• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chiggins83187

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Whitestown
    My only experience in hunting is sitting in a blind last year with my brother-in-law, but the farmer's cows got loose, so they sorta ruined the day! So, I'm a complete noob, so I turn to the always faithful, highly educated minds of INGO! :ingo:

My friend/pastor died in January, and this was going to be his first year to take his son (10 years old) hunting. His son is still really interested in getting to hunt, so we are going to learn together. He said he wants to hunt deer and squirrel, and maybe duck & rabbit.

I know we need to do the hunter ed course (I was born in '87), so I've been looking online for upcoming courses. I'm looking for advice on what guns we should get. In talking with my BIL and others, they say I can use a 12 gauge and do pretty much everything. They suggested a 20 gauge for him.

I was in Premier Arms today and they have a nice looking Mossberg 535 combo which I was very close to buying. So, what are your suggestions on 12 & 20 gauges (or other ideas)?

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i am a remington guy my self, i have a 2 remmy 870's in 12 and 20ga. the mossy isnt a bad gun either but i would go with a 500 if i were to use a mossy. a shotgun is a good universal gun for hunting in indiana, i would suggest using a smoothe bore barrel. for deer use rifled slugs and for everything else they make a various amount shot shells and for duck it has to be lead free ammo along with a waterfoul stamp

Last edited:

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I'm a Remington 870 person myself. To ME they feel better made than Mossberg 500 (their most popular competitor). I also like the safety position of the 870 (near trigger) vs the top of the receiver (500). But it's personal preference, hold both of them, see which one you like more!

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I use the mossy 500 and really like it. My buddy has the remmy 870 and I honestly can't discern much of a difference between the two. I like the way they both feel.

As already said, you can't go wrong in Indiana with a shotgun. Just make sure you have a magazine plug when hunting deer.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    What firearm was your friend/pastor going to let the 10 year old boy hunt with, let the boy carry it [after mucho safety instruction] and it will mean a lot to be able to carry the one that his father would have done.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    tenring has it right. to carry what dad planned for him to carry would mean so much. but short of that anything safe and make sure he can shoot it well before the season starts. hunting is as much about heritage and tradition as it is anything. never forget "killing" and success are are not the same thing. joy and memorys matter most. Make memorys every chance you get. as unfourtunatlly this lad learned too young the hard lesson we all must learn that life is short and fond memorys are often all we really can keep forever.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IMHO, a .22 would be best for squirrels.

12 or 20 gauge for everything else.

Both of those can be purchased very cheap used in gunstores. You should be able to find a used 12/20 ga. pump shotgun for a couple hundred, and a decent bolt .22 for less than $175 or so.

Top Bottom