• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Divorce attorneys are required to take a course on how to string it along to maximize billable hours. I'm not surprised at your experience. I also know that in my field, people have been punished for far less.

I was content with showing up in court (as I planned) and having my attorney 'charge off' the balance of what I owed him. I would have loved to get in touch w/ the BAR and file a formal complaint, but the case drug on for almost 1.5 years as it were, and I came out on top, so I let it lie.

This wasn't a divorce situation BTW. It was custody/child support related.

My ex has been collecting support, my daughter had been living (for almost 2 yrs) with her grandmother, followed by her aunt WHILE my ex was still collecting child support. I received a letter from the state of IN that they wanted to collect $12.5k of tax returns to repay TANF. This is what prompted me to take my ex back to court. In addition to getting the court ball rolling, I immediately contacted the state about the TANF issue because she can't collect support and TANF at the same time.. Turns out the ex was living in WI, my daughter was living in MI (with her autn) and the ex was getting IN food stamps, had my daughter on IN hoosier healthwise, collecting TANF and child support.

Let's just say that the week before christmas that year, when my daughter called me really upset because her mom was arrested, I had some explaining to do, but my wife and I felt pretty good about things :D

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Divorce attorneys are required to take a course on how to string it along to maximize billable hours. I'm not surprised at your experience. I also know that in my field, people have been punished for far less.
    When I got divorced - I did it myself, including drafting the agreements and filing the paperwork with the court.

Had the now-ex wife sign everything before we went to court. The agreement was, as a judge would see it, extremely unfair as I kept basically everything but her clothes/necessities but at the end of the day it's what she and I agreed upon because I was keeping the house (she had no way to pay for it, been jobless for a while) and had nowhere to put any of the stuff.

I told her if she wanted the house and stuff - she could have it, but she would have to indemnify me and hold me harmless which she very well couldn't do.

The judge questioned our agreement and her willingness to accept it pretty heavily as though he felt she was entitled to more, but thankfully it really was a solid agreement we came to both verbally and then written.

That said, if children were involved (I had none) it would have likely been an entirely different story and an attorney likely would have been necessary.

At the same time? Slut.. :D
    There is no suit yet, just a criminal hearing. The suit can't/won't come until after she's acquitted. Suing the city/police for doing something after being convicted is not exactly easy and I doubt any attorneys would take the case at that point.

Filing suit before the criminal case is over would be 'jumping the gun' so to speak. She could do so, but likely the judge would want to see the outcome of the criminal proceedings and would likely postpone the hearing in the civil trial.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I was content with showing up in court (as I planned) and having my attorney 'charge off' the balance of what I owed him. I would have loved to get in touch w/ the BAR and file a formal complaint, but the case drug on for almost 1.5 years as it were, and I came out on top, so I let it lie.

This wasn't a divorce situation BTW. It was custody/child support related.

My ex has been collecting support, my daughter had been living (for almost 2 yrs) with her grandmother, followed by her aunt WHILE my ex was still collecting child support. I received a letter from the state of IN that they wanted to collect $12.5k of tax returns to repay TANF. This is what prompted me to take my ex back to court. In addition to getting the court ball rolling, I immediately contacted the state about the TANF issue because she can't collect support and TANF at the same time.. Turns out the ex was living in WI, my daughter was living in MI (with her autn) and the ex was getting IN food stamps, had my daughter on IN hoosier healthwise, collecting TANF and child support.

Let's just say that the week before christmas that year, when my daughter called me really upset because her mom was arrested, I had some explaining to do, but my wife and I felt pretty good about things :D

FSA FTW

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    So long as she understands her mom was arrested due to her mom's own actions and not due to you.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    So long as she understands her mom was arrested due to her mom's own actions and not due to you.

Basically, I explained to my daughter, that her mom did some nasty stuff and got caught. I also explained that someone with a badge came to my house and wanted to ask me some questions. If I didn't answer the questions, I might have gotten in trouble as well so I had to answer them honestly.

She understands that I wasn't the one that put her mom in jail. It was her mom's own choices that landed her there. :)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Update, CIB?

At least an update that you're allowed to speak about? I presume you've heard the results of the Bench Trial by now?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm not. The law does not operate on a normal-person timetable.

Give us non-lawyer types an idea of why these things seem to take so long. Is it likely this judge pouring over law books and transcripts, consulting with legal scholars, agonizing over the nuances of this cast to arrive at the just decision?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Give us non-lawyer types an idea of why these things seem to take so long. Is it likely this judge pouring over law books and transcripts, consulting with legal scholars, agonizing over the nuances of this cast to arrive at the just decision?

HA!

I don't know the judge here, but in my experience, 1 week is around the shortest time for a ruling. Why so long? How many hearings and bench trials were there last week? How many this week? Writing decisions takes time and doing that ca only happen when you aren't actually on the bench....and if I was a government employee, I wouldn't work much overtime.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom