• ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    your right, it sounds more like a consensual contact
    Why don't you just come out and state what you are trying to get at instead of badgering the OP every time he posts something? :dunno:

LiberalOCarrier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Personally, I will never openly carry my firearm in public. You are really asking for trouble. I do know that people get "freaked out" when someone carries openly in a public place, but most people will never confront the person carrying. There are too many crazy people out there and people will usually just try to create some distance and question why someone would do that. I think people generally question the carriers ego at that point.

Please do our mothers and sisters a huge favor and NOT carry openly in public. It scares the hell out of them!

As far as law enforcement goes, they have the right to contest people who are carrying to ensure that they have their carry permits. In this situation, I'm sure that the incident wouldn't have lasted that long, but the poster pushed the issue and tried to correct the officer...

A little advice for future contacts is to let the officer think that he's right and move on. You're only inviting unnecessary trouble by pushing the issue and that's when they start probing for anything wrong.

What's the purpose of open carry anyway? To intimidate or scare people? Sorry, but I just don't get it. We're all big boys here and we shouldn't have to show our guns in public to let people know that we are constitutionally allowed to carry these weapons.

Anyone who openly carries will probably get attention...but probably not the kind that they want. NEVER draw attention to yourself. You're asking for trouble.

I've been in LE for 15 years and not once have I approached someone for OC. Its their right to do so and I support it 100%. The problem is we have over zealous LEO's who think that they are above the law and want to apply their own beliefs to daily duties. "Asking for trouble" LEO's are asking to get sued.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I've been in LE for 15 years and not once have I approached someone for OC. Its their right to do so and I support it 100%. The problem is we have over zealous LEO's who think that they are above the law and want to apply their own beliefs to daily duties. "Asking for trouble" LEO's are asking to get sued.

^This right here^

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington

Thank you, I was hoping to hear from a LEO that understands and agrees with the Law!
    :patriot::patriot:

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010

We could use a couple million more LEO's like you.:yesway:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I hope you call 'em out when you see or hear about them pulling antics like in the OP.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I'm assuming you come from a small agency or you mean "haven't approached" on your own volition. I don't like OC'ing, but I 100% respect a person's right to do so. I too have never approached anyone OC'ing on my own volition. However, I have been dispatched to MWAG calls, and am bound to check up on it. I will approach the persons, and right up front, I'll say "sorry, but..." and ask for their LTCH and bother that person no longer. Trust me, I am honestly embarrassed to have to approach someone who in my view has done nothing wrong, but that not how PD's work.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm assuming you come from a small agency or you mean "haven't approached" on your own volition. I don't like OC'ing, but I 100% respect a person's right to do so. I too have never approached anyone OC'ing on my own volition. However, I have been dispatched to MWAG calls, and am bound to check up on it. I will approach the persons, and right up front, I'll say "sorry, but..." and ask for their LTCH and bother that person no longer. Trust me, I am honestly embarrassed to have to approach someone who in my view has done nothing wrong, but that not how PD's work.

Just curious...how many of these calls do you suspect are people actually, really afraid something's about to go down and how many are ***holes just causing grief for the guy/gal carrying a firearm? Knowing how liberals think, I'd imagine there are a fair number out there that do it out of reflex to cause trouble. But maybe not as many as I'd imagine.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Knowing how liberals think

^^^ And these same people think that the #1 job of a LEO is to protect their individual safety?

We all KNOW that this is NOT true..Bill

LiberalOCarrier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    I hope you call 'em out when you see or hear about them pulling antics like in the OP.

I do everytime a get a chance. I work in Internal Affairs and lets just say that most are not fond of what I do, but oh well. If they didn't break the law themselves I wouldn't be in IA. The most disturbing thing is most LEO's have been trained on how to handle OC situations. Its really not that difficult.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Japart, what did they say when you dropped off the complaint? How soon did they say they would check it out and get back with you? "I gots to know."

Nothing much, just thank you, and the chief deputy will be in contact. It was one of the admin ladies in the front office.

I don't anticipate hearing anything in the next couple of weeks, figure I will end up having to call and inquire on status.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I do everytime a get a chance. I work in Internal Affairs and lets just say that most are not fond of what I do, but oh well. If they didn't break the law themselves I wouldn't be in IA. The most disturbing thing is most LEO's have been trained on how to handle OC situations. Its really not that difficult.

I am beginning to like you sir! Oh, and :welcome: to :ingo:

I wish all LEO were like you and Kutnupe14

LiberalOCarrier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012

If you consider Atlanta PD a small agency then so be it. Personally, I've always just observed from a distance once I received the call since OC is legal with a permit. So, any MWAG call you approach the individual. How about a guy at the grocery store with his family pushing a baby stroller? Do you pick and choose who you approach because the OP out with his family is obviously not a threat. Why waste their time when you should be educating the person who made the call. You may be different, but I know most LEO's are on fishing expeditions.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian

This type of encounter i have no problem with. I dont mind showing my LTCH and that being the end of the conversation. When a LEO approaches and the first words out of their mouth are "you cant OC" that is just stupid. Indiana became a state on December 11, 1816, and from what i have read, seen and heard it has never been against the law to OC. So there really is no excuse for this idiotic statement.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Just curious...how many of these calls do you suspect are people actually, really afraid something's about to go down and how many are ***holes just causing grief for the guy/gal carrying a firearm? Knowing how liberals think, I'd imagine there are a fair number out there that do it out of reflex to cause trouble. But maybe not as many as I'd imagine.

I don't know if "afraid" is the word I'd use. I think most are simply ignorant of the law. I've met more than one person that believes carrying a firearm OC or CC is illegal. The typical culprits are the elderly and women "of a certain age," ie busy bodies. And most of these people would scoff at being called "liberal."

Top Bottom