• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Allowing test rides on your motorcycle you are selling. I have never bought a bike without taking it for a spin. I wouldn't expect anyone to buy my bike without a test ride. My fear is someone dropping it. How would you handle this? Have agreement on price and have money in my hand before test ride with the agreement of if they drop it they bought it and if they ride it and don't like how it feels so the deal is off the money goes back to their hand? I haven't advertised the bike yet. Right now I am trying to sell by word of mouth with friends.
    I think someone that's had their motorcycle endorsement for years should likely have the sense to not crash the bike.

If the buyer isn't a seasoned rider, instruct them to bring someone who is. Make sure that they know you will be asking to see their license.

It'd make sense to clear this up in advance of the meeting and test ride to avoid disappointment and anger. The same with explaining to the buyer that the motorcycle is in good condition and if they break it, they've bought it.

I'd also tell the buyer that the bike isn't plated, and test rides will stay in my view.

I've never bought a bike without a test ride. It would have to be a fantastic deal, if I did.

That said, never say never. I could watch the owner ride up and down the road a few times and decide to buy it for half of blue book...

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    How many folks in cars that you passed have their phone in their hand? How many do you see doing the same, while rolling through intersections? Backing out of parking spots? While lurking in the left lane?
    Lots.

And they stayed in their lane, and I stayed in mine - with a smile on my face because I'm riding a motorcycle. :)

I'm a better driver because I ride; so maybe other drivers should ride more. The best way to get people off their phones in to get them on a bike. :thumbsup:

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Made my first upgrade. Replaced the old fashioned lights with LEDs.
    View attachment 147724
    There is a plug in adapter you can buy which will also allow the passing lamps to stay on when you turn on the high beam on your headlight. I installed that on both the dressers I had. It makes a big difference in being seen from the front.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Baby had an early doctor's appointment so my wife and our foster son were out of the house at 8am. Shortly thereafter I headed out for a fun ride, no destination, just a ride around the block. Or in this case, a big square through parts of 4 counties.

Testing the SPOT X satellite communicator and the iPhone in their new mounts. The iPhone is now slightly to the right of centerline above the instrument cluster, the SPOT X is now slightly to the left of the centerline above the instrument cluster. Pretty happy with the set up, the separate mounts let me orient the SPOT X so the antenna is straight up, which is desirable, while the iPhone, which I use for navigation, is at a slight angle so I can best see the screen. Being on individual mounts they are also far more stable. I had both mounted side by side on a single mount and was unhappy with that set up.

I also ordered a tourist guide to Nova Scotia. Yes the Canadian border is still closed to tourists. But it seems like there is a possibility that it could be open by late August/early September and that is a likely time to arrive there. So optimism and an outlay of $20 including shipping for the guidebook.

Downloaded the off-line maps from SCENIC for Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island regions of Canada as well as Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut and Massachusetts. I already own the maps up to New York and across central Canada so depending upon if the border opens up we have lots of route options, including a scenic ride around New England if the border remains closed.

SCENIC has turn-by-turn navigation on my iPhone but does not require a cellular connection. I used it around all 5 Great Lakes and it was flawless. The downloadable maps cost money, but they are cheap and up to date and the fact that they work offline makes them priceless. Can even use them for off-road navigation too.

FWIW, below is my morning ride. The SPOT X drops an electronic pin on a map every 10 minutes, which allows you to cover a lot of ground on a motorcycle between those pin drops. I'm using the cheapest service plan they offer and am considering going up to the $19.95/month plan because that will leave a breadcrumb trail every 5 minutes instead of 10 minutes. I did augment my locations by hitting the "Check in" button periodically (usually if I hit a stop light) which gives me unlimited additional pin drops on the map but that is somewhat cumbersome with motorcycle gloves on. I'm not convinced I need 5 minute pin drops, but I'm considering it.

I'd like to set up an old iPad in the kitchen to track our trip route so my daughter can just leave it on and see the progress of our trip, and for a little peace of mind for her too. On the SPOT mapping you can zoom in on each of those pin drops to see the exact location, overlay a satellite image, etc. This is just a simple screen capture so it doesn't allow any of those functions. Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 2.56.47 PM.png

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have heard friends say they will let the person take a test ride as a pilot, but only if they got the money on hand the owner holds it "just in case". Otherwise, no ride.
    I like this idea also. Mutual agreement, done in advance.

I'll also point out that buying and selling through the INGO classifieds certainly takes some pressure off of both parties in the deal. A little more friendship, accountability and followup opportunities here. I bought my current bike from an INGOer 18,000 miles ago.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I also ordered a tourist guide to Nova Scotia. Yes the Canadian border is still closed to tourists. But it seems like there is a possibility that it could be open by late August/early September and that is a likely time to arrive there. So optimism and an outlay of $20 including shipping for the guidebook.
    What if a person or persons on Adv bikes were to "accidently" cross the border on a secluded dirt road. Would that be bad? :scratch:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    No pistols allowed in Canada, right? What would happen if you screwed up and crossed that line accidentally?
    I got grilled about guns far more than anything else when crossing into Canada on my last bike trip north of the border. Literally 70% of the questions they were asking me were about guns. 20% about alcohol. 10% about travel plans, weather, and miscellany.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I got grilled about guns far more than anything else when crossing into Canada on my last bike trip north of the border. Literally 70% of the questions they were asking me were about guns. 20% about alcohol. 10% about travel plans, weather, and miscellany.
    I wonder if liberal Canada is like some of our USA big liberal cities? Possession of firearms by those who shouldn't have them is a slap on the wrist?

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Reminder: HPI Bike Night is tomorrow night (Thursday, July 15). It doesn’t matter if you ride or not; if you like motorcycles and live or like the biker lifestyle )any biker lifestyle) this is the place for you. Food trucks, concessions, swag, and yes, free beer. What’s not to love? Hope to see you there! I will be the guy with the black and gold Africa Twin and it looks like the weathers going to be great.

Here’s a link for Facebook people:

Top Bottom