• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    Ive always used $10 surplus machetes to clear thorn bushes in my woods, but ive been wanting something that holds an edge a bit better, and can handle /25 to .5" thick stems without trouble. I thought id go with the $20-40 gerber offerings, but there are many bad reviews on them. This one looks like a winner so far...any others to consider?

Ontario sp8 Machete Survival spec8
    TS-OKC003_540.jpg

Last edited:

following2dp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    I was able to sever 1.5" branches with single swing of my Bad Axe to help clear out a tree my parents were cutting down. The blade is strong and thin, making it very easy to just slice right through wood with a good swing. If trying to cut down a rather large tree just remember if you get it wedged in, the weight of the tree can press down on the blade making it stuck. (I have done this) :rolleyes:
    It has held an edge after years of using it as a throwing knife, and I can't think of better way to abuse an edge than throwing.
    Bad Axe : Throwing Axe (Cold Steel Knives)

I have no experience with the knives you mentioned, however Ontario makes good blades.
    I don't think I would drop 50 bucks plus shipping on a knife I'm gonna beat to **** when I know the Cold Steel machetes hold up very well for around 20 bucks.
    Me and my buddy have had good experiences with Cold Steel machetes.

If It were shrubs I was combatting, I would probly choose a different style blade than a strait blade.
    Ghurki's for example are known for being good choppers.

BTW: the site you showed is perfect for all my mall ninja needs!
    I can finally buy a nice grappling hook!
    TS-NINJAHOOK_540.jpg

And Defend Myself in style with this Hello Kitty brassknuckles keychain!
    black_cat_defense_key_chain_540.jpg

Last edited:

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    lol, at first i thought you were suggesting the grappling hook to pull the bushes out...that would work with a 4wheeler, ill still need to cut my way into the throns to get at the root ball.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I have several of the Gerber Gators. ($17 Sportsmans Guide)
    They are built well and do the jobs I need done.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Everyone that I "know" online who uses a machete frequently will typically use the cheapest one they can find, especially if they are traveling and will just buy what is available locally. In Latin America, the Tramontina brand is very popular. I think they are made in Brazil.

Machetes aren't really knives that are just bigger (although they can serve that role). They're softer and more impact resistant, so the differences between a "good" machete and a "serviceable" machete are probably minimal.

Handle style/shape would play a difference, though, but that can be customized.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a couple different machetes that I have aquired over the years, which I use to clear out brush at the back of my property, but my favorite is my $8, 18" Corona w/its bright pink handle.

medium.jpg

Corona Machete 18-inch (MA-60041)

You have to sharpen them because they are dull as hell from the factory but after you put an edge on them they are the most comfortable machete that I've ever owned, I can chop all day with it without having to wear gloves.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Woodman's Pals are expensive, but nice. Got one at an auction sale for $10. Ontario Knife company makes good ones. As does Martindale (UK), although they're a bit harder to find. +1 on the Gerber Gator. Nice machete and the saw back is actually usable. You should also look at the Barteaux blades (made in US). +1 on Tramontina and Cold Steel.

ANY of these are significantly better than the crap machetes at Wal-Mart. If you have to use them all day you will notice the difference.

Since you're in Bloomington, you might be interested to know that Trail Dust Army Navy Surplus on the west side had a couple/few Ontarios in stock last time I stopped by.

speedsix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    fort wayne
    I have been using machetes since I was about 11. That is over 20 years. In all that time, I have tried many, many types of large blades. I have tried dozens of different type of blade from really long thin machetes to sort heavy Kukris and everything in between.

What have I learned in those 20 years? The best machete is my old Ontario U.S. issue 18" machete. Ontario - 18" Military Machete

I have tried long blades and they don't work as well on heavier limbs. I have tried shorter and they don't have enough reach to keep your knuckles from getting tore up from the thorns. The 18" is a perfect balance between size, weight, legth and speed. What it lacks in weight, it makes up for in speed.

I still have my first machete and I have been using it for 20 years. They are built to last for sure. I had to re do the rivits on the handle but it has stayed tight since. I tape the grip with friction tape to avoid slips. I can cut through a 2" branch with one easy swipe if it live wood.

I spent the last 5 years experimenting and buying thousands of dollars of knives and blades trying to find something better than my old Ontario Machete but never did.

buck119

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    South East Indiana
    I have been using machetes since I was about 11. That is over 20 years. In all that time, I have tried many, many types of large blades. I have tried dozens of different type of blade from really long thin machetes to sort heavy Kukris and everything in between.

What have I learned in those 20 years? The best machete is my old Ontario U.S. issue 18" machete. Ontario - 18" Military Machete

I have tried long blades and they don't work as well on heavier limbs. I have tried shorter and they don't have enough reach to keep your knuckles from getting tore up from the thorns. The 18" is a perfect balance between size, weight, legth and speed. What it lacks in weight, it makes up for in speed.

I still have my first machete and I have been using it for 20 years. They are built to last for sure. I had to re do the rivits on the handle but it has stayed tight since. I tape the grip with friction tape to avoid slips. I can cut through a 2" branch with one easy swipe if it live wood.

I spent the last 5 years experimenting and buying thousands of dollars of knives and blades trying to find something better than my old Ontario Machete but never did.

Simply true. My Ontario is a 12" WW2 surplus model. I've been using it for 25 years and plan on using it for 25 more. Ontario machetes are made from tempered, high carbon steel and have been in use by our military forever. Why reinvent the wheel? I will concede that the Cold Steel machetes (the cheap ones) are equally as nice as the Ontario imo though.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    I have a army surplus machete that I bought over 30 years ago. It was made by Ontario knife company. Blade is still as good as the day I bought it,. Broke the handle trying to throw it once, so I had to make a new handle, but have never had any other problems with it. I cut a lot of brush and tree limbs with it every year and it always holds a good edge. I sharpen it with a file once or twice a year. With a good swing will cut through 1.5 inch branches sometimes thicker. Bought my sons both one at the local army surplus store last year, cost me about $20.00 each. They seem as good as my old one.

Last edited:

speedsix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    fort wayne
    I have a army surplus machete that I bought over 30 years ago. It was made by Ontario knife company. Blade is still as good as the day I bought it,. Broke the handle trying to throw it once, so I had to make a new handle, but have never had any other problems with it. I cut a lot of brush and tree limbs with it every year and it always holds a good edge. I sharpen it with a file once or twice a year. With a good swing will cut through 1.5 inch branches sometimes thicker. Bought my sons both one at the local army surplus store last year, cost me about $20.00 each. They seem as good as my old one.

I didn't want to say but that is how my handle on my machete got loose as well. When my dad first gave it to me, I tried using it as a throwing knife in the back yard. It started to rattle and I stopped. I decided, it was not meant for that kind of abuse.

I have used for what it was meant for ever since and it has been great. A has got a chip in the edge once in while but nothing serious.

I have seen a newer model that has a thicker blade than my old 18" U.S. Issue machete. It didn't end up working as well.

Maybe it is what you get used to or something but that old 18" Ontario works so well. Any longer and it seems a machete get whippy in the hand can't cut the thick stuff. Any shorter and won't slash through the light veg as well. The 18" seems well balanced and almost perfect to me.

I have a 12" Ontario as well and it is just as well made. I took it with me on my last hiking trip because it would fit in my pack where the 18" wouldn't. It was fine for light camp duty but I wish I had the 18" when I had to cut the larger branches.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    speedsix I agree with you on the 18" Ontario. I have tried other machettes and they don't have the same feel or balance. Its what I'm used to and none of the others feel right. It made short work of all the branches in my yard after the big ice storm we had in January.

I also got mine when I was young, I was 13, and just had to try to throw it in the back yard. Got the rotation wrong one throw and hit on the handle thats how it broke. I never tried it again. Oh to be that young and foolish again lol.

I take mine with me on every camping trip. It has covered many miles strapped to the side of my pack. Never found anything to match it. It will chop as well as a small hatchet and mow down brush to clear a campsite.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    i wish i saw everyones 18" recommendations but I picked up a 22" ontario with a molded handle. I gave it a test run, and it did ok on the bushes with dryer branches...the freshly growing thorn bushes were harder to get through. I think they were too fleshy and fiberous so they took more hacks than I would have prefered. Otherwise it seems to work well and keeps me away from the thorns. thanks for the input

Top Bottom