• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I'm always confused by what people mean when they say "authentic Mexican". Before European influence? Like maize, potatoes, peppers? No pork, beef, or chicken? Why is "authentic" better?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'm always confused by what people mean when they say "authentic Mexican". Before European influence? Like maize, potatoes, peppers? No pork, beef, or chicken? Why is "authentic" better?
    I'm curious too, but in a different way. How many have been into Mexico and had actual Mexican food? Like any other ethnic food here, what we get is generally Americanized and only resembles actual authentic ethnic food.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    We stayed at a resort several years ago that served "traditional Mexican" dishes. Think lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, lots of color, and relatively simply grilled meats. I have never had anything like that around here. We went off resort to a few local places and had "authentic" Mexican. The fish in the fish tacos tasted like ammonia from being spoiled, but it was super overcooked in a cheap breading, and salted to try to cover it up. Another place, the food seemed to come from a frozen box, and was as bland as the food at MCL.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    Before our office moved from the Fishers area, we'd get takeout from Pancho's Taqueria on special occasions. Have never seen cabeza offered on any local menu but theirs; that became my favorite every time we ordered...

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Before our office moved from the Fishers area, we'd get takeout from Pancho's Taqueria on special occasions. Have never seen cabeza offered on any local menu but theirs; that became my favorite every time we ordered...
    Admittedly, I had to look that up, but I also like tacos made with "head meats". That is definitely "authentic". A few times a year I will buy a cow tongue and make tacos de lengua. Everyone loves them at first bite, but some people can't get past the thought after being told what they are eating.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Admittedly, I had to look that up, but I also like tacos made with "head meats". That is definitely "authentic". A few times a year I will buy a cow tongue and make tacos de lengua. Everyone loves them at first bite, but some people can't get past the thought after being told what they are eating.
    Barbacoa tacos made with head meat is the bomb. I remember the few occasions when some friends and I used to pick up a cows head at the little SuperMurcado in the Harbor area of East Chicago up north here and made tacos with it. One of my friends at the time worked in the steel mill with a guy named Arturo who turned us on to it. We all took bets on who would eat the eyeballs. Alcohol was usually involved.

Last edited:

sempreobie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Boone County
    Carniceria Guanajuato off Georgetown and Lafayette rd. Is where a bunch of guys from work go.

Tacos A La Diabla on the east side
    Guanajuato is legit if you're looking for authentic and variety. Don't be in a hurry though, they get busy and don't rush things. This is the old Pike Plaza Galyans store. You walk through the grocery to get to the restaurant, located in the back left corner.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'm always confused by what people mean when they say "authentic Mexican".
    It usually means, "I've never been to Mexico, but want to sound cultured and discerning, despite the fact that if you slapped a Burrito Supreme on my plate and told me it was Abuelita's secret recipe, I'd give it 5 stars."

:):

sempreobie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Boone County
    It usually means, "I've never been to Mexico, but want to sound cultured and discerning, despite the fact that if you slapped a Burrito Supreme on my plate and told me it was Abuelita's secret recipe, I'd give it 5 stars."

:):
    For some it means, the food and surroundings are similar to what you've experienced at 'local' restaurants in Mexico. A great indicator that a Mexican restaurant is authentic; you'll find that the majority of the patrons are Hispanic.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    It you want real tacos and tamales, hit up one of the food trucks that sell in the parking lots of the Mexican groceries in Greenwood or West Washington. If you don’t speak Spanish, know what you want in Spanish at least. There’s no English on the menus and the most times they can’t/won’t translate. Tamales de cerebro are a little off-putting, especially if you were expecting chicken.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    One thing I have learned from my authentic Mexican neighbors that I have found helpful. When they are eating something with their tortillas, they don't roll the other food up in their tortilla. They keep it on their plate, eat with a fork and use the tortilla just like we hill folk do with bread, roll or biscuit. Push food on the fork, sop juice up, etc. It definitely saves on spilling all over myself.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There is a "HUGE" difference. "HUGE"

There was a place on the corner. It was "Real" Mexican food made by "Real" Mexicans. The family started the place and the food was amazing. Failed to get a liquor license and the business closed. Need beer with meal.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    My favorite "Life in these United States" stories in Reader's Digest way back when was by a woman who was waiting in line at Taco Bell. She realized that the people in line with her were Mexican nationals. She got to talking with them and mentioned that she thought they probably didn't find Taco Bell very authentic. They replied, "No, it's very authentic, it's just like the Taco Bell in Mexico City!" :):

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Mi Camino's in Plymouth is pretty dang good
    There's another place in Plymouth and one in Bremen that my brother likes.
    Valpo by Blythe's is a pretty good place

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes they do. Many years ago, back in my early 20's I ran Don Pablos in Fort Wayne. Everything, meaning tables, chairs, plates, ect. are supplied by a few resteraunt supply places. This is why a Mexican joint in Fishers will look just like one in The Villages.
    I remember that one - All the interior stuff probably went to another restaurant in town.

Ah, Don Pablos... met the in-laws for the first time at one of those... can't say I miss that chain; or Carlos O'Kelly's.

Now days I head to the south side of town to find good Mexican food. I really don't care about immigration status, I just want good lengua and tripa tacos.

Top Bottom