• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The Woman Deputy That was shot was a friend of mine and was sitting 4 chairs from me. If I had not gotten up to use the restroom then it would have been her husband that was sitting where she was when shot. The only thing I am thankful for in this situation is that my wife or son did not get hit.
    What I am sad about is that immediately media and some agencies began to blame the Deputy for shooting herself. It is a little difficult to shoot through a chair and hit yourself in the knee.

Bad accident that should not have happened on the day we were paying tribute to a good Officer and Friend.

I hope she will be ok and return to full duty

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    It appears this was a freak accident, but negligence is somewhere. Judging from the pictures, I'd say it lies in the hands of the department's holster selection and the holster itself. Holster that does not securely and fully enclose the trigger = bad deal. As I read about these more and more, though I am confident in my leather holster selection that are stiff and cover the trigger, I am considering doing kydex only. I know it's blasphemy, but when I ankle carry, I don't keep one in the chamber because I am not confident in my ankle holsters trigger cover area being cloth.

Accidents happen. EVEN in a perfect world.
    This incident will be reported, reviewed, and a new design may come out of it.
    Orville and Wilbur came out with a good design. Too bad all those negligent wrecks led to today's aircraft.
    There's an evolution to all things. I'm sure it will evolve.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How do you guard against that.

It takes a pretty unique set of circumstances to conspire. I certainly wouldn't think to check my holster every time I stood up. If I were in uniform, it could just as easily have been me as I use the same set up.

Since you carry a 1911, as long as the thumb and grip safety aren't bypassed somehow it shouldn't be an issue for you. Most non-light bearing holsters completely cover the trigger (old school revolver holsters as an exception) so also not an issue for anyone with that set up. An external hammer gun with a safety strap/hood that keeps the hammer from going far enough back to trip would make it not an issue as long as everything was functional and in place. I've accidentally de-activated my retention hood, though, so that's not a perfect defense.

. Don't hang around cops period.

Always good advise.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Accidents happen. EVEN in a perfect world.
    This incident will be reported, reviewed, and a new design may come out of it.
    Orville and Wilbur came out with a good design. Too bad all those negligent wrecks led to today's aircraft.
    There's an evolution to all things. I'm sure it will evolve.
    About 80% of those accidents were the result of pilot error. That led to better training and requirements. Yet, we still have a few pilots getting into the cockpit of commercial airliners while drunk. I don't know what this rambling has to do with gun accidents. I guess my point is that as long as people run things and do things accidents are going to happen. Hope the injured officer recovers speedily and fully. Stuff happens.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for these pics Denny. I just couldn't picture what this combo looked like. I have an ALS but not a wml version. I also have wml holsters but not from Safariland.

We are issued the Safariland ALS holsters for the TLR1 lights. Here is a picture of mine. If my finger can reach the trigger, so can a foreign object. His gun never left the holster at the time of the ND. We were all sitting on top of one another during the funeral. This is a very freak accident that really shouldn't condemn the officer nor the holster.

GH1fJjH.jpg

8q3KnAx.jpg

y1B6Xun.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It takes a pretty unique set of circumstances to conspire. I certainly wouldn't think to check my holster every time I stood up. If I were in uniform, it could just as easily have been me as I use the same set up.

Since you carry a 1911, as long as the thumb and grip safety aren't bypassed somehow it shouldn't be an issue for you. Most non-light bearing holsters completely cover the trigger (old school revolver holsters as an exception) so also not an issue for anyone with that set up. An external hammer gun with a safety strap/hood that keeps the hammer from going far enough back to trip would make it not an issue as long as everything was functional and in place. I've accidentally de-activated my retention hood, though, so that's not a perfect defense.

Always good advise.

As I look at the holster this had to be a mouse trap set of circumstances to have occurred to cause this.
    Crazy.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    You cannot prevent that gap if you have a weapon light attached. Otherwise the handgun will never come out. It is a compromise with slight risk. After 10 years or so of these holsters and 1 ND, it is more of a perfect storm of events that let to this.

I agree with you and did some simple math.
    1500 officers
    250 working days
    8 years with equipment.

Thats 3,000,000 times without a ND. Yes three million times.

Wait....... Did I just Denny a Denny post?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I agree with you and did some simple math.
    1500 officers
    250 working days
    8 years with equipment.

Thats 3,000,000 times without a ND. Yes three million times.

Wait....... Did I just Denny a Denny post?

Well, just because I want to Denny your Denny of a Denny, a sizable portion of the department is plain clothes, admin, UC, etc. and does not wear the duty belt and there's some old timers (err...sorry, seasoned officers) who still use the old style holster. It's probably closer to 1.5 million. So nyah.

Top Bottom