• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Used to get them often when I was younger, they just came less and less often as I got older and now It's been years since I've had one. Would be very interested to know why they've gone away.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    My mom has some serious issues with migraines and her dentist was the one to fix her problems. Due to teeth grinding while she sleeps, her jaw is pushed out of alignment and creates tension on her nerves. She has to wear a small mouth piece once in awhile to help realign her jaw and free her from the headaches. Might be something to look at.

Here are some things for you to consider:

TMJ Migraine Symptoms - Leading Dentists

[h=3]What is Temporomandibular Disorder (TMD)?[/h]Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD) is an umbrella term covering pain and dysfunction of the muscles of mastication (the muscles that move the jaw) and the temporomandibular joint.
    There is a close relationship between TMD and migraine headaches. Many people who suffer from migraine headaches are unaware that TMD is a common cause of migraine headaches. The reason that TMD causes migraines and other head pain problems is due to the following:

• The Trigeminal nerve is very closely associated to the TMJ and is responsible for the jaw and tooth functions. TMD (due to multiple missing teeth, worn down teeth, bad or deep bite, poor dental work or physical functions such as habitual bad posture, jaw injury/accident, etc.) can displace the TMJ from its balanced position. When the mandible (or lower jaw bone) is not aligned properly with the maxilla (or upper jaw/cheekbone), it often results in a dislocation of the protective disc that sits between those two bones. As the lower jaw works and pushes the lower jawbone farther back in its working socket (fossa), it compresses the nerves and blood vessels. This puts continuous strain on the Trigeminal nerve in the socket which in turn causes stress on the occipital nerves which results in a migraine headache
    Trigeminal-nerve.jpg

• When the TMJ is out of alignment, it causes the muscles in your face, head, and neck that surround the joint to strain. Even while at rest, the muscles are having excess stress put on them because of the misaligned joint. The strained muscles in the head, face, and neck can cause headaches or TMJ migraines. TMJ headaches are often so painful, severe, and frequent that they are misdiagnosed as common migraines
    • TMJ headaches can also be caused by a build-up of blood pressure. When the muscles in your face, head and neck are strained, they prevent blood from flowing to the correct places. When this happens, your body attempts to correct the problem by sending more blood to the area, which increases blood pressure. This can cause a very painful feeling of pressure around the head leading to headaches

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Interesting. I haven't had one in a while...knock on wood. I believe mine were mostly hormone-related. I have a Himalayan Salt lamp too, and i actually didn't know they were supposed to help migraines...so maybe it does. I have TMJ and neck issues, see a chiropractor for a tune-up about once a month. When I did get them, they hurt like crazy, I would be very sensitive to light (had to drive only about 3 minutes one night, headlights just about killed me). Always ended with vomiting, and then I'd feel better, and usually be hungry shortly after. They are hideous things! I've not had much luck with peppermint oil, I use lavender and eucalyptus for a lot of things.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I get them every so often, less often as I figure out the triggers. They start with a vision spot and move to either the flashy lines or Picasso type (everything is out of place, I can see part of someone's face but not all of it). I've learned that at the very first moment I even think my vision is off I immediately take two Motrin. This will usually lessen the full onset or keep a full blown one away. If I don't take anything in time it turns to extreme sensitivity to light, inability to see, numbness in hand or hands, inability to think clearly (when they have been most extreme I wasn't able to read - I knew the sounds the letters made and tried to sound out the words but I couldn't read - that was the scariest one I've ever had) oh yeah and the pain. You don't care how much medication you take, it doesn't go away and it doesn't lessen it. Lock the medicine cabinet and monitor what your loved one takes.

Most of mine were triggered by activities I could control: Eat regular meals if you skip one it could trigger one. Pay attention to chemical sweeteners, Diet Sodas are the very worst. Iron deficiencies can kick them off too, many women get menstrual migraines that might just be preventable with an iron supplement. Normal sleep patterns are important too, staying up too late or getting up super early might just trigger one. I'm still on the quest for what else might cause mine but I've been able to cut the number I get down significantly...I think I've only had one full blown one in the last year and it was horrible enough to keep me looking for whatever else might cause them.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    yesterday was my second in about six months. last time i caught it early and was able to take some thing before it got bad. this time i was on my way home and its a 45 minute drive. by the timei got home the pain was there. still feeling a little off today. tired, slight headache, sinsitive to light. but its been worse.

Moparracer89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    NWI
    Before I got a prescription pain killer for them, I was taking the supplement FeverFew. Its some kind of flower. Im definitely not the hippie herbal medicine type but it did seem to help reduce the frequency of the migraines.

Top Bottom