• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdfog2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    West Central Indiana
    This last week, I did the thing that you're not supposed to do. I refinished my No4. I know it kills the value and authenticity, but the gun was just so darn ugly I couldn't take it anymore. Rust bluing is a long and tedious process, but I got intimately familiar with every little piece of the rifle, so that was kind of cool. I'm much happier with the rifle as it is now, so as far as I'm concerned that's what counts.

Went from this:
    View attachment 281761
    View attachment 281762
    View attachment 281763
    View attachment 281764

To this:
    View attachment 281765
    View attachment 281766
    View attachment 281768
    View attachment 281767
    Jumping in here late but that refinish job is
    I have a couple 3 or 4 Milsurps in varying grades of condition and I wouldn't have been able to look old warhorse in that condition much longer either. She was made to be functional, but that doesn't mean she has to be ugly.

You've allowed her to regain her dignity.

Very very nice !
    JD

jdfog2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    West Central Indiana
    Jumping in here late but that refinish job is
    I have a couple 3 or 4 Milsurps in varying grades of condition and I wouldn't have been able to look old warhorse in that condition much longer either. She was made to be functional, but that doesn't mean she has to be ugly.

You've allowed her to regain her dignity.

Very very nice !
    JD
    The emoticon not showing after "is" was a thumbs up

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    What company did you decide on for the 1911? Obviously an original is ideal but price wise just not viable. I've been looking into Tisas lately for a nice representation of one.
    .....that's what mine is...the Tisas for the price suits my purposes. We are shooting steel targets at short distances for our military matches. Appearance wise, they look like the old 1911's and mine has been reliable. Since our range requires lead bullets only, it hasn't had an issue with any of my reloads. One thing I did was change out the plastic grips with some wooden ones. Did wonders for the look of the gun but both of the bottom screws were torqued down tight. Had to use an impact screwdriver to shock them loose. Just a word to the wise if you buy one and want to change the grips. Yes, most of the real military guns have gotten stupid pricewise. Which is kind of funny because these aren't exactly rare guns, lol....to top it off most of them have been shot to death.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    ....pistols anyone?
    TZtMfqQl.jpg

Colt Army Model of 1917 made in 1922, Colt Model 1911 made in 1917, Nagant M1895 Revolver made in 1943, Enfield Number 2 Revolver made in 1943 by Albion Motors in Scotland, Walther P.38 made in 1945 by Spreewerk, Beretta Model 1934 and Type 94 Nambu made in 1944.

Last edited:

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    TZtMfqQl.jpg

Colt Army Model of 1917 made in 1922, Colt Model 1911 made in 1917, Nagant M1895 Revolver made in 1943, Enfield Number 2 Revolver made in 1943 by Albion Motors in Scotland, Walther P.38 made in 1945 by Spreewerk, Beretta Model 1934 and Type 94 Nambu made in 1944.
    ...kewl....!

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Quite jealous of the Type 94! What pushed this collection? Seems to be all over the place and not your "typical" milsurp pistols.
    A couple of decades ago, I started collecting infantry rifles with the goal of one rifle for each major player in WWII. After about 10 years, I got to the point of having most of the 'easy stuff'.

MO8f5PLl.jpg

Since I was pretty much done with the rifles, outside a Norwegian Krag, a Chinese Mauser and other unobtainable rifles, I thought it would be fun to start collecting a sidearm to go with each rifle.

I've always been fascinated with non-firearms manufacturers that stepped up during war time and built firearms for the war effort. For example the top two rifles above were made by Smith Corona and IBM respectively. So whenever it is an option, I try to find something along those lines.

FYLyuXCl.jpg

Thanks for mentioning the Type 94. I am pretty proud of that score. I watched those on GB for two years before bidding.

Here is a thread: Nambu Type 94

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    ....not sure if this is the proper place for this......our GAF group took part in the Martinsville July 4th parade......I'm the big goof in the middle of the back row.....it was a chance to promote our sport in a positive light.....

Attachments

• GAF Parade Martinsville 7_4_2023 copy.jpeg
      GAF Parade Martinsville 7_4_2023 copy.jpeg
      381 KB · Views: 30

ben142266

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2023
    Aurora
    Some semi-recent acquisitions. Haven't gotten my eyes on anything of late so recommendations are welcome for what you think should be the next gun.

First up, an Italian Vetterli in 6.5. Grabbed this one at a local auction as usual for, I think, around $300.
    20230812_143302.jpg
    Next up is an East German Makarov, same auction, different day, for $400
    f435a4d1-716f-47df-86ca-7aaffbf19121.jpg

And finally, another Mak, Bulgarian, bought off another user here for $325
    b698c78a-3dce-4099-b6e2-811ce749040a.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Some semi-recent acquisitions. Haven't gotten my eyes on anything of late so recommendations are welcome for what you think should be the next gun.

First up, an Italian Vetterli in 6.5. Grabbed this one at a local auction as usual for, I think, around $300.
    View attachment 303110
    Next up is an East German Makarov, same auction, different day, for $400
    View attachment 303117

And finally, another Mak, Bulgarian, bought off another user here for $325
    View attachment 303118
    I love the look of the Vetterli/Carcano. Almost has a "steam punk" look to it. Here's mine.

1696338257567.png

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Agreed, I really want to get into reloading so I can actually shoot some of the rifles I have, just one of those things I've yet to fully commit to though. Have you shot yours, how is it?
    Yes I've shot it. It's nothing spectacular to shoot, but there's not much recoil to it with the 6.5 (I reload for it and my other Carcanos). When I first got it, the firing pin spring was weak, but a buddy of mine had one with a bad barrel that he didn't shoot, so he traded me springs to get mine up and running.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Newest addition out of layaway, Swiss K11. Second Swiss rifle I've picked up, need to find a sling for it but can't quite figure out if the K31s used the same sling or not since I can find a lot of those online. View attachment 286750
    I don't think the slings are exactly the same but can't confirm right now. My two rifles are off-site atm. Both have original slings afaik. The sling attaches on the side of the K31 & the bottom of the K11. A popular high-power mil-surp match mod to the K31 was to swap on a K11 front mount.

ben142266

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2023
    Aurora
    I don't think the slings are exactly the same but can't confirm right now. My two rifles are off-site atm. Both have original slings afaik. The sling attaches on the side of the K31 & the bottom of the K11. A popular high-power mil-surp match mod to the K31 was to swap on a K11 front mount.
    Just re-looked and you're right, however it looks like that K11 carbines and K31 do share the same mounting point style with both being on the side, might be a slight length difference but Mongo was right, I should be fine with either.

Top Bottom