• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ill admit it. I'm terrible at sharpening knives. I've tried using stones but just cant be consistent enough holding the angles to do any good. Knives come off the stones duller than they go on sometimes. I have literally bought new knives to not worry about sharpening another one, haha.

Need some recommendations for a knife newb to be able to get a decent edge on a blade. Nothing serious, just want a good sharp edge on my knife when i go to clean game. Ive tried a couple of the little hand held diamond edge cutters, but they seem cheap and don't seem to work. Whats a guy got to do to get a good edge these days?

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Lots of good systems are available, but like grunt soldier said, the Spyderco sharpmaker is a winner at a pretty good price.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Sharpmaker is what I use too. It works best on knives that already have a decent edge geometry as even the "medium" stones are pretty fine and won't remove much steel. There are more aggressive stones available but they are pretty expensive.

I've had some knives - particularly cheap pocket knives without much of an edge - that I dragged across the Sharpmaker for a long time with no detectable result. On the other hand, every decent blade I've used it on has ended up shaving sharp.

jmdavis984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Greenfield
    I'll put in my 2 cents for the Lansky sharpeners. The stones are rather narrow, but it is easy to use and can be used to re-profile if necessary. The sharpmaker won't do that.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I really like the looks of the Sharpmaker. May be going on the Christmas/Birthday list if I dont just outright buy one myself first.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I use a Sharpmaker and love it. I added the coarse diamond and ultra fine stones and it will take a very dull knife and bring it to a mirror polished razor edge. As stated, you aren't going to do any re-profiling or repairs with it though.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    How do you use a Lansky-type sharpener? I have a Smith's that is exactly the same but I have the same problem as the OP, my knives come out of the clamp duller than before.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    How do you use a Lansky-type sharpener? I have a Smith's that is exactly the same but I have the same problem as the OP, my knives come out of the clamp duller than before.

What I did to get my knives razor sharp was I took the smiths out, walked it over to the trash and proceeded to pick up my sharp maker and put a razors edge on my ESEEs and spyderco's. :D

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Sharpmaker is the way to go for you. I also sucked at sharpening knives. I bought it on Amazon for about $45, and now all my knives will slice the hair right off my arm.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I just got my spyderco sharpener, i'm using a very dull esee and i can't sharpen that thing to save my life. I was able to sharpen a cold steel push blade which was nice.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Jeff mark your edge with a sharpie marker. then run it over the stones a couple times and see where the sharpie is gone at. that will tell you the angle you need to set the stones at. more than likely the esee is above a 40 degree angle and needs to be re-profiled a bit to get it where it should be. One of my Izulas was at almost a 50 degree inclusive angle ( 25 degree's per side) the sharpmaker only does 40 and 30 (inclusive) angles. just take your time and try not to get frustrated. sharpening even on a sharpmaker takes time and practice. Once you set the angle though it will only take a few swipes on the stones to get your blade sharp.

just take your time, use the coarse stones and only the corners (non flat side) and do 30 strokes per side. then move over to the fine stones and do 30 strokes per side. make sure to take extra care to verify that the blade is straight up and down. not at a angle.

Top Bottom