• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Milsurps are really the only guns I have save for 3 modern 22's. My thought process is all of the modern guns will be around just like the milsurps were years ago so why not get the older one's while they're still "affordable". First milsurp was a 91/30 that my girlfriend bought me for Christmas and since then I've been on a collecting warpath. 3 Mosins (2 Russian, 1 Finn) 3 Mausers (1 Czech, 1 Turk, 1 Spanish), Type 14 Nambu and a Type 99 Arisaka, Eddystone 1917, Riot Winchester 1897, Czech CZ 52 and 82, Chinese SKS, French Berthier, Swiss Vetterli 69/71, and the most recent acquisition, a sportered Stomperud Norwegian Krag. There are plenty more on the wishlist, one being a Garand which will hopefully happen this year. The history of these guns is such a rabbit hole which kind of led to the variety in my collection (plus prices I couldn't beat lol)

That's quite a diverse collection. Two questions though: do you have ammo for all of them, and have you shot them all yet to make sure they function? I hate owning a firearm that I don't have at least 100 - 200 rounds of ammo for, and I try to fire everything shortly after I get it. Those requirements have helped slow my desire to buy 1 of everything, simply because the cost of most milsurp caliber ammo is typically cost prohibitive to acquire in bulk.

ben142266

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2023
    Aurora
    That's quite a diverse collection. Two questions though: do you have ammo for all of them, and have you shot them all yet to make sure they function? I hate owning a firearm that I don't have at least 100 - 200 rounds of ammo for, and I try to fire everything shortly after I get it. Those requirements have helped slow my desire to buy 1 of everything, simply because the cost of most milsurp caliber ammo is typically cost prohibitive to acquire in bulk.
    Thanks, and I have ammo for all but the Berthier (need to get some enbloc clips first) and the Vetterli since 10.4 Swiss hasn't been commercially made since the 50's-60's. 500 rounds of 8mm was bought when I got the Turk Mauser and just the other day I was able to get a spam can of 7.62x54R for the Mosins. The guns that I haven't shot yet I would still be comfortable shooting as they are in great condition still. Most of the time when I find a gun to buy, it generally has some ammo with it so that helps me be able to at least function test it shortly after buying like you said. I plan on doing a bulk ammo buy once the local auctions slow down.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks, and I have ammo for all but the Berthier (need to get some enbloc clips first) and the Vetterli since 10.4 Swiss hasn't been commercially made since the 50's-60's. 500 rounds of 8mm was bought when I got the Turk Mauser and just the other day I was able to get a spam can of 7.62x54R for the Mosins. The guns that I haven't shot yet I would still be comfortable shooting as they are in great condition still. Most of the time when I find a gun to buy, it generally has some ammo with it so that helps me be able to at least function test it shortly after buying like you said. I plan on doing a bulk ammo buy once the local auctions slow down.
    FWIW, you can find the Berthier en bloc clips on ebay. Both 3 and 5 round.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I miss surplusrifle.com. I spent way too much time on that now defunct board. So much so that I put on a Mil-Surp rifle class for Revere's Riders. Attendees got to hear stories about the rifles (~15 different guns) AND got to shoot them. If ammo cost & avail come back, maybe we'll do another one of those classes.

This site is trying to emulate the feel of the old site but I haven't been on there for a while. I don't even think my account works there anymore. :(

ben142266

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2023
    Aurora
    Milsurps are really the only guns I have save for 3 modern 22's. My thought process is all of the modern guns will be around just like the milsurps were years ago so why not get the older one's while they're still "affordable". First milsurp was a 91/30 that my girlfriend bought me for Christmas and since then I've been on a collecting warpath. 3 Mosins (2 Russian, 1 Finn) 3 Mausers (1 Czech, 1 Turk, 1 Spanish), Type 14 Nambu and a Type 99 Arisaka, Eddystone 1917, Riot Winchester 1897, Czech CZ 52 and 82, Chinese SKS, French Berthier, Swiss Vetterli 69/71, and the most recent acquisition, a sportered Stomperud Norwegian Krag. There are plenty more on the wishlist, one being a Garand which will hopefully happen this year. The history of these guns is such a rabbit hole which kind of led to the variety in my collection (plus prices I couldn't beat lol)
    Some pictures now that I am on my other computer. Forgot about the Steyr M.95, made by Steyr and then used by Poland

Attachments

• 20230109_125719.jpg
      20230109_125719.jpg
      512.2 KB · Views: 6
    • 20230123_191935.jpg
      20230123_191935.jpg
      192.9 KB · Views: 5
    • 20230201_100140.jpg
      20230201_100140.jpg
      442.8 KB · Views: 7
    • 20230228_130123.jpg
      20230228_130123.jpg
      453.2 KB · Views: 7
    • 20230228_130030.jpg
      20230228_130030.jpg
      312.4 KB · Views: 7

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    You can convert the Vetterli's to centerfire and if you reload, the brass can be formed easily from 8mm Lebel. I'm not sure if the guy is till around or not but there was someone on one of the milsurp forums that would convert the bolts for a small fee and also sold formed brass.

ben142266

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2023
    Aurora
    You can convert the Vetterli's to centerfire and if you reload, the brass can be formed easily from 8mm Lebel. I'm not sure if the guy is till around or not but there was someone on one of the milsurp forums that would convert the bolts for a small fee and also sold formed brass.
    Yeah its on the to do list, there is a guy who started an ammo company specifically for milsurps that has talked about making 10.4 so I am waiting to see if that happens. For anyone curious, Casto's Curios is the company.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I am making an ammo locker and have relocated most of my ammo ready to start sorting. I found the receipt for the last 7.62X54R ammo I bought, the 440 round spam can cost $44. That might give you an idea how long ago it was...

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    ....my latest addition.....a 1905 S&W in .38 spl. A buddy and I shoot a bit of Milsurp at both our local NCOWS group and the GAF (Grand Army of the Frontier) offshoot which has two categories 1866-1899 and the Expansion Era 1900-1916.....ended up with this one after my buddy stumbled across a Schofield in .38 spl.....it is a suitable replacement for a 1901 Colt that has proven to be a less than desirable match pistol due to internal failures, lol....thing is, with some of these 100-150 year old weapons....you not only get the thrill of shooting a piece of history, you also get to experience the failures and headaches our ancestors that carried these weapons were faced with! I haven't given up on the 1901 Colt, one of the club members that has resurrected a few of these antiques is taking a stab at attempting to bring it back into service.

Attachments

• IMG_20230520_085544.jpg
      IMG_20230520_085544.jpg
      386.8 KB · Views: 3

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Man, the milsurp game sure is frustrating sometimes. Twice in the last two days I thought I might have a shot at finally getting a decently priced Russian SKS from local sellers. One turned out to be Chinese instead of Russian, and the other had been "converted" Bubba'ed to accept AK mags (original mag long gone). The search continues for the perfect deal...

ben142266

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2023
    Aurora
    Man, the milsurp game sure is frustrating sometimes. Twice in the last two days I thought I might have a shot at finally getting a decently priced Russian SKS from local sellers. One turned out to be Chinese instead of Russian, and the other had been "converted" Bubba'ed to accept AK mags (original mag long gone). The search continues for the perfect deal...
    The ban really drove the prices for them up real quick, I've been keeping my eye out for one but definitely not shelling out a grand for one. Russian Toks are even worse. Maybe once everything is said and done we get another influx of milsurps (fingers crossed)

MongooseLaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2019
    Albion
    I am currently on the hunt for some harder to find milsurps...

French 1886/93 rifle for my WW1 collection

Japanese Type 30 (or other variant) rifle with Finnish Civil Guard markings/provenance

Italian carcano long rifle for the WW2 collection....not hard to find just not a priority

Any rifle in the unobtanium realm....extremely rare Finn mosin variants, original matching Russian imperial M91's/dragoons, m1907 carbine, original unaltered Spanish Civil War rifles, Albanian M91/30

Last edited:

ben142266

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2023
    Aurora
    looking for a nice M1917 myself, and an 1898 trench shotgun, will probally have to settle on standard 1898 if I can find one.
    Riot length is a good way to go if you don't want to spend the money on an original 1897 trench gun. I do know that making a repro can be a bit of a hassle.

Top Bottom