Do you carry an extra mag? Hi-cap or no?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you carry a spare mag? Hi-cap or no?

• Total voters

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm wondering how many people that carry on a daily basis also carry 1 or more spare mags. Also, I'm wondering if there a correlation between mag capacity and people that carry additional mags.

Personally, I carry an M&P9c and I feel that 12+1 rounds of 9mm is adequate for personal defense. Not only that, but I also feel the chances of needing to do a reload in a defensive situation are very slim. This is just my personal situation and thinking...others may feel different obviously. I'd just like to get some feedback and see what other people are doing.

For the poll: If you carry a round in the chamber, count that as part of your total round capacity.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I'm wondering how many people that carry on a daily basis also carry 1 or more spare mags. Also, I'm wondering if there a correlation between mag capacity and people that carry additional mags.

Personally, I carry an M&P9c and I feel that 12+1 rounds of 9mm is adequate for personal defense. Not only that, but I also feel the chances of needing to do a reload in a defensive situation are very slim. This is just my personal situation and thinking...others may feel different obviously. I'd just like to get some feedback and see what other people are doing.

For the poll: If you carry a round in the chamber, count that as part of your total round capacity.

I carry two mags both are 12 rounders...there are more reasons to reload than an empty mag.:twocents:

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I carry two mags both are 12 rounders...there are more reasons to reload than an empty mag.:twocents:

Good point.

And I also realize that many people carry different "load outs" in different situations. I'm sort of wondering what percentage of people who carry something like a G36 or Kahr CM9 also carry a spare mag.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    You should always carry the same rounds no matter what for self defense, and ensure those are reliable in your weapon. Typically the spare mag is carried for; 1. reloading in the event the situation dictates it, 2. Non-diagnostic malfunction clearing is largely built on the principle that stripping the mag, rack the slide, inserting the new one and racking the slide will get the gun up and running faster and more efficiently than spending time and assessing the malfunction and then decided what to do about it.

Carry a spare.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    15+1+15= 31......number actually needed is always dependant on the situation, but I feel comfortable in knowing that effective use of that many rounds can provide for adequate escape and evasion of an aggressor if incapacitation due to cover is not possible.....I only need enough on me to get me to my car, where I have additional ammo....theoretically enough to get me home...where I'm SET

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    EH... I don't know what I may be carrying on a particular day (and nobody else does either :)) but I will have a spare mag with me no matter what it may be.... just because. :)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I carry 2 spare mags. All together, around 46 rounds

Why? If I have to reload, any malfunctions that can occur. Nobody knows how many rounds it will take to save their and their families lives. It's always better to overestimate.

Plus, if you do have to use your gun, what about the trip home? I would not want to go home with an empty gun.

It's ALWAYS better to carry at least 1 spare.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hmm, good feeback. I've never been super concerned about magazine malfunctions. I figure that even in a double feed situation, I can simply reinsert the same mag, but I suppose mag springs can fail and whatnot.

Apologies to the revolver folks. I could have made my wording a bit more inclusive, I reckon.

I always thought one 33rd mag would be enough, but I'm starting to reconsider.

I could see how that could get a little expensive with the SD ammo. Got to be prepared though.

Do you keep the mag in the gun when you carry...that seems like it could be awkward. :):

Top Bottom