• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    More evidence that those in charge have no idea who their customer is...

Oh, they know. I just think the new generation of NASCAR leadership doesn't particularly like their customers. They would like to find new customers. They sure are doing a bang up job driving the old ones away.:rolleyes:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh, they know. I just think the new generation of NASCAR leadership doesn't particularly like their customers. They would like to find new customers. They sure are doing a bang up job driving the old ones away.:rolleyes:

Years ago when the Speedway closed down the 1st turn snake pit and made it into Luxury RV parking they killed the place. It took a while but they were moving towards a family oriented event. The golf course took up a lot of the infield and they wanted it to be a family picnic area. hard to do when half dressed mud covered drunks are roaming the infield. So they tried to get rid of the drunks. Limited cooler size. Served $5 beers (more now I hear) all in an attempt to get the crowds under control. Epic fail.

This has spread up into the stands as well. People are not going to drag the kids out to something like this and the kids today have zero interest anyway. We are loosing the car culture.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Years ago when the Speedway closed down the 1st turn snake pit and made it into Luxury RV parking they killed the place. It took a while but they were moving towards a family oriented event. The golf course took up a lot of the infield and they wanted it to be a family picnic area. hard to do when half dressed mud covered drunks are roaming the infield. So they tried to get rid of the drunks. Limited cooler size. Served $5 beers (more now I hear) all in an attempt to get the crowds under control. Epic fail.

This has spread up into the stands as well. People are not going to drag the kids out to something like this and the kids today have zero interest anyway. We are loosing the car culture.

I quit following NASCAR when the "car of the future" thing got in full swing and all of the drivers I knew either retired, quit, and/or switched teams. I'd still watch Bristol (some of it) and Daytona (again some of it). But I don't know if I've watched more than a couple of laps this entire year. Same with the NFL. These folks are going after a new demographic and I'm not it.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    We are loosing the car culture.

Most people couldn't even closely guess how much HP or torque their vehicle has. But most can tell you its gas mileage. Maybe people would watch if the race simply took stock cars and the winner is the guy who goes the farthest on a set amount of fuel. ... That would bring back the "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" idea! :rolleyes:

-rvb

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Most people couldn't even closely guess how much HP or torque their vehicle has. But most can tell you its gas mileage. Maybe people would watch if the race simply took stock cars and the winner is the guy who goes the farthest on a set amount of fuel. ... That would bring back the "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" idea! :rolleyes:

-rvb
    You hit that nail on the head. The era of the family Mini van is upon us.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

-rvb

Or just race stock cars, meaning cars that are currently on showroom floors. With stock engines and drivetrains. My guess is manufacturers want no part of this...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Or just race stock cars, meaning cars that are currently on showroom floors. With stock engines and drivetrains. My guess is manufacturers want no part of this...

Think about what is being said.

EPA. Mandated CAFE standards. Aero is all important. Crumple zones. Parking spots are smaller and smaller. We are being herded towards public transportation.
    Soon the only rear wheel drive V-8 from GM will be the rear engine vette. And the millennial's could give a crap so no, the manf's do not care much. No money in it for them.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

EPA. Mandated CAFE standards. Aero is all important. Crumple zones. Parking spots are smaller and smaller. We are being herded towards public transportation.
    Soon the only rear wheel drive V-8 from GM will be the rear engine vette. And the millennial's could give a crap so no, the manf's do not care much. No money in it for them.

Yep, just show the public what the crap they sell today is really capable of. LOL

Maybe race showroom 150 style trucks?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

yup, selling muscle cars, sports sedans, whatever kills the CAFE. And if they are going to hurt their CAFE they want it to be on the bigger profit margin vehicles which today is trucks.

Maybe race showroom 150 style trucks?

NASCAR has a truck series, but it's stupid..... truck racing should involve mud. Otherwise it's just like stock cars, but w/ slower/heavier/less balanced vehicles. yawn.

-rvb

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    yup, selling muscle cars, sports sedans, whatever kills the CAFE. And if they are going to hurt their CAFE they want it to be on the bigger profit margin vehicles which today is trucks.

They ran a truck show at Raceway park when the nationwide (Busch) series was still there. Great venue for both class’s. Super show all around.
    We saw the trucks run at the Texas motorplex when he had the infinity series cars there for Koss racing. Those trucks sounded amazing and ran just south of our times in the open wheel infinity cars. Only time I have seen them run.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    As I was pondering something pithy I stumbled on an idea that sounds cool in my head, but you guys can beat it down.

A triatholon of sorts for for trucks, an all day event where one truck, one set of tires, competes in three events for points in each to become the overall event winner. An asphalt track drag race, a truck pull, and a dirt track race to determine the final winner. Could replace the drag race with a timed mud bog of sorts.

Lots of guys have trucks and would love to compete.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As I was pondering something pithy I stumbled on an idea that sounds cool in my head, but you guys can beat it down.

A triatholon of sorts for for trucks, an all day event where one truck, one set of tires, competes in three events for points in each to become the overall event winner. An asphalt track drag race, a truck pull, and a dirt track race to determine the final winner. Could replace the drag race with a timed mud bog of sorts.

Lots of guys have trucks and would love to compete.

Run with it. Start a series around this. Be pretty hard to find 1 truck that would run all 3 and 1st......live and 2nd.......be competitive in all of them and 3rd.....Live...:):

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Started loosing interest in NASCAR when all the cars started to look the same. Chevy...really, or is that a Ford...or ... they all looked the same. While they are finally addressing this, I continued loosing interest when they stopped showing the race on over the air (read free) TV. I don't watch enough TV to throw money at a cable company (or any pay-me company) so I guess NASCAR is more after the money of paying viewers than old folks like me who at one time could tell you everything about every team.

And I was thrilled to see a car dressed in Remington green the few times they were live on TV. And now firearms are a no-no. Guess NASCAR is now a no-no.

I guess NASCAR has forgotten that good-ole-boy-redneck roots!

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Meh. I’d rather go to local tracks anyway. Nascar hasn’t been the same since the spoiled kid took it over. Don’t wanna watch a bunch of millionaires who doesn’t even turn a wrench “race” each other for 3 hours. I love racing, but nascar is no longer racing. It’s a reality show.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    [video=youtube;V8258zK_QNI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8258zK_QNI&mc_cid=4b52deb0f3&mc_eid=e7140 21034[/video]

Top Bottom