• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Um... is it poor etiquette to rescind that?

I certainly don't like the way this thread headed...

My bone to pick is that it's a really hard song to sing, and it ends with a question. On its technical merits, it a poor national anthem. Even Hail, Columbia was better.
    Then how about you step off OK.

It is glaringly obvious you and a few others don't get it. So I don't like the way you and those few are taking this thread.

You dont have to stand. You dont have to sing. You dont have to post in this thread.

Man peoples. This is why we are loosing the fight and if you get this cool. If not you are the problem.

Now, before I blow a gasket I am stepping off.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    A moment to recognize and reflect upon something bigger than any one of us as individuals

A moment to unite as a whole.

A moment to stand next to someone else that you may not even know for a common bond.

That is something sorely lacking in today's divided society.

If you don't get that then I don't know what to tell you.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Um... is it poor etiquette to rescind that?

I certainly don't like the way this thread headed...

My bone to pick is that it's a really hard song to sing, and it ends with a question. On its technical merits, it a poor national anthem. Even Hail, Columbia was better.
    It doesn't end in a question. We only sing one verse.
    Hail Columbia, America the Beautiful would be a fine national anthem, but they're not. I don't care if it was twinkle twinkle little star, I would still show the respect that is deserved.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I find it difficult to understand how we got to the point that 1/2 our population hates their own country so much.

A country that has sacrificed more, given more, and lifted the world up more than any other place on earth.
    A country that millions the world over risk the lives of themselves and families to come to.
    A country that offers more opportunity and freedom than anywhere else in the world.

And it's all been pissed away by a bunch of self-righteous, indulgent, opportunists.

OK
    /off-topic rant

P.S. I greatly admire, respect, and appreciate all who have served our country and am not proud admit I never signed up to serve because I am a passive, peace loving, non-aggressive live-and-let-live individual that never had the stones to do it (basically a p***y).

To those that do and have served, I am in awe of your bravery and commitment.
    And that is why I choose to hold my hand over heart, face the flag and sing the anthem. I feel it's the least I can do as a citizen of the country you have helped make and keep great.

starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    Stopped watching/caring about professional sports during the 1994-95 baseball strike.

I was twelve.

Even at that young age, I could see what a bunch of overpaid crybabies they all are.

I don’t care what goes on inside those giant tax payer subsidized stadiums. I’d rather watch a T-ball game...those kids play their hearts out!
    Same here.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I think back fondly of that time. We were all proud of our parents, the nation, etc.... but TRUST me, no one wanted to get caught out when retreat was playing. It wasn’t a patriotism thing, everyone was a patriot, it was just one of those common things. But honestly, in a weird way, I kinda miss it.
    Ok, I read this and had to unignore you. First, much respect to you and your parents for stopping the car when it came on. That’s awesome.

But I honestly have to know, I’ve never heard this mentioned anywhere, maybe it’s before my time idk... what is “retreat”?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I always stand and place my hat over my chest when the anthem is played, but these days, I could care less whether sporting events play it or not. And unfortunately, that's exactly what the America-haters like Kaepernick want. Some of them would be happy to see the practice discontinued.

I say, if the America-haters are going to take the Anthem and "make it their own" with childish gestures, and the sports teams cannot figure out a way to limit and restrict their employees' "speech" while on company time, then fine. Shut it down. I don't get to say whatever I want when at work. Neither should they. There is no free speech issue here. Do it on your own time. If the gods of the Internet can shut down Parler, then ball teams should be able to find a legal way to shut down the chickenshit antics of people like Kaepernick. So just quit playing it. Every time people think about the Anthem not being played anymore, they will know precisely whom to thank for it. And that's the a-hole players, and the owners who can't or won't control their employees.

This is why we can't have nice things. I don't like letting the America-haters win. But the way I see it, if companies cannot regulate the behavior of employees while on the clock, then they've already won. I see no need to provide them with a nice, copacetic, patriotic public forum for hawking their crap. End it all and be done with it. Diminish the public sphere, stick a fork in all the Kumbaya BS, and let the a-holes (and the people who vote for that sort of thing) reflect on why we can't have nice things.

All right, rant off :ugh:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom