• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    A friend invited me to go coyote hunting in the morning... I know nothin about coyote hunting...do I need a license? I know there isn't a restriction on what guns are used... Please help by tomorrow morning haha

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Thanks any helpful hints and tips are appreciated also

Well, simply put.... as said above, it isn't likely you'll see any if it is raining. But our weather here has already turned to light snow. Yotes do often hunt when the wind is up, as it covers THEIR scent from small mammals.

Tips: You won't have much luck "stalking" yotes. At least I never have. Sitting, as you would in a deer stand, is best. If you'll be out for a while....using a call that sounds like a wounded rabbit works well, to call them in.

I and some friends used to hunt them at night in Wisconsin (when that was legal there). Moonlit nights are awesome for calling. Yotes move more from just before dusk to just after dawn... in search of food, same time of day that rabbits are out and moving. I've never had any luck seeing them after about 8AM. Friends tried to tell me that when I was 'green'.... but I had to learn it the hard way. ;)

Even if you don't see any, look for tracks and droppings. It's a learning experience for sure. But unlike deer and such, yotes can change their 'range' of movement, nightly even. But if you find some trails (tracks).... you may get lucky the next day, hunting in areas within the same 1/2 mile or so.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Get a copy of the DISCRETIONARY LETTERS from the DNR.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    WE hunt all the time on private property and have never had a license to hunt. What license are you speaking of. DNR has been around a few times and we had a pile of them. Had good conversations about the ways of the world, guns and woman and they were on their way.

Again, what license.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Stake a liberal to the ground out in an open field and put nothing but Fox news or Ann Coulter stuff on their ipod.
    They'll scream like the most wounded of critters.

Should pull a yote in.

If not it's still time well spent ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    WE hunt all the time on private property and have never had a license to hunt. What license are you speaking of. DNR has been around a few times and we had a pile of them. Had good conversations about the ways of the world, guns and woman and they were on their way.

Again, what license.

I would think that a non immediate family member guest, hunting with the landowner , would still need a license.

The license would be just the general "hunting" license.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would think that a non immediate family member guest, hunting with the landowner , would still need a license.

The license would be just the general "hunting" license.

A general hunting license? Is there a bag limit by numbers or by stars (i.e., being legally able to take twice as many 2-star generals as 4-star generals)?

manley82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    creepiest hunts ever for me... calling with a mouse squeaker only to have them come from behind you and howl... whewww chills just remembering it. haha

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    season doesn't open till oct 15 unless landowner signs request for you to take them out of season. you do need a regular hunting license. no restriction on firearm. pelts wont be prime till mid nov.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    ugh... You don't need a license for yotes in indiana, they fall under varmint/pest law. The DNR Hunting and trapping guide is a google search away...

The season is for non privately owned lands, and you need a license for that...

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    they fall under varmint/pest law. ...

No they don't. They are a regulated furbearing game species - not considered a varmint whatsoever. You might consider taking another look at that hunting/trapping guide a little more closely.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    No they don't. They are a regulated furbearing game species - not considered a varmint whatsoever. You might consider taking another look at that hunting/trapping guide a little more closely.

Coyotes
    Landowners, or a person with written permission from a landowner, may take coyotes year-round on private property by snaring, trapping or shooting without a permit from the DNR. A landowner does not need a permit to take coyotes on his/her property by one of these methods, but a hunting or trapping license is required to hunt or trap coyotes on land other than your own.

DNR: Do I need a permit?

Just sayin....

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Never hunted yotes but I had a friend that did, and haven't talked to him in years. (probably should try to look him up!) But he told me his method was to either get some Beef that was past its sale date from a local grocery store or butcher and stake it out in a field. He also told me he would get a call form a couple of famers he knows and they would occasionally "donate" some Piglet carcuses because their Sows would always lose a few. And stake them out in a similar manner. Not sure if he was full of BS or if it actually worked or was legal. Like I said never had the opportunity to hunt coyotes so I never checked the regs or anything.

Top Bottom