• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    I have been browsing the sticky for a northern Indiana smith to swap my milled Bulgarian barrel for a new/cut/pinned version. I have contacted a few, apparently the AK is something a lot of people aren't sure how to work on. Many moons ago, roughly 6 yrs ago I had my kit built by the Oklahoma Firing Line, they will do the work but I'd rather keep my $$ closer to home if possible. Are there any Indiana AK gurus out there?

Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    I would absolutely love to attend this but unfortunately my work schedule is full...(due to the unmotivated, the motivated are working 7 days a week) no I have not bought the barrel yet, probably next week from AK Builder, I'm still waiting for some previous orders to deliver, namely a Linch Tac charging handle and the muzzle brake I intend to use on the new shortened AK barrel.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    It's not difficult to populate a AK barrel and pin a barrel. Deming is slightly more challenging but still manageable. Wabbit here makes some great videos on the topic

Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Also on the subject, I was just looking to source a better barrel and came across a nitrite coated barrel on Arms of America for $139. I know nothing of nitrite coatings. My UF is cerakoted black and I love it, in the many yrs I've had this rifle, I've shot in snow,rain,sun and what ever. In this time I have not once cleaned or oiled the external parts, as there was no need to. Is the nitrite as durable? It would save a bit of $$ not having to cerakote the new barrel after all is done.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    nitride is much like chrome however its cheaper/ more environmental friendly/ and happens to be more durable than chrome. nitride is going to slowly replace chrome lined barrels...i believe the finish is similar to black oxide ... i plan on buying a few this week the only think im not sure of its result of the process or if they just black oxide the finish of the barrel afterwards

Top Bottom