• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thinking about buying a utility trailer and adding some wheel chocks and tie downs for my bike.

The bed on my Taco is too short so the rear wheel would have to rest on the tailgate, which isn't optimal, getting it up the ramp is also a chore.

I considered one of those hitch mounts that has the bike hanging off the back of the vehicle like a dead deer, but the reviews on anything that would save me money over a utility trailer vary on any particular model from: "This thing is built like a rock, I'm gonna buy 62 more of them!!1!" to "What a cheap piece of crap, it's tac welded together and the screw holes don't line up. Also it ate ⅔ of my children"
    I have one of the hitch mounts. It's really not optimal, and not a one-man job to put on or take off of the rack. Also, the bike just barely fit in the tire track and was at the top of the recommended max rated weight. Bluntly, quite a PIA to load and unload.

It worked to haul my Kawasaki 650 the 60 miles home, but it was a bit of a scary ride. All that weight on the extreme rear of the vehicle (Explorer in my case,) made for a lot of bike trying to flop around. I had to tighten and move straps a couple of times. Make sure you are well insured.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Did you do this yourself?
    Yes, it is a work in process.

I just reassembled and installed it on my bike to test it out. I didn't ride, but did sit on it for a couple minutes. I don't think I shaved enough of the foam wing, but I'll be going out to test ride it to see.

It is just a matter of pulling the staples, using a razor knife to shape the seat, then stapling back the seat cover. Ultimately I will need to totally recover the seat as the R.D.L. seat cover is sewn into shape, rather than stretched, over the foam. So for now it looks a bit "baggy" because the material cannot be fully pulled into shape, but I figure it will take a few attempts at shaping the foam before I spend money on a new cover material.

Front of the seat is the top of the photo. You can see the support wings that your thighs rest on. On the right side you see it is less prominent, that is because I shaved back the foam under it. When I recover it it will not have the 'corner' as that is just the material shape.
    Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 7.15.37 AM.png

Here you can see I cut back the foam, all the way down to the metal support.
    Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 7.15.51 AM.png

I reshaped the block of foam that I cut off in the above photo and then taped it into place. As noted I am not sure I tapered it enough. But an afternoon test will give me the answer.
    Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 7.16.02 AM.png

I reshaped both sides, being somewhat conservative in my shaving of material. It is would likely be easier to take it off a little at a time than to try to rebuild it and keep it comfortable if there are thin layers added back into the cushion.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I just bought a 5x8 mesh bottom utility trailer from Tractor Supply lol, I figure I can use it for other things too. Before I put the bike on it I'm thinking put down some plywood and bolt on wheel chock and some d rings

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Yes, it is a work in process.

I just reassembled and installed it on my bike to test it out. I didn't ride, but did sit on it for a couple minutes. I don't think I shaved enough of the foam wing, but I'll be going out to test ride it to see.

It is just a matter of pulling the staples, using a razor knife to shape the seat, then stapling back the seat cover. Ultimately I will need to totally recover the seat as the R.D.L. seat cover is sewn into shape, rather than stretched, over the foam. So for now it looks a bit "baggy" because the material cannot be fully pulled into shape, but I figure it will take a few attempts at shaping the foam before I spend money on a new cover material.

Front of the seat is the top of the photo. You can see the support wings that your thighs rest on. On the right side you see it is less prominent, that is because I shaved back the foam under it. When I recover it it will not have the 'corner' as that is just the material shape.
    View attachment 153854

Here you can see I cut back the foam, all the way down to the metal support.
    View attachment 153855

I reshaped the block of foam that I cut off in the above photo and then taped it into place. As noted I am not sure I tapered it enough. But an afternoon test will give me the answer.
    View attachment 153856

I reshaped both sides, being somewhat conservative in my shaving of material. It is would likely be easier to take it off a little at a time than to try to rebuild it and keep it comfortable if there are thin layers added back into the cushion.
    If you haven't thought about it, cutting soft foam with an electric kitchen knife works pretty well.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Back to the motorcycle trailer conversation, I stopped over in gosport at z pro trailers and checked out their lifting trailer. Pretty cool stuff.
    Here is a video of their single bike trailer.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    If you haven't thought about it, cutting soft foam with an electric kitchen knife works pretty well.
    I don't have those fancy kitchen knives.

The Russell's DayLong saddles are made with different densities of foam in different areas and multi layers. Stripping off the upholstery and its actually pretty amazing how they engineered the seat.

I'm using a carpet knife and a box cutter blade. It's working well enough.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    A lot of overseas riders with the CB650r seem to have a multitude of options for aftermarket seat but I'd have to have it done custom over here. Considering just eating the shipping cost though.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    A lot of overseas riders with the CB650r seem to have a multitude of options for aftermarket seat but I'd have to have it done custom over here. Considering just eating the shipping cost though.
    Check with the following, and go to the manufacturer's website, not to a reseller like Revzilla.
    • Corbin - I had one of these on my bike, much nicer than stock Honda, put thousands of miles on it, currently on my wife's bike
    • Laam - I wish I had one of these
    • Russell's Day Long - wow its comfortable, expensive, not for everyone, I have it on my bike now.
    • Sargent - somewhat cheaper than the others, never tried one
    • Saddleman - I don't know anyone with this seat
    • Shad - lots of fans, I'm not one of them, maybe my butt is different?

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I checked a few of thosr already, the sites looks familiar and the links are still purple when I Google them. Honda changed some things on the 2021 model like the seat and rear fender, but then things like exhausts and belly pan from previous years are the same. It doesn't seem to be quite as popular here as it is in overseas markets.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I checked a few of thosr already, the sites looks familiar and the links are still purple when I Google them. Honda changed some things on the 2021 model like the seat and rear fender, but then things like exhausts and belly pan from previous years are the same. It doesn't seem to be quite as popular here as it is in overseas markets.
    You may be able to, after the cold weather sets in, to send you factory seat off to Corbin, Laam, etc and have them simply rebuild it on the factory seat pan.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Changing the subject back to riding wear. What are thoughts on a used jacket?
    It is 3+ years old and in good shape according to the owner. I have not seen it yet. It is an older First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket with a zip in liner included.
    Yes, No? What would you look for? What price would be to much/too low?

I am only looking at it because it may be a little warmer this fall than my Tourmaster air equipment when wearing it's liners.

Thanks!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Changing the subject back to riding wear. What are thoughts on a used jacket?
    It is 3+ years old and in good shape according to the owner. I have not seen it yet. It is an older First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket with a zip in liner included.
    Yes, No? What would you look for? What price would be to much/too low?

I am only looking at it because it may be a little warmer this fall than my Tourmaster air equipment when wearing it's liners.

Thanks!
    I am a huge fan of the FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket. I own one. I've owned mine since 2018, paid $225 new from Thompson's in Terre Haute. Mine is the white body version, which was discontinued so they were closing it out. It is rainproof and windproof, and supposedly breathable like gore-tex but not actually gore-tex. I layer underneath mine. Venting is pretty good: at the cuffs, shoulders and back. Could be a bit better, but I really think it is a well made and functional jacket.

But what is odd is that you mention a zip in liner? Unless they changed the design after I bought mine, there is no zip in liner. It is just a shell. No internal zipper to add a liner.

tempImagejxVUlE.jpg

tempImagekN19Zz.jpg tempImageAQBuaS.jpg tempImageIxwJQz.jpg tempImage9Lkr7S.jpg

Top Bottom