• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you carry one or more spare magazines?

• Total voters

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Do you carry any spare magazine(s) with your semi-auto pistol?
    If you do, why and how many?
    If you dont, why not?

I know that some people just carry one magazine in their firerarm because they think that the capacity of their magazine (10, 15, 20 rounds ...) is more than enough for any type of SD situation.

Some in the other hand think hat they need to carry more than one magazine.That so much to have more ammo but because if you drop your magazine for some reason (while the gun is in the holster or while you draw) and you lose it or it breaks on the ground then your gun is useless.
    You just have one round left in the chamber if you were carrying +1.

Some others may just want to carry as much ammo as they can.

Just let us know what is your philosophy on spare magazines.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I always carry 2 spare. More ammo, you never know how many rounds you'll need to stop a threat. Plus malfunctions are usually fixed by replacing the mag.

After the training classes I have, which is the best thing you can spend money on, I'll always carry 2 mags. Those classes are very eye opening. They will change how you think about everything.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I carry 1 extra mag because you never know what can happen. For example you could have a double feed and have to remove your magazine to clear and get you gun going again and drop your mag in the heat of the moment. If you have a larger mag and are a smaller person it adds a small amount of difficulty but I carry a single stack mag so it is barely noticable in a pocket or on my belt. It cant hurt but only help to carry an extra mag.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I carry a 1911, usually with an extra mag in the pocket. I am going to start carrying two as soon as I get a good belt, holster, and magazine carrier.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I carry either a Browning HiPower, or a Beretta 92FS. I always carry at least 2 spare magazines, sometimes 4, and once in a while 6. Yes, I do occasionally carry six extra mags.

The Beretta mags are all 18 rounds, and the HiPower mags are all 15.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have a small soft pistol case that I keep in the car. I have two spare mags one I keep in a pouch. I also carry a fixed blade knife, light, light pouch, and extra batteries.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What hapend?
    Did you drop the mag at the range or did that happend inside the gun?

I was shooting a one handed drill and the magazine decided to die right then and there. Floorplate, spring and follower, along with 5 or 6 cartridges hit the deck at my feet.

Malard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    ^ Now that is a bad day!

I carry two on me, but not all the time if im in the house or in my truck I keep them in there pouches in the glove box. When im out they are on my weak side.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Reason 1: Last stats I read suggested an avg of 8 rnds were likely to be needed per attacker. Given that premise, my usual primary carry has enough on board for 2 attackers (hopefully). I carry a spare in case I'm invited to a larger party. People who carry smaller guns with less capacity need a spare mag even more whether they realize it or not.

Reason 2: Aside from bad ammunition, magazine hiccups are a top reason for semiauto malfunctions. So, I carry a spare mag regardless of what I'm carrying as a primary.

Bonus: A spare mag also balances out the weight on the belt a bit.

Also carry a BUG, but I suppose that's another thread.

I'm interested in reasons, other than laziness/too much trouble/inconvenient/I'll never need it/insert appropriate whine or denial here, etc. why people don't carry a backup mag.

Last edited:

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    If I carry an extra magazine, it's just one extra Glock 26 magazine with a +1 extension on it. The only mag carrier I have now is a Blackhawk. I find it too be too bulky for summer dress but in the winter it is comfortable with heavier layers.

Occasionally I will carry the extra magazine in a coat pocket. It I don't keep the extra magazine on my person then I will at least have it in my vehicle when out and about.

johenz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Indianapols, IN
    I carry 2 spare mags on my weak side. My EDC gun is a 1911. I carry primarily to be prepared for a malfunction, but a secondary motiviator is that the stupidest reason I could think of to die in a gunfight is because you ran outta bullets.

Top Bottom