• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    First thing, I’m in Franklin, TN (just south of Nashviile) visiting family right now.

The weird thing is the communication dropouts. The explosion was at 6:30 this morning. Phone service didn’t drop out until hours later. AT&T cell and landline are out. 911 is out. They sent out an emergency notification to cell phones saying that 911 was down and to call a different number in case of an emergency.

Answer me this, how did I get said message that 911 is out when I have no cell service? I got the notification within 10 seconds of the person next to me who was on Verizon and did have cell service. Is the network really down or what?

Those systems have battery backups for short outages. Those hold the systems up until a genny can come online or power is restored. That would explain why it was able to alert and you didnt lose service immediately. Or the alert was sent from another data center. So once the batteries died in that data center and generators couldnt come online due to NG feed disruptions, the DC went dark and you lost it then.

Also there are two parts of a cell signal; A data channel that sends 160byte data packets for signalling (cell tower info, call info, roaming/tower handoffs, etc) and then a high bandwidth voice channel for the actual data and voice traffic. (though now its all digital and pure data today)

That is why text messages used to be 140 character limit (one SMS message would fit in a data packet) and why SMS works even when nothing else does. If part of the network is up, they can send SMS even though voice service is down. And SMS is not carrier specific. Its a universal standard across all towers.

So a protip for one of these situations:
    If you find yourself unable to call or send text but you still have tower connection, go into settings and turn off MMS. (which sends the fancy limitless multimedia text/video/audio packets across the voice channel) Turning off MMS forces your phone to send on SMS data channels and your message is more likely to get through when MMS or phone calls wont go.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Those systems have battery backups for short outages. Those hold the systems up until a genny can come online or power is restored. That would explain why it was able to alert and you didnt lose service immediately. Or the alert was sent from another data center. So once the batteries died in that data center and generators couldnt come online due to NG feed disruptions, the DC went dark and you lost it then.

Also there are two parts of a cell signal; A data channel that sends 160byte data packets for signalling (cell tower info, call info, roaming/tower handoffs, etc) and then a high bandwidth voice channel for the actual data and voice traffic. (though now its all digital and pure data today)

That is why text messages used to be 140 character limit (one SMS message would fit in a data packet) and why SMS works even when nothing else does. If part of the network is up, they can send SMS even though voice service is down. And SMS is not carrier specific. Its a universal standard across all towers.

So a protip for one of these situations:
    If you find yourself unable to call or send text but you still have tower connection, go into settings and turn off MMS. (which sends the fancy limitless multimedia text/video/audio packets across the voice channel) Turning off MMS forces your phone to send on SMS data channels and your message is more likely to get through when MMS or phone calls wont go.

In my experience, most of the cell tower backup generators are diesel powered and have 100 gallon tanks that could run for a day or two straight. So it’s pretty rare that towers would ever actually lose power.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    In my experience, most of the cell tower backup generators are diesel powered and have 100 gallon tanks that could run for a day or two straight. So it’s pretty rare that towers would ever actually lose power.

Yep. But when the data center your region uses to route traffic is taken out, the tower will be fine, it just wont know how/where to send the traffic.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    So if there were reports if fun fire has any one found empty shells? Could the gun shots be part of the recording or pa system of the rv?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I just heard on News Nation (out of Chicago), that "Police believe foul play may have been involved."

Let's see... the exploding RV broadcast a warning for about 15 minutes warning people to evacuate before it exploded. Huh. See, I never would've made that connection. That is some crack police work right there!

But seriously, glad this didn't turn out as badly as it could have. I wonder how much more we'll hear about it until hopefully they catch those responsible.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    So if there were reports if fun fire has any one found empty shells? Could the gun shots be part of the recording or pa system of the rv?
    Its gonna be near impossible to find shell casings after that blast. The arriving officers found no immediate evidence of gunfire pre-blast according to what I’ve read so far. Now let’s all take a minute to reflect on the loss of the Downtown Nashville Hooters.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I just heard on News Nation (out of Chicago), that "Police believe foul play may have been involved."

Let's see... the exploding RV broadcast a warning for about 15 minutes warning people to evacuate before it exploded. Huh. See, I never would've made that connection. That is some crack police work right there!

But seriously, glad this didn't turn out as badly as it could have. I wonder how much more we'll hear about it until hopefully they catch those responsible.

Depends on whether the perp is thought to be a "patriot" or "proud boy" or otherwise slightly conservative, or if it is a liberal Antifa aligned pro lockdown type. If its the former, wall to wall coverage. The latter? Bombing? What bombing?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    We need to make peace with the idea that FACTS will come to the public in time.

bay.png

This needs repeated.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I say it was some wino mixing chocolate milk with low fat milk...for Richard Prior.

Better check who got recently canned from AT&T.

Grudge against tech.

Unibomber II.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County

I read where ATT said it's generators at that location are natural gas powered, and that gas lines were damaged by blast. Can't find where I read it....and it could be wrong.

I heard a witness say she thought it was recorded gun shots, really loud blasts. She said that is what woke her up, that it was much louder than the recording that was playing.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    At this point my money is on a suicidal person who wanted the notoriety of being known as the "Nashville Christmas Bomber" in the history books.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Depends on whether the perp is thought to be a "patriot" or "proud boy" or otherwise slightly conservative, or if it is a liberal Antifa aligned pro lockdown type. If its the former, wall to wall coverage. The latter? Bombing? What bombing?

Oh, I wasn't even thinking along those lines. I just thought that it was pretty obvious that foul play was involved. :):

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    For those getting here late........

Quick Rundown of Facts:
    - Eyewitness report RV had been parked there overnight. Arrived at 1:22am
    - Eyewitness reports multiple rapid shots fired and calls police.
    - Cop comes up on RV that doesn't belong while responding to a shots fired call.
    - Cop calls bomb squad.
    - Before bomb squad arrives, vehicle detonated.
    - Police confirm at some point the vehicle warned of a 15 minute warning. (No video or audio to confirm, police said this during press conference)
    - Vehicle warned people to evacuate area before detonation. "If you can hear this message, evacuate now"
    - Three confirmed casualties at this time, none life threatening.
    - Location directly outside AT&T
    - Confirmed phone outages, which comprises 3 states, and includes Vanderbilt & TriStar hospitals.
    - Reporting cellular outages in TN as well with AT&T service.
    - Gas lines have been affected by the explosion, which limits back up generators for phone service.
    - 911 service has also been affected.
    - Ground stop at Nashville Airport, Air Traffic Control has been affected.
    - Confirmed first hand accounts of some ATMs being offline
    - Confirmed first hand accounts of credit card/gas pumps being affected. Multiple stations are cash only.
    - Confirmed first hand accounts some stations have run out of regular fuel in the area.
    - Cadaver dogs have picked up scent of human remains at blast site.
    - First responder network is currently up.

Top Bottom