• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark all dates you would be available for a meetup at the Storage Center.

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Muddy Fork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    ArmedProgrammer,
    I'm in southcentral Indiana, Thanks for the offer, but a few things have come up now and I've gotten really busy. I'm going to have to get back with you later and see if you offer is still good.
    Thanks.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    ArmedProgrammer,
    I'm in southcentral Indiana, Thanks for the offer, but a few things have come up now and I've gotten really busy. I'm going to have to get back with you later and see if you offer is still good.
    Thanks.

I'm in Salem, so you're not TOO far from me - and the offer is always good. Just PM me and I'll try to set something up.

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    tagged for interest, I would prfer to peuse the first time and go with a hard fast list later.

Same here would be interested in checking it out first as I have never been nor known anyone close to me that has been.

I have heard great things so I wouldn't mind spending a little $$ the first time if it is needed.

Keep us posted as I know there is interest.

Cheers

IndyPrepper

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    3) For those of you that think you are going "shopping" there when the SHTF.... a) the Mormon church takes almost NO political stances... so there's nothing official b) that said, many of us REALLY like the 2nd Amendment c) There's more than a few of us on INGO - so please think twice...:bat: :D

The great John Moses Browning was a Mormon. I would not advise trying to plunder his people.

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    When I asked a person I worked with about this (he is a mormon) he told me that since they do this storage, they can't make money on the business. So they can't discourage anyone should they not be a mormon.
    So they are supposed to allow anyone to go so but they want to keep quiet about it.
    I was told that you could bring stuff with you, (dry goods) so I asked about coffee. He said they do not allow that since they frown on that. So that have other stuff for canning.
    Thanks for the address and phone number.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    When I asked a person I worked with about this (he is a mormon) he told me that since they do this storage, they can't make money on the business. So they can't discourage anyone should they not be a mormon.
    So they are supposed to allow anyone to go so but they want to keep quiet about it.
    I was told that you could bring stuff with you, (dry goods) so I asked about coffee. He said they do not allow that since they frown on that. So that have other stuff for canning.
    Thanks for the address and phone number.

I'm not a Mormon and when I just showed up last week, they were very cool about everything. The only time it came up was on my order form that you present at check-out, she said, "Are you a member?" I understood this to mean if I was Mormon. I said no and she said simply, "Just don't fill out that space about which church you go to." (It actually wasn't 'church' but I can't recall the word, I think it was 'stake' or something like that???). But that's the extent of anyone asking who I was and there was no proselytizing on my part or theirs:):

I also have a friend out West who brings his own bulk food and cans it at the center out there so I know at least some centers allow it.

I will ask on Tuesday and let everyone here know, I'm going back to get some more.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Great info Hemingway. And yep - a "stake" in Mormon lingo would be the rough equivalent of a "diocese" in Catholic lingo. Basically a geographic distinction.

Also the idea of the place is to run not for profit, but to encourage the activity.

As for canning - some of the local Mormon groups have purchased canning machines amongst a group of families and will buy the bluk food, cans etc. Then they will bring it to one of their houses and can up a bunch. Lots of ways to skin that particular cat.

One last note - in GENERAL the bulk prices there are pretty good. THAT SAID - some times Wally World can do better on certain items. When that happens use the best prices you can get!

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I think it is very open minded to allow others who are not mormons to use the cannery. Also, I do understand that it could lead to more people joining just like a teen rally at a christian church but regardless it is very kind of them and a great motivator for people to get prepared.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Good point Irishfan. There's also a less obvious reasoning for it. The more people that are prepared, the better off the whole community is. The less crime, etc , if there's a community wide problem, so it's good and smart all around. All that adding more people to the buying pool does is bump up the quantity of goods needed. It's not for profit - so it only adds to the buying power and that surely offsets any increase in infrastructure cost that may occur.

Another thing that people may not know - the church maintains facilities in many farming areas to can and produce locally available supplies. When I lived near Sacramento we did this once a year. The Sacramento region produces much of the tomatoes (and tomato products) for the nation. Each year, during tomato season, each local church would get an assignment to have X number of adults to the cannery for a shift. All volunteer labor (although there were a couple of pros there to make sure that things were done right, etc). They ran shifts around the clock during the season. 10 or 20 of us would get together for a late night 4-6 hour shift and then grab a shower at home and go to work. Tomato gets EVERYWHERE. It was a lot of fun (but tiring), and that factory canned enough tomatoes to take care of the needs of folks who were having trouble anywhere in the church. Other areas had similar facilities for other stuff.

In a similar vein, the church is big on genealogical research. This is for theological reasons. That said, the genealogical libraries and databases are open to EVERYONE. Why? Because the shared research helps EVERYONE move forward. Have people joined the church due to their interest in genealogy - and then one thing leads to another?? SURE! But MANY more use the facilities and work side by side and share the results of their research. That helps EVERYONE regardless of their reasoning.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I think it is very open minded to allow others who are not mormons to use the cannery. Also, I do understand that it could lead to more people joining just like a teen rally at a christian church but regardless it is very kind of them and a great motivator for people to get prepared.

The LDS church is pretty open minded about alot of stuff. There is a lot of mis-information, stereotypes, etc. about the church.

They are not a cult, and wouldn't want somebody as a member who does not want to be there, and missionaries aren't out to "brainwash" or recruit, they are just trying to make sure people understand it better (i.e. nobody has 10 wives) . It's up to you to decide.

Top Bottom