• ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    NOT a hoped up on meth head .
    He hunts , fishes and is a self employed FAMILY Man . Probably had more time in the Woods by age 12 than most 50 year olds .Forgot the Father involved in this cuts timber for a living also . So he just might know a tad bit about things in the woods

I was making a joke referring to the thing that attacked the cat, not the person who owns the property

DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    Down here in the southern hills and woods we have Bobcats they are rare to witness or encounter. Since I was 8 years old in 1979 I have personally witnessed four in Perry County. Cats are shy and do not typically do not want to encounter humans when in remote areas with low populations and plenty of food. While I was stationed in Louisiana and Oklahoma Bobcats were witnessed often I assume because of the the larger populations.

The “hill people” in this area are still in tune with the woods they have told me of some tracks found in a creek bed around Tobinsport, I believe Indy’s report, I am a avid squirrel hunter to the tune of several times a week and cover a few miles each trip. The areas I hunt are some of the most remote in the state. I go much deeper in the woods than a deer hunter if you killed a deer in the areas I go you would have to quarter it and pack it out.

That being said I will set out some cameras out this fall like I did last year with good luck we might get a picture?

Im not real far from you im in washington county, we have alot of bobcats too. While they are rarely seen (ive seen about 8 or 9 myself) they pop up on trail cameras all the time. Some are pretty decent size.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Because this area is not in their natural habitat, same as mountain lions. I hear alot that people say big cats are rarely seen, so they dodge trail cameras too? Sorry until i see valid proof they are around i just cannot believe they are here.

Mountain%20lion%20Distribution%20map.JPG
    co-dnr-lion1-Medium.jpg

It's not that I don't agree with you...It's that you're historically wrong....This is their historical habitat...Indiana has never been Grizzly bear's habitat but as the map shows it was mountain lions historical range.....

Supposedly the last one killed in Perry County was shot on this rock on my property in the late 1800's.....

D14B3RoX4AAo9vW.jpg

So just out of curiosity what do you think is on this Indiana Trail cam from Indiana DNR???

House cat?

Bobcat?

Dog?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    This is a account of a Black Bear killed in Perry County around 1823

John was described as a “great hunter before the Lord”

One day John Archibald and his wife treed a bear near their log cabin, and the former proceeded to cut down the tree, but in its fall became entangled in the branches and was pinned to the ground with a broken leg. The bear rapidly made off into the forest, followed by the dogs, who had him again treed when Mrs. Archibald arrived on the scene, panting from her swift pursuit of the quarry. With her own trusty rifle she despatched the dangerous animal before missing for the first time her husband. Hastening back she learned only then the cause of his detention, so set to work with axe and handspikes to release him. Then almost carrying him into the house, she set out for a doctor, who dressed the wound and set the broken limb, although its use was never fully recovered, after which she brought home the slain bear.

Note: the bear rendered 30 quarts of fat!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    This is a account of a Black Bear killed in Perry County around 1823

John was described as a “great hunter before the Lord”

One day John Archibald and his wife treed a bear near their log cabin, and the former proceeded to cut down the tree, but in its fall became entangled in the branches and was pinned to the ground with a broken leg. The bear rapidly made off into the forest, followed by the dogs, who had him again treed when Mrs. Archibald arrived on the scene, panting from her swift pursuit of the quarry. With her own trusty rifle she despatched the dangerous animal before missing for the first time her husband. Hastening back she learned only then the cause of his detention, so set to work with axe and handspikes to release him. Then almost carrying him into the house, she set out for a doctor, who dressed the wound and set the broken limb, although its use was never fully recovered, after which she brought home the slain bear.

Note: the bear rendered 30 quarts of fat!

One of our property's is in Bear Hollow....

DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    Mountain%20lion%20Distribution%20map.JPG
    co-dnr-lion1-Medium.jpg

It's not that I don't agree with you...It's that you're historically wrong....This is their historical habitat...Indiana has never been Grizzly bear's habitat but as the map shows it was mountain lions historical range.....

Supposedly the last one killed in Perry County was shot on this rock on my property in the late 1800's.....

D14B3RoX4AAo9vW.jpg

So just out of curiosity what do you think is on this Indiana Trail cam from Indiana DNR???

House cat?

Bobcat?

Dog?

no doubt thats a mountain lion, same if not the same one that was caught on camera in green county??? Bloomfield area i think?? One out of how many years is far from proof they are around, that could have very easily been a released pet or escaped animal. they very well might be around, i just dont buy it. there was a leopard killed in clark county a few years ago, dont mean they are around here. it was a escaped animal. we can discuss it all we want but there is just not any valid proof they are around here other then people claiming they seen one.

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    no doubt thats a mountain lion, same if not the same one that was caught on camera in green county??? Bloomfield area i think?? One out of how many years is far from proof they are around, that could have very easily been a released pet or escaped animal. they very well might be around, i just dont buy it.

Weekly range of a mountain lion is a roughly 70-100 mile route every week...The one my wife saw and I tracked is more than likely the one from Greene County...There were two threads that weekend...(as well as 11 inches of rain) One INGO member spotted it between Perry County and Greene County on Friday...My wife saw it on Sunday morning...I photographed the tracks with a coin and knife for scale....So you have trail cam evidence of the Hoosier mountain lion...You have two eyewitnesses 30 miles apart seeing it the same weekend...We know mountain lions have a route they they take weekly....Here is an Indiana County map showing how close my wife's sighting was in Perry County to another INGOer seeing it in Dubois County and proof from Indiana DNR that the lion was seen in Greene county....

indiana-county-map.gif
    Their ranges can vary in size from 10 square miles to around 370 square miles; females tend to have smaller ranges than males. Young mountain lions have spots, but adults do not! Mountain lions are active hunters and may travel long distances in search of food.

rimg.php
    rimg.php
    rimg.php
    rimg.php

They're here.....Southern Indiana people do not doubt this....We're in the hills and the woods...Not that flat stuff up North....We're not dumb, we're not liars, and we know our woods and our wildlife.......

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They're here.....Southern Indiana people do not doubt this....We're in the hills and the woods...Not that flat stuff up North....We're not dumb, we're not liars, and we know our woods and our wildlife.......

Well ya know, "flatbillies" just doesn't have the same ring to it... :):

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Well ya know, "flatbillies" just doesn't have the same ring to it... :):

"Flatbilly": a hillbilly who was run over while eating possum. I grew up just south of East Fork White River, I get to say that :laugh:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Eating possum is an art.

On a serious note, you can add NE Crawford Co and N Harrison Co to the cougar route tracker.

Sure, you can still deny they are here. The same way you could argue the DNR pic doesn't prove that animal even has 4 legs...

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'd not heard that one before (being from up here in Canada and all)! :laugh:
    Canada are used to be north of Bloomington. The border has moved a little north in recent years. In fact you’re in the US now!

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Awhile back, in a private conversation with a long time employee at Crane about whether or not there were confirmed sightings of Mountain Lions there, I was informed that the notion that there were two was wrong. A hand went up with 3 fingers. Take it from there, any way you want.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    So what does one do when you see a mountain lion?

Same question when you hear and see a rattlesnake.

My wife just watched it....It was in an open field across from our house in the country....She watched it as it came out of the woods following a set of coyote tracks we later found that were probably 5 hours old....We followed it's tracks and it was out of the woods in the field for about 4 or 5 minutes...My daughter yelled out my wife's name and the cat just looked up and took two leaps into the woods...She was sitting on the front porch of the house in the pic and I took this pic from where I found the tracks....

rimg.php
    rimg.php

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Interesting thread. Just so happens I got a call from a good friend this morning regarding mountain lion sighting. He drives truck and was heading to Tell City, westbound on I64. Near the Harrision/Crawford county line prob just a few miles into crawford. He was in hi speed lane and saw something ahead moving and thought it was a deer. He hit the hi beams and lo and behold it was a mountain lion. He estimated it to be pretty healthy, maybe 100-125 pounds with the signature long tail It was within 20-30 feet of the interstate. It was in median between lanes at an are where it was a heavily wooded area maybe 150 feet wide. The time was approx 0530 this morning. This would be few miles east of southern end of hoosier national.

Top Bottom