• ...and so much more!
  • waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    Waloidian,

Yea 18" is the way to go, do you think that there is still a chance to return/exchange your 22" for an 18"?
    too late, i went out and used it...it as cheap enough that it isnt a big deal to get an 18" later. the 22 worked ok, but it didnt cut as swiftly as I would have expected. maybe a sharpening will help

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I have been using machetes since I was about 11. That is over 20 years. In all that time, I have tried many, many types of large blades. I have tried dozens of different type of blade from really long thin machetes to sort heavy Kukris and everything in between.

What have I learned in those 20 years? The best machete is my old Ontario U.S. issue 18" machete. Ontario - 18" Military Machete

I have tried long blades and they don't work as well on heavier limbs. I have tried shorter and they don't have enough reach to keep your knuckles from getting tore up from the thorns. The 18" is a perfect balance between size, weight, legth and speed. What it lacks in weight, it makes up for in speed.

I still have my first machete and I have been using it for 20 years. They are built to last for sure. I had to re do the rivits on the handle but it has stayed tight since. I tape the grip with friction tape to avoid slips. I can cut through a 2" branch with one easy swipe if it live wood.

I spent the last 5 years experimenting and buying thousands of dollars of knives and blades trying to find something better than my old Ontario Machete but never did.

the ontario machete's win..HARD. My favorite is an 18 cut down to 16 inches, and convex ground by mike Billman at grindstone cutlery. done this way, its is a cutting, wood splitting machine and can most of the time outpreforms 6-800 dollar busse knives.

speedsix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    fort wayne
    Here is an idea for you. Cut down that 22" Ontario to whatever length you want. Put a sheepsfoot end on it and you will love it.

I just got a 18" Ontario that was cut down in this way to about 13". The sheepsfoot blade is great. There is no reason for an upsweep on a machete. It just ends up pushing the branches out of the way. The sheepsfoot design clips off twigs all the way out to the tip which is great. Also, you can just swing the point into wood to hold it when not in use.

I will have to get some pics of my new sheepsfoot but it is great. I have a polished convex edge on it and it will out cut any knife I own in the size range. It out chops my RTAK II, Ranger RD-9, Scrapyard Junk Yard Dog and other heavy duty expensive knives. It may sound like BS but this $20 machete will out preform just about anything on the planet including $500 Busses.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Regrind that machete to a bit longer edge more of a convex or scandi grind. and it becomes a whole new animal. It takes a little work but I have made plenty of campfire with my 18"

Top Bottom