• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    You are correct melens, NOT a zip-in liner. It is a liner like for my Tourmaster that has some snap loops that probably hold it in the sleeves, at the neck and at the waist. Haven't seen it yet except in the pictures.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    You are correct melens, NOT a zip-in liner. It is a liner like for my Tourmaster that has some snap loops that probably hold it in the sleeves, at the neck and at the waist. Haven't seen it yet except in the pictures.
    I suspect the liner is for a different FirstGear jacket? There are zero points of attachment in the Kilimanjaro. If they are tossing in a liner, if the shell is not damaged, and the price is good, I'd happily buy it! the jacket is seriously well made and thoughtfully designed.

FWIW, my wife has a FirstGear Monarch shell, a FirstGear Countour Air. I also have a FirstGear RushAir (which we use for passengers and visitors). Both of the "Air" jackets came with liners.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Rode 88 miles today with my wife. That is her with her bike. We did a loop out to the Chesterton area and then back to home, near the IL state line a couple miles north of the Kankakee river.

Rode north through Gary, IN up Taft to Ridge Road then east through the city and it was bizarre to see it again, hadn't been through there in many years. Used to be a beautiful city but now many of the grand homes are in shambles. Businesses that were thriving are boarded up and overgrown with weeds, trees and shrubbery. I'm near retirement age so I remember it when it was a viable city. It was just starting its decline in the 1960s but it still had good restaurants, viable businesses, and lovely properties.

Came home a much more rural route, far more beautiful route too!

tempImage2Y59C3.jpg

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Just bought my first bike...Goldwing trike, rode for about 3 hours today.....really need to work on smooth shifting.....
    Wind her up to 2500-3000 rpm and make the shifts. This will smooth them out, Wings like a little rpm when shifting, too low and you get clunks and missed shifts. Don't manhandle the shifter, but do be firm.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Just bought my first bike...Goldwing trike, rode for about 3 hours today.....really need to work on smooth shifting.....
    All the magic is in the control of the clutch lever while working the throttle. You need to learn to feather it in the friction zone. Unlike a manual transmission car, motorcycle clutches are designed to be partially engaged so get used to slowly engaging/disengaging and working with it partially engaged.

or switch to a Honda DCT (dual clutch transmission)

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Of the eight or 10 bikes that I've had, I never could quite figure out shifting the one and only goldwing I had. I could shift 1st through 3rd at very low RPMs and the higher gears seem to like higher RPMs. I didn't have this issue with an older nighthawk 650 from about 12 years ago. I will say the engine sure seemed like a freight train and would not bog down no matter what. I assumed that was because of it's 6 cylinders.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Hey. Over on the current wasp thread I posted something that might belong here as well.
    In my MC first aid kit is some ammonia inhalant popper:

"At home, it's no problem to go inside and get out the bottle of ammonia. For my motorcycle first aid kit, I did not like the idea of a small bottle of ammonia leaking or breaking. i settled on packing two or three ammonia inhalants. The ones they wave under your nose to bring someone out of a fainting spell. You really have to squeeze them to make them "pop." They contain just about the right amount to soak the outside gauze and then apply to the sting."

It is not fun getting stung out on the highway and no stores around that sell ammonia.
    DO NOT USE AMMONIA NEAR YOUR EYES!!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    On a more serious note, I have a SIZE L, men's high viz FirstGear jacket that I want to sell. It is the RUSH AIR model. Originally came with CE Level 1 shoulder and elbow protection but no back armor. I upgraded it with CE Level 1 Alpinestars breathable back armor. This jacket flows a ton of air.

Rrice was $45 for the Alpinestars Nucleon KR-CELLi back protector alone. The jacket was purchased at a discount, got that for $125.

I'll ship the jacket with the back armor included for $100 to anyone from INGO.

Jacket is unstained, undamaged, barely used condition. I ended up switching to a KLIM mesh jacket, we used this one for passengers who wanted to ride on a motorcycle so it is barely used after I used it for about 1/2 of last year's season. It has been hanging in the closet all this year unused.

tempImagemMq7ZH.jpg tempImagesekpXS.jpg Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 11.15.41 AM.png tempImageWXLBpo.jpg tempImageyMDdrx.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Guy is talking carrying while riding on his radio show...

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I suspect the liner is for a different FirstGear jacket? There are zero points of attachment in the Kilimanjaro. If they are tossing in a liner, if the shell is not damaged, and the price is good, I'd happily buy it! the jacket is seriously well made and thoughtfully designed.

FWIW, my wife has a FirstGear Monarch shell, a FirstGear Countour Air. I also have a FirstGear RushAir (which we use for passengers and visitors). Both of the "Air" jackets came with liners.
    I ended up buying the one I found on Thursday night. The liner does zip in "as well as "snap loops for the neck and sleeves. Waterproof and thermal. Since I was looking at it as a fall/late fall jacket, that's a good thing.

The picture in the add looked a little different so I don't know if he got equipment mixed up when putting the add together. If the jacket tag is correct it was from 2003. It does say Kilimanjaro and First Gear.

Dang Melens, the one you just put up looks nice!! I hope that Ingo is okay with it on this thread (or also in non-firearm related classies area.) I already got mine so......I'm out unfortunately.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I am a huge fan of the FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket. I own one. I've owned mine since 2018, paid $225 new from Thompson's in Terre Haute. Mine is the white body version, which was discontinued so they were closing it out. It is rainproof and windproof, and supposedly breathable like gore-tex but not actually gore-tex. I layer underneath mine. Venting is pretty good: at the cuffs, shoulders and back. Could be a bit better, but I really think it is a well made and functional jacket.

But what is odd is that you mention a zip in liner? Unless they changed the design after I bought mine, there is no zip in liner. It is just a shell. No internal zipper to add a liner.

View attachment 154515

View attachment 154517 View attachment 154518 View attachment 154519 View attachment 154520
    I have an older one for really cold weather riding. Pretty comfortable with a layer or two down 25 degrees it was only for short distances of 12 miles to work. I also rode with a pair of ice fishing neoprene gloves .. thin and warm!

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I finally got the center stand installed (used a ratchet strap attached to my van’s trailer hitch to pull the springs).

The S100 came in too so I also gave her a quick wash job. I feel better now!

Attachments

• 774966A6-A9D5-4F7A-894E-72F050305A08.jpeg
      774966A6-A9D5-4F7A-894E-72F050305A08.jpeg
      4.4 MB · Views: 7

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Anyone here have a Honda CB500x for Model year 2013 and similar using that same frame.

I can make you a heck of a great deal on a factory new/unused/still in the packaging GIVI brand luggage rack for side cases. Rack works with GIVI and KAPPA luggage, adaptable for several other brands like Tusk.

GIVI Part # PL1121CAM

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I ended up buying the one I found on Thursday night. The liner does zip in "as well as "snap loops for the neck and sleeves. Waterproof and thermal. Since I was looking at it as a fall/late fall jacket, that's a good thing.

The picture in the add looked a little different so I don't know if he got equipment mixed up when putting the add together. If the jacket tag is correct it was from 2003. It does say Kilimanjaro and First Gear.

Dang Melens, the one you just put up looks nice!! I hope that Ingo is okay with it on this thread (or also in non-firearm related classies area.) I already got mine so......I'm out unfortunately.
    Kilimanjaro is a nicer jacket.

This one is only good for HOT-HUMID weather. It is mesh outside and inside. So dog-days of summer only. I'm only selling it because between my wife and I we have 3 other mesh jackets in addition to this one.

The Kilimanjaro is great for everything but the seriously hot conditions. I don't know the 2003 model year jacket.

My Kilimanjaro is the current version, but the color that they discontinued. It is a fantastic motorcycle jacket, as well designed as my ultra-premium KLIM and REV'IT gear but it doesn't use the name brand Gore-Tex material, it uses a different brand. Honestly the current FirstGear stuff is very well designed gear, it is a bit lighter weight than the ultra-premium gear, but it is also 1/2 the price. It is a great value. It is high quality at a modest price.

I'm betting you got a great jacket.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Kilimanjaro is a nicer jacket.

This one is only good for HOT-HUMID weather. It is mesh outside and inside. So dog-days of summer only. I'm only selling it because between my wife and I we have 3 other mesh jackets in addition to this one.

The Kilimanjaro is great for everything but the seriously hot conditions. I don't know the 2003 model year jacket.

My Kilimanjaro is the current version, but the color that they discontinued. It is a fantastic motorcycle jacket, as well designed as my ultra-premium KLIM and REV'IT gear but it doesn't use the name brand Gore-Tex material, it uses a different brand. Honestly the current FirstGear stuff is very well designed gear, it is a bit lighter weight than the ultra-premium gear, but it is also 1/2 the price. It is a great value. It is high quality at a modest price.

I'm betting you got a great jacket.
    Me too.. I also have a first gear jacket for summer riding- did 100 miles the other day in 90+ degree weather. Plenty of ventilation when you’re moving and was comfortable... got stuck in Fort Wayne traffic, stopped for several minutes and that was awful!

Top Bottom