• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Here is a new piece I just added to my collection. Although, the Nambu Type 94 has a reputation of being the most poorly designed sidearm in the history of military sidearms. The pistol was more successful than it's reputation would imply.

As the Japanese expanded into the Pacific and China, officers were so frustrated with the Type 14's cumbersomeness and complexity so much that they were purchasing European made .32acp pistols. Kijiro Nambu had been experimenting with a more European style locking block, locking system with an external hammer which would prove to be more reliable than the Type 14's complex striker fired system. He patented a pistol in 1929 that had many of these features. Following recommendations made by the Japanese Imperial Army for a smaller, more dependable and easier to manufacture pistol that would be more useful to army tank and air crews, Nambu came up with the Type 94.

One featured requested by the Army was a magazine disconnect, it seems there were quite a number of accidental discharges with the Type 14 because soldiers mistakenly thought unloading them only required removing the magazine. The Type 94 has a simple system, not really a true disconnect, which allows a bar to pop up behind the trigger when the magazine is removed. It was simple, but effective.

Most people are aware of the design defect of the exposed trigger bar that will drop the internal hammer and discharge the weapon if pressed. In reality when the safety is engaged, no amount of pressure on the trigger bar will cause the pistol to discharge. In fact, officers, tankers and airmen of the Army were happy to have a smaller, less complex pistol that fired the standard 8mm pistol cartridge. The Type 94 was strictly issued to the Army.

Type9420170313-01RightSide_zps8yx2sxr4.jpg

I won the pistol on a Gunbroker auction for $395 after watching them for quite a long time. It was made by Kijiro Nambu's factory in Kokubunji under the supervision of the Nagoya arsenal. The Showa Year and Month of production is stamped on the right side of the pistol 19.3(...to convert to Gregorian year add 1925) giving March of 1944.

Type9420170313-04leftSide_zpsurd4gbe1.jpg

The markings on the left side of the pistol read Type 94. The crude machining is indicative of late war production. In fact a month or two after this pistol was manufactured, they switched from the bakelite grips to wooden grips, another in a series of design changes to reduce cost and speed production. Of course by March of 1944, it was obvious that the Japanese's Empire in the Pacific and China was a lost cause. Some 70,000 of these pistols were produced between 1935 and 1945.

Last edited:

Wanderer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Bloomington
    Nice. Under $400 is a steal for one of these nowadays; many I've seen for sale recently are going for nearly twice that. I'm into Imperial Japanese guns so I'd certainly like to add one to my collection someday. You taken it to the range yet (or even found any ammo for it)?

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I haven't had it to the range yet. There are a couple of sources for newly made 8mm Nambu; but, at a buck a round, I won't be shooting it much.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Very nice. I've always found the Imperial Japanese weapons interesting. Compared to the European and American weapons, they just seem to have a very different design philosophy (though the French come close with some of the weird firearms they fielded).

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Very nice. I've always found the Imperial Japanese weapons interesting. Compared to the European and American weapons, they just seem to have a very different design philosophy (though the French come close with some of the weird firearms they fielded).

Agreed.

Early in my collecting, I picked up an Ariskara Type 99 with the mono pod, dust cover and Anti-Aircraft sights which had horizontal bars with notches to help lead an aircraft. At first glance, attempting to shoot down an airplane with a bolt rifle seems crazy. But, if a squad of 20 or 30 men all take a well aimed shot at the same time...suddenly the plane is flying through a shotgun style pattern of 7.7mm lead projectiles. I'm sure this was much more effective earlier in the war, before armor plating, when planes were still fabric and wood. But, the idea seems to have merit.

After I made this purchase and started doing some research on the Type 94, I find it interesting that the terrible reputation it has is mostly undeserved and that it is possibly a superior design to the earlier Type 14.

"To stay young requires unceasing cultivation of the ability to unlearn old falsehoods." -- Robert Heinlein

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I picked up an Ariskara Type 99 with the mono pod, dust cover and Anti-Aircraft sights which had horizontal bars with notches to help lead an aircraft. At first glance, attempting to shoot down an airplane with a bolt rifle seems crazy.

Those ground pounder anti-aircraft devices were more a moral booster then an actual tried and true practice.. Its to give the grunt on the receiving end of an air attack some confidence that he can fight back and not lay there and take it.. We did the same thing.. We had a hole in the corner of our WW II anti gas cover so soldiers can fight back against air attacks...

wwii_gas_bag.jpg

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Those ground pounder anti-aircraft devices were more a moral booster then an actual tried and true practice.. Its to give the grunt on the receiving end of an air attack some confidence that he can fight back and not lay there and take it.. We did the same thing.. We had a hole in the corner of our WW II anti gas cover so soldiers can fight back against air attacks...

This is not the first time I have heard this, but I just simply don't buy it.

The early 20th Century Japanese Military was very much a warrior society. They had bastardized the Samurai's Bushido code to the point that a soldier's very life was the property of the Emperor and was to be forfeited willingly. The basic training of a Japanese soldier was inhumane with severe beatings doled out on the slightest of pretenses. The warrior code spawned the Kamikaze, soldiers buried in holes with an artillery shell and a hammer as an anti-tank weapon, and virtually entire armies that would commit suicide rather than face the disgrace of surrender. Even the civilians on Okinawa would commit suicide rather than surrender. The idea that such a military culture would knowingly adopt an ineffective weapon even partly as a morale booster for the common soldier is nonsense. It may make sense when talking about a Western army, but not the Japanese military of the 1930's.

The anti-aircraft rear sight may not have been effective in actual practice, but there is simply no way the morale of the troops was a consideration in its adoption.

Last edited:

Wanderer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Bloomington
    If it helps, Liberty Tree Collectors currently has some new production 8mm Nambu in stock; $35 for a 50 round box. And it's made by PCI right here in Indiana.

Top Bottom