• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I ran into an issue that I'd like to know if my local Police/CLEO isn't following the rules correctly.

1. I had a lawyer create a trust for me.
    2. I then purchased a suppressor from ProFire in Indy who gave me all the paperwork needed to send in
    3. I got 2 passport sized photos from walgreens.
    4. I went down to my police station & asked to get finger printed to submit with my paperwork along with my trust paperwork ( They asked what I meant by trust so I tried explaining that instead of a single person owning it, a legal entity would own it).

Here's where it got interesting, they said that they would need to hold the paperwork & fingerprint cards & have the sheriff sign off on it. I asked if a signoff is required as this was for a trust and they said that they don't give out fingerprint cards without having the sheriff sign off on my forms.

Now I know that some things changed with Obama's executive orders but I don't think I needed the CLEO signoff in the previous rules or in the current. Am I wrong? What should I do differently next time if I purchase a suppressor or NFA item.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Here's what you did wrong:

you have a trust. You dont need: 1) photos, 2) fingerprints, 3) CLEO signoff on anything.

Now, if you did get all those things you dont need. It might be their policy to have the sheriff sign the fingerprint cards. Someone there has to sign them, and maybe their policy is that he does it.

also, the CLEO signoff doesn't go away for regular filing until July 13, 2016, but you have a trust. ;)

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Reprint the paperwork and refill it and send it in OR call your local CLEO and let him know that you gave them the paperwork, wrongfully, and would like it back. Since you're in FW, that last one sounds like a long shot to me.

Top Bottom