• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I wouldn't touch a shield in .40 personally. They are under designed for the round. The frame twists excessively when shot, and that is the reason for the mag drop issue (under designed mag release + too small of a mag slot dimple + too much frame twist = dropped mag). And I, for one, was unhappy with their "fix" of just sending a different mag. I couldn't ever trust it.

if you want a shield, get one in 9mm. Those are VERY reliable and well designed for the round.

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carrying two and three guns?
    Three, four, six mags?
    What are you guys doing? Selling crack on the corner or what?
    You guys are parinoid.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Three, four, six mags?
    You guys are parinoid.

Well right now I am at lunch with my 9 year old son and 3 year old daughter. I have my 1911 and two spare mags. So 25 rounds. Some would call me paranoid. People who carry a backup weapon would say I am foolish for not being paranoid enough.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The minimum number of rounds I have on me will vary with where I'm going that day. There are times when I'm perfectly comfortable with a compact 1911 and 2 spare mags for 24 rounds total. But, there are places in the city that I need to go to once in a while where I feel much better with a Glock 20sf and 2 spare mags for 46 rounds of 10mm. My typical EDC setup is a Glock 23 and 2 spare mags for 40 rounds of .40. I try to invest in good carry gear and then carry as much as I can reasonably carry without causing a backache. No paranoia but a healthy understanding that there are people in the world that would not hesitate to do harm to either me or my family if it somehow benefits them.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    Three, four, six mags?
    You guys are parinoid.

You apparently dont read the newspapers or watch the news. This is not a kind world, and it is my repsonsibilty to protect myself and my family. If some nutjob decides to put me or my family in danger, I will be prepared to protect them.

If you choose not to be in a position to protect yourself and your loved ones that is your business, but dont be critical of those who are responsible.

I would rather be paranoid than irresponsible. :)

Last edited:

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I thought my 2 shot derringer was a little light on capacity. I think 6 or 7 is good for CCW. I don't know of any prolonged gun fights that didn't involve law enforcement. A bunch of rounds is just extra space and weight that I don't see a need for personally.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Three, four, six mags?
    You guys are parinoid.

It's probably the worst case scenario I could imagine, but look at the aftermath of the terrorist attack on the Westgate mall in Africa earlier this year. I doubt you'd make it through a scenario like that with just a revolver or one mag in a semi auto. That's why at least 2 spare mags makes sense in a crowded place where an active shooter could be a possible threat.

Now if I'm just running up the street to get some gas or use the ATM, I might not be as concerned about the extra rounds since the most likely threat may be a mugger or convenience store robber.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    Three, four, six mags?
    You guys are parinoid.

AGAIN. I said I work as an ARMED SECURITY OFFICER. Im not a mall cop. I wear body armor for god sakes! I am as well outfitted and armed as a police officer. I normally work along 34th st near Moller rd and Lafayette rd. Not in the worst part of town, but I wont turn my back on anyone. I am a security officer for multiple private properties. There has been a chain of armed robberies in the area targeting people late at night. I don't know about you, but my understanding is that you want more firepower than the person thats trying to harm you. Have you ever been approached by a group of 5 thugs looking to hurt you? I have, its not fun. Learn the details of my engagement before you call me paranoid. Last I checked, MOST police officers have AT LEAST 2 weapons within reach. Oh, and they wear body armor. Hows that for paranoid?

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    AGAIN. I said I work as an ARMED SECURITY OFFICER. Im not a mall cop. I wear body armor for god sakes! I am as well outfitted and armed as a police officer. I normally work along 34th st near Moller rd and Lafayette rd. Not in the worst part of town, but I wont turn my back on anyone. I am a security officer for multiple private properties. There has been a chain of armed robberies in the area targeting people late at night. I don't know about you, but my understanding is that you want more firepower than the person thats trying to harm you. Have you ever been approached by a group of 5 thugs looking to hurt you? I have, its not fun. Learn the details of my engagement before you call me paranoid. Last I checked, MOST police officers have AT LEAST 2 weapons within reach. Oh, and they wear body armor. Hows that for paranoid?

Paranoid? I'd call it "prepared". My MINIMUM when in deep concealment at work is pocket carrying an LCP (6+1) plus a spare mag. Of late I've upped it to a G36 or G26 tucked IWB with a spare mag. When out and and about with the family, the ante is upped, so to speak - wifey and I both with G26s with G19 spare mags, and the LCP as backup in the pocket with a spare for it!

Last edited:

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    You apparently dont read the newspapers or watch the news. This is not a kind world, and it is my repsonsibilty to protect myself and my family. If some nutjob decides to put me or my family in danger, I will be prepared to protect them.

If you choose not to be in a position to protect yourself and your loved ones that is your business, but dont be critical of those who are responsible.

I would rather be paranoid than irresponsible. :)

Amen! :yesway:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Paranoid or prepared? I think this is like real estate: location, location, location. Unfortunately the bad guys are moving a lot more locations to the prepared column.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have Shield 9mm and highly recommend it. It's a fantastic gun. However, rather than getting the 9mm for one more round I would go 9mm because of recoil. I've never shot the Shield in .40. But I don't really like shooting my dad's full size Glock 22 in .40 because of the recoil, so I can't imagine I'd like shooting the Shield in .40.

My wife says the Shield has less felt recoil for her than the Glock. I don't know if its spring rate, bore axis, grip size fitting her hand better or what. She did not like the Glock at all, but chose the .40 Shield for her carry gun. We probably would have went with the 9mm, but it would have added another caliber to our collection. I like simple logistics. A few calibers to stock and reload for vs a bazillion to try and keep fed.

dunningben

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Bremen, IN
    Lets see, on a typical day i have a Glock 19 on my hip, 15 rds, 2 Glock 17 rd mag on my other side, a 1911 in a Galco shoulder holster with three 8 rd mags. Oh and the Ruger LCP in my back pocket, 7 rds. So 80 rds, three guns and all concealed. Nobodies the wiser.

Not saying that this should be a standard anywhere but even if you have a two shot derringer that's better than nothing.

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    Lots of people talking about comfort and shooting what you like. +1 for me. Carry extra magazines if you like feel of a single stack. I haven't fired one yet but I am thinking the Shield in 9 or the SR9 might be the next everyday carry.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Three, four, six mags?
    ...You guys are parinoid.

One man's paranoia is another man's prudence.

According to the following polls:

• Way over half (66%) of INGOers carry at least 1 spare mag and a significant fraction carry 2 spare mags.
    • About 47% of carry a BUG at least sometime.
    • About 13% carry a tertiary gun at least sometime.
    Reference polls:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...90899-do-you-carry-extra-mag-hi-cap-no-9.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ense/121497-carrying-spare-magazine-s-10.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-defense/227052-who-carrys-bug-how-often.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-defense/236323-how-many-carry-third-gun.html

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    One man's paranoia is another man's prudence.

According to the following polls:

• Way over half (66%) of INGOers carry at least 1 spare mag and a significant fraction carry 2 spare mags.
    • About 47% of carry a BUG at least sometime.
    • About 13% carry a tertiary gun at least sometime.
    Reference polls:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...90899-do-you-carry-extra-mag-hi-cap-no-9.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ense/121497-carrying-spare-magazine-s-10.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-defense/227052-who-carrys-bug-how-often.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-defense/236323-how-many-carry-third-gun.html

OK, after a quick Google search of "tertiary" to make sure I wasnt being put down, I would have to say yep, all of the above applies to me, and my wife. An extra mag is only common sense, if you carry an auto pistol, as the first thing in immediate action stoppage is to Tap Rap, Bang. If your mag is bunk, then you have nothing but a shiny paper weight to hold onto if the gun goes down. Add to that that I was raised to be prepared, and one is none, two is one, keeping few extras on hand is just common sense.

If I am rocking a revolver that particular day, then a few speed loaders is just standard equipment, as I would hate to run into 6 bad guys and only have 5 bullets to pass out.

In the normal day, I have backed down to keeping only one carry gun on me, but if I am going anywhere that is of questionable safety, then a BUG will be in a pocket along with the EDC. Beyond that, its not that difficult to drop a .22 derringer in the change pocket, just in case #1 and #2 go down or run dry. I have even been known to keep a long gun cable locked to the car in the trunk when I know it would be plausibly reachable to me in the situation that I am going into.

Along those same lines, I do carry a fire extinguisher and jumper cables in my car, I try to never let the gas tank get under half full, and I keep a few dollars stashed in the back of my wallet, just in case.
    Nervous, paranoid? Maybe in some peoples eyes, but I prefer to think of it as being prepared, as do any that have ever benefited from my being prepared in an emergency situation.

Glocksmith

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Lafayette
    I'd probably keep the revolver, and if you want a single stack, then get a Shield in 9mm. That said, I'd say go rent or find someone who has a Shield in 40 and will let you shoot it. What is your concern with the 9mm? What .40 guns have you shot? Shooting the .40 in a smaller/lighter gun can be a different experience.

Personally the single stack gun that I still have to hang on my belt or wear IWB is no advantage to me over a double stack, as I can do either easily with a Glock 26 or 19 and have additional capacity.

+1 on single stack vs double stack. G23/27 for me over something smaller when it comes to IWB. Hard to beat what you already have with the J frame unless you're in an environment conducive to needing something more.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    More capacity means nothing if you don't like the caliber.

Carry what you shoot best. Nothing else matters.

As for the Shield, I'd love to try one out. But I'm extremely happy with my Glock 26.
    I agree. The better you shoot it, the fewer rounds you need.

Top Bottom