Need a wireless printer.....recommendation.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    So give me a line on a new wireless all-in-one for home to use with a Dell Lattitude E6500. It won't be used a lot, but I don't want to service it every time I use it. My current wired all in one costs a fortune in ink cartridges, since they don't produce many prints, and won't sit unused for long without replacement. Any help, INGO IT types?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I just bought a new Canon Wireless MG3520. Got it at Fry's for $49 on sale over the weekend. Scans, copies and prints. They also have a different model on sale for $49 (with a promo code) for the next couple of days. All the manufacturers will get you on ink. That's how they actually make their money. HP is really bad about it, as is Lexmark.

Edit: The one they have for $49 is regularly $99. It's a Canon MX472. Even has a fax.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    We've got an HP Deskjet 3051A. Wireless or usb. Prints, scans,and copies. Like it well enough that we got another one for our eldest when she went off to ISU. No idea what we paid for it though. Come over and check it out sometime, if you can work it into your busy schedule.:)

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    I'm gonna second any Canon product that will fit your needs. The ink is fairly cheap, and the colors are seperate so if you run out of blue, you don't have to blow 65 bucks on a tri-color cartridge. I've been running with a Canon MG5320 for about 3 years. Couldn't be happier!

If price of ink is the major deciding factor, stay away from HP unless you like feeling violated.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I've been looking @ some reasonably priced HP's, but when I go from the printer section to the ink section at the store.....POW!...In some cases a compliment of cartridges costs more than the printer. Of course, there are amazing claims about the number of sheets that they will print. I don't know whether to believe them or not, and don't know what happens when the cartridges sit in the printer for a couple weeks, and then are needed again?
    In addition, there must be a Bazillion HP models out there. Every time I think I found a useable one, I see that it has been discontinued!
    P.S. Retirement so far has been plenty busy....

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    think about what you are printing. If you are doing text, that's mostly white space. If you are printing images/graphs/slides with backgrounds you are going to go through a LOT more toner. Also print using ink-saver settings for all but final copy work.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I've had an HP Photosmart Wireless for several years of trouble free operation. Prints pretty quick, good for black and white or color and will print a credible photo on glossy stock. I think I paid just a little over $120 when wireless printers were the hot new thing. Probably the longest lasting printer I have owned to date.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I bought an HP Officejet Pro 8600 about 18 months ago. It copies, scans and prints and I have only used it wireless as I had read where hooking it up as a wired printer and then trying to use it wireless had resulted in some issues for them. You can also email things to it and they will print.

I buy the XL print cartridges and the set of all 4 runs about $100 on Ebay. I buy ink about once a year and do a pretty fair amount of printing. Watch for printers that make you change all of the color cartridges even though they are not all empty. I read many reviews before buying and a lot of them said that if one ran out, you had to change all of them. The three color cartridges on this model are all separate and are changed as they run out...not all at the same time.

This one also duplexes when printing so I save paper as well.

I've been quite happy with this one. I must have hit a great deal on it as I see it is now running about $270 on Amazon for the printer. I paid around $150 when I bought it. The printer I had previously ate ink cartridges like they were going out of style and even the refilled ones were running me about $60 a month so this has been a significant savings for me.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    [h=1]HP LaserJet Pro 200 All-in-One Color Printer (M276nw)[/h]
    Lots of good printers out there. I've always leaned toward HP's. Have a LaserJet Pro 200 (mdl M276nw).

Wireless, USB, network, and color, as I make flyers, etc. with some sort of 'minor frequency'. Of course, when color isn't required, it prints black just fine and laser inked pages don't run if a drop of water hits it, as they do with ink jets.

However, it should be noted that it was around $300, so doesn't fit into the 'inexpensive' category. For me, it's what fit the bill.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I second brother. I have been using one in my home office and also for my school work. After 2 years ii have never had a problem. The ink cartridges are about half the price of HP also. I run from HP now, I had 3 in a row that lasted only about a year with only light to moderate use.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    We got a good deal at Costco on an HP OfficeJet 6700. Setup was easy and I have been really happy with the wireless printing from different platforms, PC, iOS, Android.

The ink cartridges have been reasonable, and they have a high capacity black that is pretty economical. If you REALLY don't need color, though, laser is the way to go from a cost perspective.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Thanks for all the good advice! I'll probably be deciding on a printer this week. I have to say, I'm leaning toward spending more up front and going for the laser jet type.
    Thanks again, INGO.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We just picked up an Epson WF-2540 for about $60 on sale before Christmas. So far, no issues.

Had a Brother printer, and had all kinds of annoying problems. It ATE ink, and finally leaked black all over the counter. Had to be rebooted pretty often to re-join the network. The leak was the last straw.

We really want a laser, but the Epson was so cheap....

Top Bottom