• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Which one is backwards? I'm pretty sure the Garand is correct, I did a good deal of research before installing that one. Maybe my source was wrong, though. I know the Enfield is correct. The krag sling isn't a 1907 sling, it's the older Krag sling which to my reading was not designed to be used as a shooting aid. It was no fun to put on, I can tell you that. The Swede...who knows about that crazy thing, it could well be backwards. I found one set of instructions on some obscure forum on how to install it.

As to sling shooting, I've not done any with the national match style sling, just 2 or 3 point hasty slings on the AR. Most of our training is dynamic and there's not time to get strapped in and out of a competition style sling. I do quite a bit of unsupported shooting that way, and recently even set up a .22 with irons so I can get more practice in. This day was just about having fun with my kid playing with old rifles, not serious marksmanship training.

I have had the opportunity to have a few conversations with some guys at the club about their competition sling setups, have watched some videos, and even bought Jim Owens's book, but I think it's going to take some hands on instruction and some serious practice for me to master
    I stand corrected.....it appeared to me that a couple were on backwards.....I have seen shooting many people buy a 1907 and know how tomrig it, they just toss it on , wrong and/or missing a part of it.......
    First time I went to rig my 1907 I was beyond baffled.........

A day of fun with the kids, I can understand that!!

Aaron

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    And then, eventually you gotta get matching sidearms for those rifles...
    W6KJFpu.jpg

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    And then, eventually you gotta get matching sidearms for those rifles...
    W6KJFpu.jpg
    Feel bad for the poor country arming their boys with house cats!

Yes I’ve had the same affliction. Ended up with a couple different Tokarev pistols. Haven’t found the right one.
    20170625_003536.jpg
    The Nornico 213 was soft and literally peening itself to death with each shot. The Yugo 57 just didn’t run right and I didn’t like that specific pistol enough to fix it. Way too much slide velocity. Firing pin drag. Probably just a few springs but still I’m waiting for a nice polish or Romanian.

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    What do you guys know about Trapdoor Springfields? I'm thinking that may be my next purchase, but I don't feel like I'm knowledgeable enough about them at this point to know what to look for. I have a Marlin 1895 in .45-70, and reload for it (mostly to trapdoor levels, using trailboss) so I'm familiar with the cartridge, but not the rifle itself.

My budget is not huge, so I'd be looking to find something well-used, but still a shooter. I'd even be ok with a decent reproduction or slightly bubba'd sporter if such a thing exists. Investment and collectability are not my goal...I just want to shoot it and learn about the design. What options are out there, and what sort of things do I need to look for to make sure the gun is sound and safe to shoot?
    I am way late here but there are still some real trapdoors and Bannerman specials out there to be had. I have a Bannerman carbine and a true rifle I picked up and preserved. Neither have been shot for medical reasons but that is about to change...

1661939139290.jpeg

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I am way late here but there are still some real trapdoors and Bannerman specials out there to be had. I have a Bannerman carbine and a true rifle I picked up and preserved. Neither have been shot for medical reasons but that is about to change...

View attachment 220993
    It looks like you got the ramrod bayonet version, I think that is an interesting variation.

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    ....newest additions to my arsenal. Just found the 1903 Springfield to pair with the Tisas 1911 for pre WW1 GAF EEM's (1900-1916). Now all I need are dies, brass, bullets and clips, lol....

Attachments

• 20220831_161107_kindlephoto-4376550.jpg
      20220831_161107_kindlephoto-4376550.jpg
      249.8 KB · Views: 9

STopaz1982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 14, 2021
    Hendricks County
    A handed down Carbine to share. National Postal Meter. Looks to have correct parts and is in great condition. Shot it a fair amount as a kid but have not since my Dad passed and it became mine.
    right side.JPG
    receiver right.JPG
    Inkedtang.jpg
    receiver top.JPG
    barrel.JPG
    lug left.JPG
    If I'm not mistaking, the bayonet lug would have been added during rework. If anyone has info to add, I'd love to hear it.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    I'm sure a lot of you have stockpiles of surplus 8mm Mauser ammo, but anyone looking for new production brass cased ammo might want to check out MidwayUSA. They've got 196gr PPU soft points for $21/box, and they have a deal going today for free shipping on orders $49+.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm sure a lot of you have stockpiles of surplus 8mm Mauser ammo, but anyone looking for new production brass cased ammo might want to check out MidwayUSA. They've got 196gr PPU soft points for $21/box, and they have a deal going today for free shipping on orders $49+.
    I know that's probably not a bad price these days but I still have a hard time imagining paying that much. Wasn't that long ago that it was routinely $14.99 a box for commercial 8mm (and other milsurp caliber ammo too). Even that seemed expensive when I was sitting on a stockpile of surplus ammo that I probably gave 30 cents a round for. :):

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    I know that's probably not a bad price these days but I still have a hard time imagining paying that much. Wasn't that long ago that it was routinely $14.99 a box for commercial 8mm (and other milsurp caliber ammo too). Even that seemed expensive when I was sitting on a stockpile of surplus ammo that I probably gave 30 cents a round for. :):

Yeah, thats what i figured, but unfortunately I never knew those days. That 8mm on Midway is the best price on ammoseek right now for new production brass. And the free shipping deal makes it even better.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, thats what i figured, but unfortunately I never knew those days. That 8mm on Midway is the best price on ammoseek right now for new production brass. And the free shipping deal makes it even better.
    It was only about 5 years ago that I would see those prices. I was a member of Sportsman's Guide's Buyer's Club (still am) and back then they would run specials for free shipping over $49 for members (now it's that way all the time I think). I'd usually just order enough to get the free shipping. Now their prices are about what you mentioned Midway's are (or even a little higher).

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I, like so many of you, have always had a thing for old military weapons. A big part of that was because I myself was in the Army from 1981 til 2009.

That means that yes... I even view the AR platform as a "milsurp" rifle. Hey, they may not have the same old school wood, and steel appeal you get from a 1903 Springfield, but between the M16A1, M16A2, M4, and M4A1, I spent 28 years with some type of AR platform weapon in my hands, so to me (and probably many others) they do have a special place in our hearts.

As far as the older wood & steel weapons go, I've had several over the years. The problem with me is my collection of firearms has always been rather modest. Normally when I find something I want, I end up selling something else to get it. I just can't seem to find the finances to grow the collection without hurting other factettes of my life.

I've have several Mausers, and most of them have been good shooters. I have a deep preference the 7mm versions as I have really fallen for the soft shooting round. I still have one 7mm Mauser chambered rifle, but it's a modern one... a Remington 700 Classic.

I've had one M1 Carbine, and I wish I'd kept that, but I got it at a bad time, and couldn't resist the offer I got shortly after.

I've had 2 #4 Lee Enfields. The first was many years ago. It was a sporter, but a real good shooter, and I really fell for the fast short bolt action design, and 10 round capacity. For year after year I wanted to replace it. I finally did a couple years back with a #4 Mk1* Longbranch. It had already been drilled for scope mounts, so I figured it was non-collectable. I went ahead and "ruined" it as so many collectors would say. The thing about this rifle is, even though I have modified it, it still has all the flavor of the original, it's just shorter, (16.5" barrel) and has a modern red dot sight on it. I have posted photos of it here in INGO before. (and elsewhere) It has got comments ranging from "I love it" to "You destroyed an irreplaceable piece of history." As of now (sadly) it's the only true milsurp weapon I own... but it's one I'll never sell. My boy will own it when I get dead. By the way, he already has one of the old mausers (a bring back from Italy in WWII on his mom's side) and a Mosin.

I do love old milsurp weapons... and by that I mean both the originals, and the millions that have been modified post conflict by owners to suit their needs. (some better that others I'll admit)

In the interest of my rather long rant... and for those who haven't seen my Lee Enfield yet (because I love showing it off) here's what I'm talking about... Roast me if you like, but I love the hell out of it, and it shoot very well.

1 A Lee Enfield Battle Rifle on princess rock.JPG

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    In the interest of my rather long rant... and for those who haven't seen my Lee Enfield yet (because I love showing it off) here's what I'm talking about... Roast me if you like, but I love the hell out of it, and it shoot very well.
    I saw that rifle and followed your thread and you did an excellent job!

Here are a couple that I "ruined" (not really - the sight mount fit over the old rear sight and could be easily returned to original sights).

Yugo Mauser on top, Mosin M38 on the bottom.

1662506062997.jpeg
    I do love old milsurp weapons... and by that I mean both the originals, and the millions that have been modified post conflict by owners to suit their needs. (some better that others I'll admit)
    I have had a growing appreciation for the sporterized rifles as long as they were done well.

This is probably my favorite. Argentine Mauser M1909, re-barreled to 30-06. Has about a 2 lb. trigger (if that).

1662506181142.jpeg

This my second favorite. Remington Berthier Model 1907-15 (8mm Lebel).

1662506321088.jpeg 1662506357178.jpeg

Top Bottom