• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    So, someone in my apartment complex (probably) has decided to start taking my packages that are getting dropped off in front of my door. So far two cable boxes and a package from a friend have been taken. Comcast confirms that they've been delivered. And UPS confirms my friend's package was dropped off at my place yesterday. I confronted everyone that was home in my complex asking them if they've seen the packages. Of course, no one claims to. So... here's what I'm thinking:

I fake mail a package to myself. Set something rather large and heavy in front of my door and attach a piece of fishing line from the bottom of it through into my apartment and attach something to the back end of it. When whoever it is decides to pick up this package the thing inside moves and, since I'll just be sitting around my living room at that time, I'll see it move and open the door and politely inform the person that if they do not return the rest of my stuff I will be calling the cops on them and intend to press whatever charges available. If they return the stuff I call it no harm and just remind them that it is a felony to steal someone else's mail.

My questions:
    1) Is this a good idea? Does someone have a better idea?
    2) After I confront them, what's the best way to control the situation? I realize it'll be a dynamic scenario, but I want my stuff back.
    3) What are the legal recourses I have on this person/is their attempted theft of property enough to justify calling the cops? And if I do call the cops, is it enough that they may obtain a warrant in search of the other stolen property?

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I don't thing that confrontation would be a good idea.
    I like the cam idea.
    But better yet, what not just get a PO Box and get your stuff delivered to the post office. Yes, you have to make a special trip but I think it's worth it.
    If you get alot of ground deliveries, I suggest getting a box from a UPS store
    Mailbox Services

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Apartments I used to live in would except packages at the front office. No you should not have to do that or get a PO Box but the thieves out there don't care what they steal. I like the cam idea that records. Then call the police. Press charges and make an example of them. Confrontation could be bad because you instigated it (BS because their theft was the instigation in my eyes) and were just looking for "trouble".

Make sure the office knows what has been happening.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I never had anything boosted from my place, but it didn't take me long to ask for any deliveries to be dropped off at the apt. complex office. I'd pick them up there.

I suggest that you start making those arrangements, too.

-J-

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Have you talked to the actual UPS delivery guy to make sure he is putting them at the right door? They may all be delivered by the same guy, who is consistently screwing up, and the recipient may be too lazy to walk to the other side of the apartments or something. If there is a North drive, South drive, or a number that could be transposed easily, try knocking on those doors.

No Lot Lizards

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Kenworth W900L
    Ups will not driver release any more packages to your apartment wid.out a signature, if you file a claim on a stolen package. Sometimes they will change the entire apartment complex to signature required, or dr at office.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Might check to see if any of the neighbor have any cameras. Like was previously stated, file a report with the post office. They also might make you file one withe P.D. Hope they catch the people.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    probably someone close. Buy a battery powered IP webcam and put it in the box pointing up, secured in place. When they open it, have a sign saying "BUSTED" and be recording the video

Top Bottom