surgery I could breath better and felt better. 3 years after that the ymptoms cane right back and teh Dr. has been tellig me we need to have another surgery ever since. I'm now 31 and still havent had teh 2nd surgery!

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...4-best_burger_grease_pit_nwi.html#post1176679

He said the worst part was the removal of the yards of gauze a few days after the surgery!

10" of pain! Like razor blades being pulled out in one harsh yank!

True dat. ;)

The removal of the yard of gauze was not the best thing to go through. The doctor used some cocaine derivitive for anesthetic .

I had the coke as well. It sucked, the real thing might have been better. But if I was using the real thing I probably would never have had sinus issues!! LOL

And as far as the gause... did I mention 10" of hell?

The nurse said I would feel like I got hit by a truck-she was right!

What they dont tell you is the type of truck that it will feel like hit you. 18 wheeler carrying a double load being driven by satan himself.

So my over all experiance with this.... well... you know!

Good luck

and PS it doesnt work!

11 years later and I still remeber it like it was yesterday!

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    Yea as others have said, the gauze thing REALLY sucks,when the nurse pulled it out of my nose I believe it was one piece about 20 ft long and I could feel it snaking out of my sinus cavities. But on a good note it sure is nice to breathe out your nose again. And mine was done about 20 years ago,after the fourth break.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I've hesitated putting my experiences here until after my 2nd follow-up appointment this morning.

So, yeah, I had the whole CT scan thing since I was having one long sinus infection/bronchitis/inner ear infection that wasn't going away after several months. CT showed a chronic infection. Doc said he needed to go in to scrape out the infection and reduce the tissue. Reduce sounds so much nicer than cut, doesn't it?

Anyway, my pre-op appoint was a joke. Took my bp and temp, gave me a sheet with post-op instructions and a couple prescriptions, and I was on my way. Picked up the prescriptions (tylenol #3 - with codeine - and a Z-pak) and some saline spray.

Went to the outpatient surgery clinic for surgery on Monday, July 12th. Quick check-in, took my vitals, said they'd get my husband to sit with me until they were ready to take me back. And so I sat and waited. And waited. And waited. I thought about going to get a nurse, except that I was hooked up to an iv and was almost completely naked except for the obligatory bare-arse hospital gown (although they did let me wear my underwear...still don't know why I needed to take even all of that off for my freakin' sinuses). Oh, and they said I could wear my socks. Except that I wore flip-flops that day. Also, when they say no metal, they mean it. This includes bobby-pins, and I hadn't brought a hair tie. This makes a difference later.

Anyway, I finally yelled for a nurse to track down my husband. He finally comes back. I'll admit, by this time I was freaking out and was crying. The doctor was late, so I had yet more time to think about it. The anesthesiologist was quite nice when he came in, so that was good. Then they have me walk to the OR (they gave me a robe for this part). I lay down on the table, and I'm soon out.

So I start to wake up. I dunno if you've had surgery before or not, but waking up is not fun. I also felt like I was naked in the arctic with a polar bear beating me over the head with a seal. Seriously. I was FREEZING and my head was POUNDING. So they wheel me into a private-ish room (no actual doors, just a panel of curtains for one of the walls) and offer me some vicodin for the headache. Ok, I said. She brought me some water and some crackers to take with it which were really difficult to consume with the 12 pounds of gauze taped between my nose and upper lip. Ok. I soon start to feel much better, so my husband helped me get dressed, I had to ask to use the bathroom before I was led outside, they handed me a carnation (wtf?), and I'm in the SUV heading home. Note that it's a one hour trip home.

I change the gauze as soon as I get in the truck. Change number 1. So, we get on the interstate. I lean back, close my eyes, and immediately start to feel sick. 10 minutes later we're pulling off the interstate toward home, and I immediately grab the garbage can and hurl. Have you ever hurled a quart of blood mixed with crackers, water, and vicodin? Not good - oh, the hair tie would've been very helpful then. My husband stopped at the truck stop and cleaned out the garbage can. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna owe him for a long time for that one. Change number 2. Keep heading home. Change number 3.

Get home. No vicodin now, head is pounding again, nose starts to become less numb. Hungry and yet sick and in pain. Awesome. Take 2 tylenol #3. Bad move. Apparently tylenol #3 makes my pulse race if I take too much. Now I know. My pulse was 98 for two hours (it's usually 58-60). Oh, yeah, and I had a super-high bp in recovery, so they had to give me stuff to bring it down.

Anyway, pretty much feel like crap, don't eat much besides crackers, and have to send my hubby to the store to find tape and gauze since I used up the hospital's take home supply in about 4 hours. I was pretty certain I was going to bleed to death at that point.

Slept sitting up on the couch all night. Hubby was super nice and slept on the loveseat to keep me company. Slept on the couch for four nights. Tried to sleep propped up in bed on night 3. Ended up gagging on the drainage and went back to the couch.

I also spent the next day with gauze taped under my nose. And part of the next day. I limited myself to one tylenol #3 every 6-7 hours and lived in a drug-induced stupor for about 3-4 days. Couldn't do anything. Bend over to put dishes in dishwasher. Nose started bleeding. Bend over to pick up socks to put in washer. Nose started bleeding. Walked out on the porch to get mail. Temp change made nose start bleeding. Ridiculous. Oh, and I had a bruise line from the tape on my face. Temp stays around 98-99 the entire time. Usually a constant 96.5.

So, I go back on the first Friday to have the packing removed. Doctor says, hey let me take a look. Squirts burning lava up my nose. )(%$^& Inserts metal instrument into my nose and tugs on the top of my spinal cord for a moment, and I pass out in the chair. Awesome. Ok, I guess that probably wasn't quite how it went, but I did pass out. He declares the packing not ready to come out and asks me to come back in a week. He also mentions that he found that I had a deviated septum and a bone spur while in there and had fixed both. Yay. Temp was 100 later that day.

Go back to work on Monday. Pretty much exhausted and feel like crap most of the week. Still leaking blood and mucus constantly. No one can understand me since I still have packing in my nose.

Blow my nose late Tuesday night and the packing came out of one side! It was a 2inch clear plastic tube. Kinda cool. I could actually feel the increased air flow as I breathed through that nostril. The difference was amazing.

Went back this morning. Doctor went through the lava spraying/spinal cord tugging stuff again. Except I didn't pass out. Declared the packing on the one side still not ready to come out. Instead he pulled all the scabs off over where he removed the bone spur to "speed up recovery." And blood poured all over my shirt. And I left with gauze taped under my nose again. I bet he lost any new patients sitting in the waiting room when I left today.

So the bleeding has backed off quite a bit this time, and I can actually breathe out of both nostrils right now, even with the packing in one side. I'm feeling much better, although tired.

And I think it was worth it.

Bet you didn't think it'd end there, huh? I'm looking forward to no longer being sick and being able to breathe easier. I already feel better, although still really tired.

Good luck. I hope you have understanding and loving help at home to get you through it. And somehow despite all of the pain, I do recommend the surgery.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    My doc says you use this plastic foam that wicks away the fuilds and I change them every hour......

Nice stories....to a point, some not so nice.

I've been warned, but it needs to get done.

Top Bottom