• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Considering a Sig AXG is priced around $1200, price point seems competitive; it comes with an optics cut and backwards compatibility. SW is making it very easy for current M&P owners to purchase without having to make a major post-purchase investment.

While I would have prefered SW move to a 3.0 model with true modularity, the METAL is a welcome evolution of the platform. SW fans have been calling for the return of Third Gens since production ceased. Sure isn't a reboot of them but it still provides an metal frame (non-1911) option to their lineup and potential for other METAL framed offerings/calibers.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    SW is making it very easy for current M&P owners to purchase without having to make a major post-purchase investment.
    Like I mentioned I'm not in the market, but if I was to weaken, it would be due to the fact that I can use my current stash of magazines. But I don't see my self buying this one. If they had offered it in a 5" model, I might have considered it since the use of my M&P has shifted from a carry gun to a range gun and the compact size (4" barrel) isn't necessary.

Considering I paid less than $400 for my 2.0 Compact, it would be really hard to pony up 2X that much for a metal frame.

But man, they do look nice and I'm betting they will feel good shooting!

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I’m intrigued, but not enough to buy one. I do prefer the feel of a metal framed pistol, but I’m pretty heavily invested in Glocks and Berettas and don’t see that changing any time soon. I do have a custom 1911 as well, so frankly I feel my bases are covered. Maybe if I have money to throw away, but then I’d be getting a classic Sig P series first. But I’m happy to see metal frames making a bit of a return. I have nothing against polymer at all, but find a metal frame just feels better overall.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have nothing against polymer at all, but find a metal frame just feels better overall.
    I say this without having tried the Sig AXG modules, but funny thing, I was going to say the opposite:

• I have nothing against metal at all, but find the polymer frame just feels better.
    That's more coming from the Wilson Combat grip modules I've migrated to on my 365's and 320's and my experience with the M&P 2.0 frames. I would not have said that about Glock frames (and I used to be heavily invested .. am somewhat still, but just not for active carry rotation). I know the above statement is considered by some on INGO to be blasphemy.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I say this without having tried the Sig AXG modules, but funny thing, I was going to say the opposite:

• I have nothing against metal at all, but find the polymer frame just feels better.
    That's more coming from the Wilson Combat grip modules I've migrated to on my 365's and 320's and my experience with the M&P 2.0 frames. I would not have said that about Glock frames (and I used to be heavily invested .. am somewhat still, but just not for active carry rotation). I know the above statement is considered by some on INGO to be blasphemy.

No pitchforks or torches here, you like what you like!

I think Glocks are one of the least ergonomic handguns around, but the damn things just run, so I bought in to them years ago. But them being polymer has nothing to do with that, haha.

To me, I just find a metal frame to have a better recoil impulse or overall feel to it. I can’t really explain it outside of that. But polymer definitely has a leg up on it in numerous ways. Back in AZ, a polymer gun got hot in the sun, but a metal gun got freakin’ SEARING. So yeah, mission/environment should drive the gear, as always! :)

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I find the trend back towards metal framed guns interesting, maybe more folks are starting to think long term about their handgun purchases. I know it's a concern I have at least, who knows when in my lifetime another potential ban might come into play.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If they could just get rid of that stupid glock saftey trigger and use a normal one. Why does every new gun have to have those stupid safety triggers?

Because it makes them drop safe by moving on a different axis as the trigger, preventing inertia trigger pulls.

Let's hope there are no unforseen problems like the majority of new pistols are having coming out now.

There's a guy who's paying attention to the customers-as-beta-testers trend.

I’m intrigued, but not enough to buy one. I do prefer the feel of a metal framed pistol, but I’m pretty heavily invested in Glocks and Berettas and don’t see that changing any time soon.

Same, but Glocks and Sig TDAs. I'm not changing horses this far out in the stream of my gun-toting life without proof of some significant improvements that matter to me.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach

I have the Wilson module on a M17 and the AXG module on a 320 I assembled around the FCU. I’d say the AXG is an improvement over the Wilson, but not nearly enough to justify the ~$320 price difference.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Well, first new handgun I've bought in YEARS. Just pulled the trigger on gunbroker, being transferred, I'll try to give a report when I get it.
    OK, as I type this I remember that the last time I bought a new (vs used from a non-ffl) handgun was my M&P pro when it was a very new thing, still hard to find, and thought it was going to be the end all USPSA production gun. Yeah, in hind sight, that stung a little and may be why I haven't bought a new one in a long time. :-)

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Well, first new handgun I've bought in YEARS. Just pulled the trigger on gunbroker, being transferred, I'll try to give a report when I get it.
    OK, as I type this I remember that the last time I bought a new (vs used from a non-ffl) handgun was my M&P pro when it was a very new thing, still hard to find, and thought it was going to be the end all USPSA production gun. Yeah, in hind sight, that stung a little and may be why I haven't bought a new one in a long time. :-)
    I handled one this afternoon I think you’ll be happy with it.

Sphinx313

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Central
    I need to befriend one of you purchasers. My father still carries his 226 from the 90's because 'plastic guns'. This could teach the old dogs new tricks as well.

Top Bottom