• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    Im not talking headaches every now and them. Im talking when i get these migraines it startes out as vision that looks like a kaleidoscope, then i loose my peripheral vision. After about 30 minutes the headache comes. And this feels like my eyes and head will explode.
    I use to get these pretty often but it seems to have backed off a bit as ive gotten older. i was just wondering how others get them and how they start out for you. and length they stick around. mine usually subside in a few hours but the pain stays for a day or so if i sneeze or bend over.

so INGO how do you take your migraines :):

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I don't get them personally but my wife does quite often. For her it starts with what she calls "floaters" in her vision. If she can take some Excedrin and lay down in the dark, she can often times keep them from becoming full blown migraines.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Wife has a lot of them. Full blown. Barometric pressure goes up. And nothing to help, except her normal meds. Which don't help.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I get ice pick headaches. Basically, intense pain that lasts around 5-45 seconds. If migraines are as painful as ice pick headaches, I can't imagine how anyone copes with them. Fortunately, weekly vitamin b12 shots keep them at bay.

It wouldn't hurt to try the pills. It might help and you can't overdose on them.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    My wife use to get them just about every other day. Doing sone resear2she decided to try a Himalayan salt lamp. After about 1 week with the lamo plugged in they're gone. Hasn't had a headache/migrain since. Best of all i dont have to keep the big bottles of ibuprofen around anymore. She's been free of migraines now for 3 months. Not sure it'd help for you but might be worth looking into. She swears by it

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    My wife gets them. She does the essential oils. For migraines she puts a drop of peppermint oil under her tongue, then rubs some on the back of the neck, behind the ears, and even on the cheek bones or forehead.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    A few times a month. Starts out with a different headache (can't even explain it), blurred vision, upset stomach, sometimes vomiting and light and sound sensitivity. All this leads to a massive migraine within 30 minutes. I use Relpax, doctor prescribed, I can take 1 pill every 60 minutes up to 3 pills in 24hrs. 1 pill usually knocks it back down within 30-45 minutes without leaving me drowsy.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I used to get them all the time. I used to have a prescription for Midrin at 10 years old. They were bad enough that my vision would go blurry and I would sit in the dark, after taking my prescription, for 5-6 hours.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    i use to take midrin a few years ago. worked ok. when i was young i would get them about once a week. then it went to about once a month. most of the time these days its every few months. while they might not be as often the pain is still aweful!

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    Every day for the last 10 years at least, possibly longer as I don't fully remember. Been on every migraine med there is, had botox, nerve blocks, infusions, everything they use. I just assuming I'm stuck with them for life at this point. Mine vary in intensity, sometimes change type (stabbing, pressure, exct) and hit me randomly multiple times a day. I currently use triptans, but only get 9a month and dont work well.

I feel for anyone that has any sort of migraine. I now mine could be much worse and feel bad for those that are.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Used to get them years ago. Went to a chiropractor for a couple years (then stopped after never having another one). Haven't had one in over 22 years.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Used to get one about every year to year and a half. Now, about every two (2) years.

The best nonprescription solution I found (never got a scrip) is 800mg Ibuprofen (this is prescription strength) COMBINED with 750mg of aspirin. Yeah, I know yer not sposed to combine drugs, but with a migraine there comes a point of not caring.

That cocktail mix could do the job, mostly. Before I learned that mix I would have to just get a bucket because throwing up would often come from the severe pain. I never got them often enough to justify in my mind going to get a prescription, so I improvised.

Anyone who thinks a migraine is just a bad headache is like saying being hit by a car is just being bumped into.

Doug

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I would usually wake up with mine. It would be just a bad headache then get worse. Most of the symptoms described in this thread and vomiting, which made them worse. I'd feel like I was hung over from WAY too much booze.

I'd get a really bad migraine every month or so. Bad headaches at least once a week, but I could do what I had to do with them.

In February, I quit eating grains of any kind. Haven't had a single pain in my head since.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    I would usually wake up with mine. It would be just a bad headache then get worse. Most of the symptoms described in this thread and vomiting, which made them worse. I'd feel like I was hung over from WAY too much booze.

I'd get a really bad migraine every month or so. Bad headaches at least once a week, but I could do what I had to do with them.

In February, I quit eating grains of any kind. Haven't had a single pain in my head since.

Is that why they call them migraines? Because "your grains" cause it?

Interesting reading what works for all you guys. My wife suffers from these nearly daily. Everything she has tried fails miserably, including Midrin. Any advice at this point is worth listening to.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Migraine sufferers have my utmost sympathy. I'm very fortunate and just don't get a headache more than once every few years and even those aren't bad. I honestly can't remember the last time I had one.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    I started getting them in summer 07 when I found out I was getting heat exhaustion from working my butt off outside. since then I seem to get them once or twice a summer. I also noticed one winter I was getting them weekly and traced it back to my car leaking exhaust into the cab. I just never noticed it. But everything described here has been my same experience. Vision spots, no peripheral, then a blinding pain along with nausea... Thankfully I dont think Its a reoccurring problem anymore, just so happened to be a string of cases of bad luck. I feel for anyone who has them on the regular, I could not deal with them

One med I did take was Maxalt. I did get the symptoms from it such as right side of body would go numb, but it did seem to make it not seem like a full blown migraine.

Moparracer89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    NWI
    Usually get a migraine every week or so. To those that have said they are taking an over the counter med to cure, thats not a migraine in my unmedical opinion. Shooting pain, nausea/vomiting, blurred vision, sensitivity to light/sound/smell are my normal symptoms. I finally broke down and visited a neurologist and was prescribed rizatriptan self dissolving tablets. These seem to work well but the key is taking it at the early onset.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom