www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Removing it isn't sufficient.

The firearm must be modified so that a brace can never be installed again. What ever that might entail.

Read the rule if you don't believe me, that's pretty much textually what it says.

Safest legal bet is to do what everyone did with their machine guns. Stuff it somewhere away from prying eyes, shut up about it, and don't go posting pictures of it online.

Just remember, this is not a law like 1986 was. There's no guarantee for this "amnesty."
    You're at the mercy of the most anti-gun anti-american people on earth as to whether you catch 10-20 years in prison, after forfeiting your 5th amendment rights.
    Interesting take. That means that all pistol tubes are now a NFA item. Because they are all(majority) press fit. Which brings up an interesting question. Can you press fit the average brace on a rifle tube? If so the rifle tubes are ALSO a NFA item. (probably by design in regards to the rule)

Lucky for me I saw this coming. I saw the run on rifle tubes and stocks and bought what was needed to make the pistol go away. I'll be converting my pistol lowers to rifles.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I am not a lawyer, but isn't taxing and/or registering that which shall not be infringed the same as saying that per the first amendment you can have your specified religion as long as you pay a prayer tax?
    Smarter folks than us have missed this if that is the case.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Interesting take. That means that all pistol tubes are now a NFA item. Because they are all(majority) press fit. Which brings up an interesting question. Can you press fit the average brace on a rifle tube? If so the rifle tubes are ALSO a NFA item. (probably by design in regards to the rule)

Lucky for me I saw this coming. I saw the run on rifle tubes and stocks and bought what was needed to make the pistol go away. I'll be converting my pistol lowers to rifles.

You're talking about trying to make sense of a rule that is intended to roll up a significant fraction of the law abiding citizenry, likely as a test run to casting a wider net than even this.

There's no sense to make of it. It's a CCP move.

NoAdmiration

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    If I understand this correctly, we must recognize it is deliberately complex so the ATF can act tyrannically, the best way to "stay legal," would be to get a stock and 16" barrel and then modify your pistol into a rifle. When the legal challenges shake out, you may be able to convert it back.

Yes, this is all BS and I am angry about it, but I'm not sure I can recommend a person jeopardize their gun rights as a whole over this issue. Right now there is hope that a legal remedy will fix this. But recognize the ATF has deliberately put people into a no-win situation. The only way to win is not to play.

Remember Dietrich Bonhoeffer was morally correct and was executed anyway.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I originally thought "cool, free stamp" but now I'm really starting to wonder. I'm not concerned about getting denied as I already have several suppressors. My concern is that we know these **** sticks play the long game. Entice you in to registering every ****ing rifle you own and they can then:

1) guarantee it doesn't get sold or transferred without them knowing. They can ask you all day long about anything you bought on a 4473 and your answer can be that you sold it in a private sale. No longer possible once it is NFA.

2) come back in 10/20 years and pull their machine gun ******** again or worse - deem them illegal and that they must be destroyed. Millions and millions of registered rifles with no way to avoid doing what they say - *poof* gone from existence. Imagine the PR the dems will get from that.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    I wonder how short barreled shotguns would play into this ruling. They are different classifications per the NFA but not mentioned from what Inhave read so far.
    I think they repeatedly articulate that this rule applies to Pistols with a brace attached. They specified that this does not apply to short barreled shotguns, or even pistol grip shotguns. They claim that the shotguns were never intended to be fired with only one hand, and were never classified as a Pistol in the first place.

They have other ways to mess with people who own them.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    This is what happens when you create bad law in the first place, then empower a bureaucracy to enforce it in the second.

The ONLY solution is to deal with the bad law and also the empowered bureaucracy.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    But does the GOP actually care enough to do it?

It's up to US to make them know what they care about... :nono:

It's easy to sit back and bitch about what our representatives are not doing for us. We are very very good at that. :n00b:

It's a lot more difficult to make them know that they are accountable to represent us. :twocents:

Last edited:

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    If our world worked like it's supposed to, I would hope that our legislators could look at this, and simply amend the laws to remove the whole SBR sections in the first place (and deal with suppressors while they're in there).

A 9mm MP5 clone with a 8" barrel does not become more lethal by adding a stock to it. Likewise, it is not more concealable (actually it's less). The stock only makes it more accurate and less clumsy for most people. A 9mm Lugar is a 9mm Lugar, and a .308 Win is a .308 Win, and being defined as a pistol or rifle has no relationship to their lethality or concealability or whatever nonsense you choose to fixate on.

If a law (or section of it) does not serve a meaningful purpose, beneficial to the citizenry, then it should go away.

If the law is arbitrary, used solely criminalize good citizens, or is injurious to the rights of the people, it should go away QUICKLY.

In NO case should an agency be given the power to decide where the line is between compliance and felony. The language is for the legislators, and the judgment is for the court.

Unfortunately, I don't think our legislators will do anything but make political hay about this. Maybe the courts will do something, but only when/if it finally gets there (and I don't want to be the test case).

The world doesn't work like it's supposed to, and here we are.The only remaining question is: "What are you going to do about it?"

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It's up to US to make them know what they care about... :nono:

It's easy to sit back and bitch about what our representatives are not doing for us. We are very very good at that. :n00b:

It's a lot more difficult to make them know that they are accountable to represent us. :twocents:
    Copy that BW, I'm drafting something to go to our swamp-dwellers right now. I do better when I'm less angry, could be an hour or so before I'm done.

Top Bottom