• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I had a few errands to do today so I rolled OCing on my side. One of my stops was to get my oil changed. Pulled into the local Jiffy lube and was told it would be few minutes and would I like to wait in there lobby. No problem, I walked on it and got a cup of joe before sitting down to wait. There was only one other person in the lobby. There was no way she could miss my firearm on my side as I poured my coffee, but I didn't really think about it as I sat down.
    The lady sitting across me says, "Excuse me sir. I hope you don't me asking,"
    "Yes?" I say looking at her. Pretty sure I know what's coming.
    "I noticed you're gun on your side. I've been thinking about buying a gun, do you know where I could take lessons and learn how to shoot it?"
    So I told her about the looking at some classes through the NRA etc. She asked a few more questions about LTCH and the such and that was pretty much it. Very pleasant. I also told her that she should come join us on INGO cause we're just welcoming to everyone! :):
    As I went back into the shop to pay for my oil change the two guys in the shop were asking questions about my gun etc. What kind of ammo etc. Again very pleasant.
    Just wanted to share my fairly boring mundane OC to counter all the crazy stories we hear from time to time.
    Carry on ladies and gents.....

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Sounds like another boringly pleasant and informative OC day. ;)

I'm half tempted to start concealing just to get a taste of the excitement. :):

:shady:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I had a few errands to do today so I rolled OCing on my side.
    . . .
    Just wanted to share my fairly boring mundane OC to counter all the crazy stories we hear from time to time.
    Carry on ladies and gents.....
    Much better than my day. I was going out to run some errands, got a call and was invited to go to a fancy cigar bar in Orland Park, ILLINOIS. No mans land for gun owners. There is a Para Carry 9 on my hip. I'm 15 miles from home and don't have time to double back. Damn I hate Illinois. While driving down US30 toward the Illinois state line I slip the gun out of the belt holster and set it on the seat next to me. Hit the next stop light, dropped the magazine, racked the round out of the chamber, slipped it back into the magazine. Next stoplight I tossed the magazine into the glove box. Then reached around to open the rear seat/trunk access that is hidden under the rear seat armrest and tossed the gun into the trunk. OK not technically the legal way to transport a firearm but it was the best I could do at the time.

Illinois is a total PITA.

Sounds like your open carry experience was a whole lot better than mine. I simply walked around the cigar bar with an friggin empty holster :n00b:

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    Um...you might wanna edit your post to take out the part about breaking the law. You did it mostly right for traveling through Illinois, but you can't have your destination be inside it. I might be missing something, if so let me know.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Um...you might wanna edit your post to take out the part about breaking the law. You did it mostly right for traveling through Illinois, but you can't have your destination be inside it. I might be missing something, if so let me know.

Well actually my destination was not inside Illinois, it ultimately was Schererville. I started in Lowell, went into Illinois to the cigar bar, then went to a meeting in Schererville where I had an afternoon meeting with a couple associates. So the cigar bar was just a stopping point on my way to my destination. Federal travel laws allow you to travel through anti-gun places, even make a stop, if your gun is legal in the starting and ending point. Even then my gun was not illegal in the stop over point, I just was not allowed to carry it while I was at my stop over point. Illinois actually allows for a gun to be in a vehicle under state law, unloaded. Its just a PITA to have to unload, lock up etc every time I cross the border.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Even then my gun was not illegal in the stop over point, I just was not allowed to carry it while I was at my stop over point. Illinois actually allows for a gun to be in a vehicle under state law, unloaded. Its just a PITA to have to unload, lock up etc every time I cross the border.

Yep.

Most people buy into the myth that you can't own/"carry" a handgun in IL. As long as it's unloaded & in an enclosed container you can even carry it on your person (unless superceded by local ordinances like in Chicago). Or, at least, so says the IL Supreme Court.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    WOW! i thought for sure this thread would have started with the lady a jiffy lube running in horror after seeing your firearm and then the employees calling the police. once the police arrived they would have proned you out and then after playing 100 questions would have chewed your arse for carrying like a moron and then would have confiscated your bullets and left you with an empty mag and a black eye. huh, i guess not everyone gets shot at or arrested after OCing. at least you didn't get pawned by an old lady in a motorized wheelchair! sounds like a good day!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Wifey, kiddo and I drove to The Dutch Essenhaus near Middlebury, Indiana this past Friday. On the way back home we stopped at a McDonald's on the northern edge of Ft. Wayne for a bathroom break. When I entered, there was a long-bearded truck driver at a table, sitting across from a guy looking like he was in his 70's.

As I passed, the bearded guy leaned toward the older guy and said, "Nice f'ing gun," just loudly enough for me to hear it.

I went in, did my business, and then headed back out through the seating area to go back to my car. As I passed their table again, the old man made eye contact with me, smiled and said, "Howdy!" I said "Howdy!" right back and left.

The bad part was that, upon returning to my car, wifey was watching a guy that had left the strip club across the street slowly troll his way on foot through the parking lot of the McDonalds. He was peering into cars as he walked by and raised wifey's alarm levels. When he saw her in our car he took a more direct route out of the parking lot. Wifey has her license and her own firearm so I wasn't too worried, but it gave me some comfort knowing that she could handle most any situation that came up while I was inside the building.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    You are going to ruin it for all of us.

OC has an allure, an appeal to it because of the extreme risks involved. The excitement of living on the edge is what makes us so sexy to everybody else. If you keep telling people that it's actually pretty boring, and no more exciting than any other way of carrying a gun, the women might stop wanting us.

The myth simply MUST be maintained!

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    I went in, did my business, and then headed back out through the seating area to go back to my car. As I passed their table again, the old man made eye contact with me, smiled and said, "Howdy!" I said "Howdy!" right back and left.

Makes me think he's one of those people who call OC'ing "Cowboy Style." It's an annoying term, especially since I've never worn cowboy boots or a cowboy hat. I just haven't thought of a good come-back yet.

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    everytime i've OC it's been pretty boreing ...thinking maybe tapeing my xd 45 to my forehead...but its nice knowing that ppl are pretty comfortable with OCing

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ............. There was no way she could miss my firearm on my side as I poured my coffee, but I didn't really think about it as I sat down.
    The lady sitting across me says, "Excuse me sir. I hope you don't me asking,"
    "Yes?" I say looking at her. Pretty sure I know what's coming......................

Did she give you a grin and a wink since you were carrying your johnson on your hip? :dunno:

:D

Top Bottom