• ...and so much more!
  • rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty

Looking at this, if a writer had presented this story to the Babylon Bee a year ago, the editors would have gone "WTF? No one would believe this, even as satire!"

Every time you think, "things can't get more f***'ed up" someone goes "hold my beer." Very sad.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There has to be a better-than-average story on how that display got there to begin with...

I figure everyone got what they wanted. The Satanists got attention. The idol smasher got matrydom. Lots of people got to feel things really intensely for a few minutes. The media got their clicks. Politicians will get to make hay with it.

2/10 on the interesting protest scale, though. Needs more Pastafarian envolvement.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I figure everyone got what they wanted. The Satanists got attention. The idol smasher got matrydom. Lots of people got to feel things really intensely for a few minutes. The media got their clicks. Politicians will get to make hay with it.

2/10 on the interesting protest scale, though. Needs more Pastafarian envolvement.
    I envision this being like a big rock that the Seniors re-paint every year.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Doesn’t every crime have some level of hate involved?
    That was always my problem with that descriptor.

ALL crime is hate crime. If you loved the other person, you would not attack him, steal or destroy his stuff.

The very idea that someone can openly harm me and be justified, but if I say anything about it, I am guilty of a hate crime, is absurd.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Funny you should mention that. Our youngest decided to tweak the system when he got his new drivers license. He brought a pastafarian letter in with him explaining his religious headgear, and wore a colander on his head for his picture. Might make for interesting times over the next few years.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    "Hate crimes" are unconstitutional (Equal Protection violation). With that caveat: yes, this act was unlawful and the person who committed it was rightfully charged, both for the underlying crime and for application of the (unconstitutional) "hate crime".

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Doesn’t every crime have some level of hate involved?

No. Economic motivation requires no hate. I worked a few robbery cases where the robber was literally apologizing throughout the robbery, they were motivated by desperation and not hate. Theft as a whole isn't hate driven, it's economic or thrill seeking driven. No hate required. It *could* be hate driven, if it's done as revenge or something, but not typically.

Being a drunk behind the wheel with poor judgement skills and lack of spacial awareness requires no hate, etc.

I mean, unless you expand the definition to the point all human action is hate driven, I suppose. "I hate starving to death, so I buy food" sort of thing, but I think that's stretching the point to absurdity.

"Hate crimes" are unconstitutional (Equal Protection violation). With that caveat: yes, this act was unlawful and the person who committed it was rightfully charged, both for the underlying crime and for application of the (unconstitutional) "hate crime".

While I generally disagree with the concept of 'hate crime', there's no violation of equal protection. Hate crimes in this context would apply to any religion if the motive was the religion. And, likely, lack of religion. I know the next argument is prosecutorial discretion, but that's not the law itself.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Funny you should mention that. Our youngest decided to tweak the system when he got his new drivers license. He brought a pastafarian letter in with him explaining his religious headgear, and wore a colander on his head for his picture. Might make for interesting times over the next few years.
    Dude, you have the coolest kids. Smart, well traveled, and sarcastic.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Christians: "We demand religious displays in our state capital!"

Also Christians: "Wait - not that kind of religious displays."

As Christian, I have to say, "well played, antagonist*." They put up a display with the blatant goal of tweaking Evangelists and we totally took the bait - hook, line, and sinker.

Should he be charged with a hate crime? I don't know. But he should be charge for being a stooge.

* These people don't believe in a God and Satan, they are clearly atheist look to stick it to Fundamentalist. And we gave them the victory while looking like self-conscious boobs. Victory belongs to the Lord - stop being so fearful.

Last edited:

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    I HATE THE ANTICHRIST

I HATE THE ANTICHRIST

I HATE THE ANTICHRIST

:tinfoil:
    Okay, the next logical question.
    Will you please identify said person?

"Hate Crime"... Who doesn't want laws against something that sounds as bad as that?
    "Hate Crime" statutes are double edged.
    I'm old school, I prefer standard, straight up laws against everyday crimes like, murder, assault, vandalism, etc.
    "Hate", like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    What was old, WILL become new again.

World History Encyclopedia, "Rome's Response to the Spread of Christianity" Feb 9, 2021
    "Domitian insisted upon being addressed as 'Lord and God', and he ordered everyone in the Empire to worship at the imperial cult temples with sacrifices in the form of cash donations. Christians, however, refused to obey this command and, as a result, were charged with atheism. Atheism meant disbelief in the gods and, at the same time, it was a civil crime against the state. Not respecting the state cults meant that you did not want the Roman Empire to prosper. Angering the gods in such a way could bring on natural disasters and wars, and therefore, atheism was equivalent to treason, and the punishment was death. This is how and why Christians were executed in the arenas."

Top Bottom