• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    Just got a Kimber Custom II the other day. Pics will be up soon. I am fairly new to the 1911 world. my question is what things do you suggest doing to my 1911.
    It has standard sights, so I may add night sights in the future. I am planning on some VZ grips soon. I got some Kimber Tactical Pro Stainless 8 round magazines for it, cause I've heard there are magazine issues with many 1911's stock mags.
    Just thought I would pick the minds of the 1911 guys out there. Also, what websites do you guys use for 1911 stuff. I'm pretty much using VZ, Brownells, and Wilson right now.
    FYI, I LOVE the 1911. It is taking over as my daily carry and favorite platform. I wish i could have gotten a PRO size instead of the full size, but couldn't find any in our area. But the Full size carries pretty comfortable.
    Thanks.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    Consider killing two birds with one stone. Kimber has a nice looking set of simulated woodgrain colored laser grips that would look great on your kimber and provide the upgraded sites you're after. Some gunsmiths wont mess with replacing Kimber sites because they are pinned in place and are a bear to change without damaging the slide.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Congrats Glock Lover on joining the 1911 family! You will most definitely not be disappointed.

Midway USA has everything a 1911 lover needs and I have found the pricing to be solid. As for Mags, I personally use the Chip McCormick Power Mag and Shooting Star mags. It just so happens that Midway USA has them on sale right now.

1911 Parts ? Shop 1911 Gun Parts & Accessories at MidwayUSA

Although I've heard the Kimber Tactical Pro mags are great as well.

This forum is for 1911 owners and is a good resource that I refer back to.

1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Hope this helps. Can't wait to see your pics.

JD

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Practical alteration would be night sights and Crimson Trace laser grips.

Fun alteration would be fancy wood or inlayed grips.

Depending on your hand size and finger length you can go with either a long or a short trigger, or with thin grip panels or standard thickness panels. Also related to hand size and gun fit, there are flat and arched mainspring housings that can be swapped.

I would not recommend an extended slide release for a carry gun, its just another thing to snag or get in the way unless you train with it and train to do mag changes under stress situations then, and only maybe, that would be good. But it is still something that can get in the way. I know of some carry 1911s that actually have 'shaved' slide releases. BTW there are all sorts of different shapes of extended slide releases, some bulky, some not so if you go that route then you have plenty to choose from. And there is no reason why you can't buy one and use it at the range for fun and then replace it with standard for carry.

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    That's guys awesome help so far. I've got small hands so ill probably go with thin grips. But laser grips instead of night sights isn't a bad idea. Cause I like the standard sights.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    I have a hogue grip on mine and love it. Mine is still stock except for the grip and it's perfect. I have the stainless version of your gun.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Congrats on a great gun, look forward to the pics. Besides the great advice given so far, since you are new to the 1911 scene I would tell you to read the manual and follow it. Make sure you clean and lube it well before you take it out to start the "break in". Then just keep her cleaned and lubed well and she will purr happily like a kittycat.

Make sure when you re-assemble the slide to the gun that you are NOT pushing in the grip safety, as the Kimber series II guns have a firing pin safety that will protrude up from the frame as the grip safety is depressed. If you are "pushing that up" and force the slide back on you can shear off the FPS.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Just got a Kimber Custom II the other day. Pics will be up soon. I am fairly new to the 1911 world. my question is what things do you suggest doing to my 1911.
    1. Shoot a few thousand (that's thousand, not hundred) rounds through it, including at least 200 rounds of your chosen carry ammo.
    2. If you have malfunctions, document them as fully as possible (including photos if you can). If they continue, use the information you get from your documentation to help a gunsmith fix your problems. Make sure you get through the 200 rounds of your carry ammo without any malfunctions of any kind.
    3. Along the way, make notes about things that you don't like about the gun. This will help you focus your plans if and when you decide to make modifications.
    4. After you've done #1-3, think about what you'd like to change that would make it easier or more efficient for you to operate the gun.
    You could probably add the night sights prior to #1, but I wouldn't change anything else unless you have a lot of experience with 1911-pattern guns and know exactly what you want.

hunt4fun

Retired
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    North Salem
    What rhino said.

Especially the part about 200 rounds of your carry ammo. Brand new, I'd shoot 500 of round nose through it before shooting the 200 carry ammo.

Hunt4Fun

Top Bottom