• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Kenmore elite from Sears about 6 years now, no problems. Haven't had an ice maker in over 25 years so no problems there. Weird noises fixed every few years by vacuuming the cooling fans at the rear bottom. They all have computer boards on the back. Wanted it also since it was a single door, not double French and had pull out freezer on bottom.

Also have a Midea 3 years which seems ok. The dishwasher we have by them is nice.

Friend has one of those old fridges from 40s or 50s? Big compressor on top and still going strong.

Great grandmothers fridge for backup ;)

PXL_20240101_003550134.jpg

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    A clogged drain tube from the freezer defrost has been known to cause issues however I do not think the issues are what op is experiencing.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    What was the fix?
    I found a YouTube video. He described it. It involved a new ice maker, a new circuit board, rerouting some hoses, etc. the exact kit varies by model. I probably googled something like how to fix a Samsung ice maker from freezing to get to it.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Usually the answer for a new refrigerator is whatever Bosch 800 you like most. But since you dont like bottom freezers or ice / water I recommend just going with what I call the slum lord special.

For cheap and reliable Frigidaire and GE are the way to go IMHO. No point in paying extra for features you don’t use and having an ice machine in the fridge door is pants on head stupid I hate it in modern refrigerators.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    After 18 yrs Whirlpool 26 cu ft sxs begin making clicking noises when trying to start compressor. This was during covid and Whirlpool products were available at Home Depot, also warranty service thru a company located in Greenwood, In. Replaced old unit with like item, hoping for another 18 yr run.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks for all the comments.
    Update on the unit.

I turned it off and cleaned the fridge portion on the inside. Cleaned the dust from the bottom front.

Pulled the unit off the wall so it has about 4 inches of back space.

Cleaned the back as best I could without taking the cover off as did not see a way to do that.

Turned unitn back on after about 2 hours of it being off. It's been 2 days and the noise has not returned. The unit is running quiet and the inside temp is back to normal like before.

So maybe it just needed a cleaning?
    Unknown.

Still saving $$$ to have just in case it dies one day.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Usually the answer for a new refrigerator is whatever Bosch 800 you like most. But since you dont like bottom freezers or ice / water I recommend just going with what I call the slum lord special.

For cheap and reliable Frigidaire and GE are the way to go IMHO. No point in paying extra for features you don’t use and having an ice machine in the fridge door is pants on head stupid I hate it in modern refrigerators.
    "Slum lord special". Dude that's a $740.00 fridge. Trust me as someone who's family owns a fairly decent number of rentals, no land lord, let alone slum lord, is spending over $200 on any appliance. Used & rebuilds for rentals.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Maybe we all should contact Kamala and her 2nd Gentleman to see what appliances they recommend, since they still have a gas stove: gee…wonder what Brandon thinks about that? I’m sure that they have done all the research on stoves, central air units, dishwashers, hot water heaters, just so they can ignore the White House idiot and reinforce the democratic mantra: “Don’t do as I do, do as I say!”
    :rolleyes:

IMG_2734.jpeg

Top Bottom