• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Sooo, I'm possibly going to help a relative get a coyote on their property entirely for the purpose of getting rid of the animal (Nuisance, not hunting). It is, however, going to be during hunting season even though it is not IMO hunting. Does that mean I'm limited by caliber restrictions or can I use my .223 still?

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    No caliber restrictions whether it's hunting season or not. .223 will work great - just be careful of what's down range of any shot you take. You will need a license and written permission if you don't own the land.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Really? I read it as... for predation or nuisance purposes written permission is all that's needed. Does that change since it is also during hunting season or in general?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Here is what I'm basing that on.
    Landowners, or a person with written permission from a landowner, may take coyotes year-round on private property by snaring, trapping or shooting without a permit from the DNR. A landowner does not need a permit to take coyotes on his/her property by one of these methods, but a hunting or trapping license is required to hunt or trap coyotes on land other than your own.

From here: DNR: Coyotes

You know what. Now that I re-read that I can see how it is only the landowner that is exempt. The first sentence is rather confusing (or I am failing to remember proper English, which is more likely what is going on here.) The first sentence by itself reads like either the owner or someone the owner gives permission to can do it without a permit. If someone has confirmed the license IS in fact needed then I assume the first sentence should be understood as only addressing the landowner as the subject...the landowner doesn't need a license to either kill it themselves or have someone else do it.

I'm prone to over think things...What say ye?

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I say your re-read is correct. Landowners don't need a license to hunt on their own property - coyotes or otherwise. All others need a license.

Resident owners or lessees of farmland don't need an Indiana general hunting or trapping license while hunting or trapping on their own farmland, either. In this way, the license requirements for coyotes are nearly identical to all other small game / furbearer species. The only difference I see is that owners of land that is not farmland are license exempt for coyotes.

Top Bottom