• ...and so much more!
  • TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Just got an unexpected deal at a local gun store... They had a bin of unpriced "Misc" pistol mags. Found two standard 8rd Tokarev mags and a 9rd Yugo M57 mag. None of them had any markings, so they may all be newer commercial production, but they look decent, so im happy. These mags go for $25 - 40 each online, but the guy gave me all 3 for $20 (total) after telling me he was pretty sure they were 1911 mags. I kind of feel like I robbed them, but they obviously didnt know what they had.
    I've had similar experiences. The way I look at it is they didn't want to put the effort into learning what they were selling to maximize their profit. I'm not robbing them, just taking advantage of their laziness.

Now, if it's a good friend, I will say something about their pricing, but a good friend will likely not care as they know that I will return the favor.

STopaz1982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 14, 2021
    Hendricks County
    Didn't know if this would be appropriate for milsurp or the cutting edge forum so decided to post in both. This is a full length 16" 1942 Wilde Tool bayonet in a Detroit Gasket scabbard. Both very desirable to collectors I understand. They are in very nice condition. A friend gave it to me many years ago. I still consider it his and am only the caretaker until he wants it back.
    IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG
    IMG_2510.JPG
    IMG_2508.JPG
    IMG_2513.JPG

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Wife and i went to Clifty Falls yesterday to hike. While in Madison, we stopped by a couple gun stores with items in stock that might interest some of you...

Madison Outdoors has the white boxes of Tula Red Army 7.62x54R on sale for $9.99 each. Cheapest price online for Mosin food is about $12/box. (They actually had quite a selection of ammo in stock when I was there yesterday.)

Madison Gold & Guns has dozens (if not hundreds) of AK bayonets for $25 each, but you have to dig through them all to find one you like. On the other end of the spectrum, they also have two dozen M1 Garands for $2k+ each, and almost a dozen Mosins and SKSes with varying levels of Bubbaing for $500 - 1000 each. They're pretty proud of their guns in there.

:cheers:

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    Wife and i went to Clifty Falls yesterday to hike. While in Madison, we stopped by a couple gun stores with items in stock that might interest some of you...

Madison Outdoors has the white boxes of Tula Red Army 7.62x54R on sale for $9.99 each. Cheapest price online for Mosin food is about $12/box. (They actually had quite a selection of ammo in stock when I was there yesterday.)

Madison Gold & Guns has dozens (if not hundreds) of AK bayonets for $25 each, but you have to dig through them all to find one you like. On the other end of the spectrum, they also have two dozen M1 Garands for $2k+ each, and almost a dozen Mosins and SKSes with varying levels of Bubbaing for $500 - 1000 each. They're pretty proud of their guns in there.

:cheers:
    ...yeah, was recently at the pawn shop over in Hope, Indiana. They had a 3-4 nice M 1's. All priced in $2K and up range. Seems all the shops have them going high. Probably have better luck negotiating a price at a show.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    ...yeah, was recently at the pawn shop over in Hope, Indiana. They had a 3-4 nice M 1's. All priced in $2K and up range. Seems all the shops have them going high. Probably have better luck negotiating a price at a show.
    CMP is still the best way to get an M1. Even though they've gone up in price, they're still nowhere near show or shop or even private sale prices.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    CMP is still the best way to get an M1. Even though they've gone up in price, they're still nowhere near show or shop or even private sale prices.
    CMP is still the way to go, however the racks at Camp Perry were not well stocked back in August. The national matches were in full swing, and the CMP was limiting 1 rifle per competitor.
    Gun show prices of $2k for rack grade or field grade , that I a hard no!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Well, I did something I told myself I would never do. Went and bought a Webley Mark IV. Not the 38/200 but the .455 Boer War pistol.

No pics as of yet, it is need of some real attention but should be a looker when it is finished.

It has a low serial number so it should have been made in 1899 and the birds head grips look fantastic. I bought it cheap enough to keep it interesting and I am always a sucker for another project...

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    New surp this weekend, and she's a beaut', Clark. Got a chance to buy this unissued, unfired 1953 Polish Mosin M44 for a really nice price and I couldn't pass it up. All matching, deep bluing, action and chamber still packed with cosmo.

From what I've read, these were manufactured and stockpiled by my brilliant Polish ancestors at a time when the rest of the world was making SKSes and AKs. Some of them were never used, and eventually surplussed into the US in the 1990s.

Enjoy...

20221023_163747.jpg

20221023_170741.jpg

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    New surp this weekend, and she's a beaut', Clark. Got a chance to buy this unissued, unfired 1953 Polish Mosin M44 for a really nice price and I couldn't pass it up. All matching, deep bluing, action and chamber still packed with cosmo.

From what I've read, these were manufactured and stockpiled by my brilliant Polish ancestors at a time when the rest of the world was making SKSes and AKs. Some of them were never used, and eventually surplussed into the US in the 1990s.

Enjoy...

View attachment 232306

View attachment 232307
    Those Polish M44's have such good fit and finish, they are the cream of the drop.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Got this email today. Is this a price reduction? I seem ro recall prices were a touch higher in the recent past.
    We just paid $650 for a rack grade a few months ago, so $700 is an increase. It was kind of rough, stock was varnished and needed a complete strip and refinish, but it is a good shooter. "Rack Plus" is a new category, but it sounds like you're basically just paying $150 for new CMP wood on a regular rack grade rifle.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Cleaned up and partially restored Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk 1 that I bought a while ago in rough shape. Spent a lot of time cleaning, polishing and on wood restoration. The rifle shoots fine and the action is like silk. This project was meant for the rifle to be a regular shooter and not a collector or museum piece. An acquaintance once commented that since it was in “bad shape” when I got it that I should “sporterize” the gun. Sacre Bleau I responded and almost took away his beer!!! Anyway the photo attached is the end result.
    CE2931C4-C4D3-4183-91DB-C90D436C7F56.jpeg

Last edited:

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Cleaned up and partially restored Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk 1 that I bought a while ago in rough shape. Spent a lot of time cleaning, polishing and on wood restoration. The rifle shoots fine and the action is like silk. This project was meant for the rifle to be a regular shooter and not a collector or museum piece. An acquaintance once commented that since it was in “bad shape” when I got it that I should “sporterize” the gun. Sacre Bleau I responded and almost took away his beer!!! Anyway the photo attached is the end result.

Looks good to me! I have quite a few surplus rifles, and almost all of them are "shooter" grade, primarily because I'm cheap, but also because I know I want to shoot any rifle I buy.

I had an opportunity to buy my first Enfield a couple months ago. It was a Mk5 jungle carbine, but i passed on it because the receiver was drilled and tapped (and i didnt really want another caliber to worry about finding ammo for). Seeing yours makes me wish I'd bought it anyway!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    That's a pretty rifle, and some nice work that you put in restoring it!

I'm torn about Enfields. We have an SMLE. The action is really smooth and it's a great shooter. It's very easy to operate quickly. Those characteristics really make me want to pick up a No. 4 and a No. 5.

That said, I hate the two-piece stock design, and rimmed cartridges are the devil. How the Brits kept using that crap as long as they did is beyond me.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    The Enfield is probably my favorite milsurp of them all, and somehow I don’t have one right now. They’re amazing rifles! But the ammo’s getting crazy expensive these days. :(

Top Bottom