• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    After 2 hours of looking, i called off the search. Boaters wernt paying attention and it was getting dangerous. He was very thorough and although we did not find it i was happy with his effort. He did not ask to be paid but he received partial payment

If this ever happens to anyone else i highly recommend

Indy Mph Watersports
    9520 Uptown Dr Ste AIndianapolis, IN 46256
    (317) 842-1988

Geist is a deadly body of water.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I lost a pair of fairly expensive prescription sunglasses in 12' of water at Nolin in Kentucky, dove (without scuba gear) for an hour, could only see about 2 feet to either side of me, never found em'. Later in the afternoon, when we went back up to the house, there laid my glasses! Seems I had taken my cheap Lowes tinted safety glasses out on the water and left the expensive ones at the house.:):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I lost my gun in a tragic boating accident.... no... really...

So on Wednesday night my girlfriend had the bright idea to to kayaking. About 15 min into our "adventure " i flip mine, cell phone, keys, wallet, firearm... everything on me, right after going in i feel my firearm in its holster hit my armpit. I grab it and put it in her kayak and she flips. Firearm goes down!!

Now i have to pay someone to go down and grab it from the bottom tommorow. If they cant find it the fire department is going in to look for it next month for "training"

Its gonna be interesting

Lesson of the day
    A: dont have an $800 firearm on if you might go in
    B: clips on holsters suck... thanks james Yeager

Kinda late now, but for future reference:

https://www.amazon.com/Blusmart-Wat...TF8&qid=1496665892&sr=8-19&keywords=dry+pouch

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Water is why God made Glocks and lanyards!

...and INGO too! So the rest of us learn from the painful experiences of our fellow INGO members. I feel sorry for mmills50, but I will keep that in mind for sure next time I go out on a kayak. I've done some fishing with kayaks, and some of them are inherently unstable. I would probably leave mine in the car rather than bring it on the kayak just because the chances of flipping some kayaks are pretty high. But I like your idea of a lanyard if choosing to carry on a kayak - very good idea! This is one thread I will keep in the back of my mind for future reference.

mmills50 - hope you find it!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

That would definitely be some off body carry...stand by while I open all my water proof bags to get my gun Mr Griz.

I think I'd just use a lanyard and carry something I wasn't too concerned about. I lost a nice Phoebus knife once while SCUBA diving in a 350' deep lake in WI. The clip retainer didn't do it's job. That was the last expensive knife I lost...or dove with. Plenty of less expensive tools to do the job like the stainless KABAR clone I use now. I don't seem to lose the cheap ones...win/win!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    ...and INGO too! So the rest of us learn from the painful experiences of our fellow INGO members. I feel sorry for mmills50, but I will keep that in mind for sure next time I go out on a kayak. I've done some fishing with kayaks, and some of them are inherently unstable. I would probably leave mine in the car rather than bring it on the kayak just because the chances of flipping some kayaks are pretty high. But I like your idea of a lanyard if choosing to carry on a kayak - very good idea! This is one thread I will keep in the back of my mind for future reference.

mmills50 - hope you find it!

That and a holster that is both securely attached to you and has positive retention. Glocks are not heavy enough that they'll drag you under if you have to swim.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How's that? I fished it since the 60s when the family bought a house close to the lake.

Have you ever tried to ski there. When you go down it is a dangerous place. I have had 2 friends get hit while waiting for the pull boat to get turned around and come get them. I was driving on one of these occasions and spotting another. When I was driving was after the 1st incident so we would push our ski well up out of the water to be seen. My buddy had his ski up out of the water and he still got banged in the head by an idiot drunk ass boater. We pulled him out and another boat chased the idiot down. No prop hit thank God but he had a concussion.

We have not been back since.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That would definitely be some off body carry...stand by while I open all my water proof bags to get my gun Mr Griz.

I think I'd just use a lanyard and carry something I wasn't too concerned about. I lost a nice Phoebus knife once while SCUBA diving in a 350' deep lake in WI. The clip retainer didn't do it's job. That was the last expensive knife I lost...or dove with. Plenty of less expensive tools to do the job like the stainless KABAR clone I use now. I don't seem to lose the cheap ones...win/win!

Wallet, keys, phone, whatever else I don't want to get wet, goes in the waterproof bag. Gun goes in a holster with suitable retention for flipping over in a kayak.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think an AR / AK would be preferred in this situation. You could tether it to the kayak, and if you did lose it, it'd be a lot easier to locate on the bottom. ;)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Have you ever tried to ski there. When you go down it is a dangerous place. I have had 2 friends get hit while waiting for the pull boat to get turned around and come get them. I was driving on one of these occasions and spotting another. When I was driving was after the 1st incident so we would push our ski well up out of the water to be seen. My buddy had his ski up out of the water and he still got banged in the head by an idiot drunk ass boater. We pulled him out and another boat chased the idiot down. No prop hit thank God but he had a concussion.

We have not been back since.
    and it hasn't changed since the 40's either. :):

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    That and a holster that is both securely attached to you and has positive retention. Glocks are not heavy enough that they'll drag you under if you have to swim.

Hints why i said clips suck... thanks james Yeager

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I am still trying to figure out why the OP would have an $800 gun, wallet, keys and cell phone on him in a kayak in the first place. That's what lockable glove compartments are for.

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Because i was an idiot lol... to complete the picture i was in jeans and regular shoes as well.

I shared because i thought it was funny, we all joke about losing our guns in a tragic boating accident...

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Update:
    FD-PD is going to try to find it but they are not holding out much hope because of the ground composition

I ordered a smith and wesson m&p9 full size m2.0 with night sightsfrom beach grove firearms for $520 out the door. It will be here Thurs or Friday

For anyone intereste: steven r jinkins has the TLR1 HL for $126, cheapest price i can find, no word in BGF will match this price, ill ask when i pick up my firearm

Also rumor has it that beach grove firearms might not rebuild the range, which is unfortunate

Last edited:
    Top Bottom